←  [EN] Third-Party Development

Forums

»

Vu+ Solo support

neku's Photo neku 10 Feb 2011

Hi, would it be very hard to develop an image for the Solo? I think it's quite equavialent to DM500HD.

Like Vu+ Duo <-> DM8000.

pieterg's Photo pieterg 10 Feb 2011

you don't get the point I think

neku's Photo neku 10 Feb 2011

Maybe...

But I didn't get a proper answer.

dAF2000's Photo dAF2000 10 Feb 2011

The whole thread is about your question. There are no plans for a Solo image now.

Pedro_Newbie's Photo Pedro_Newbie 10 Feb 2011

Hey guys as the PLI team say lets not make this a brand war please

VIX was a hobbie of Andyblac so that he and only he had an image that he could easily use in his home and that then stemed into offering it to everyone else to use. and it was liked so it was made more mainstream.
with in all of this any never tried nor ment to comete with any main stream image team and he never puts any one of them down.
PLi is in my opinion one of the best images about and thats why VIX decided to use the core it was never ment to be in compotition or to clash with them it was purly for the first reason and that was to make the image easy to use.
now with respect to joining well we are not mainstream image builder as such we are hobbists and we like to keep it that way.
Andy is happy with his image and he uses it. All the VIX team is happy and any one else thats wants to use it is more than welcome to do so.
And thats how it will stay :D

But why the secrecy?
I read in my e-mail

We have changed source (hence the long delay in release) to the Open PLi base. Many thanks to them for allowing us to use their base . If they wish to see any of the source code (without ViX specific enhancements of course) just pm Andyblac or Sicilian, and we will gladly send them on to them.

That isn't nice I think (and against the terms of use)

VU+NL's Photo VU+NL 10 Feb 2011

Very strange indeed: in this open source community (the strength of Linux; Power to the People!), using the sources provided by others (= the main job being done by someone else) and not showing the improvements of which you are proud?

Why take advantage of the hard labour of another group, and not letting them/anyone take advantage of yours? I can't understand anyone would like to act like that in an open community.

Puzzles me /images/smiley/more_teasing/14.gif

Or they are kidding us /images/smiley/more_word_slogans/3.gif/images/smiley/more_word_slogans/2.gif/images/smiley/more_word_slogans/1.gif

I am not familiar with regulations in this field, but it does not seem to be correct behaviour /images/smiley/more/021.gif

Dream1975's Photo Dream1975 10 Feb 2011

Hey guys as the PLI team say lets not make this a brand war please

VIX was a hobbie of Andyblac so that he and only he had an image that he could easily use in his home and that then stemed into offering it to everyone else to use. and it was liked so it was made more mainstream.

with in all of this any never tried nor ment to comete with any main stream image team and he never puts any one of them down.

PLi is in my opinion one of the best images about and thats why VIX decided to use the core it was never ment to be in compotition or to clash with them it was purly for the first reason and that was to make the image easy to use.

now with respect to joining well we are not mainstream image builder as such we are hobbists and we like to keep it that way.

Andy is happy with his image and he uses it. All the VIX team is happy and any one else thats wants to use it is more than welcome to do so.

And thats how it will stay :D

It's not about a brand war /images/smiley/wink.gif

The PLi members are also hobbyists (because it's open source and free of charge, the members can't make a living out of it). I would think if the VIX hobbyists would join PLi, and develop also directly in PLi the enhancements VIX makes are available for everyone also. PLi has a build environment and the source is open, so the more developers enhance PLi the better (I would think). This way the solo can also be supported by PLi (the VIX team can do this) and there will be one image which can have all the advantages of more developing power and there needn't be work done twice. So every developer has more time to develop instead of also making the image available, user support etc.

For example Milo used to make his own images also. When PLi made their source open Milo joined PLi. Now he has more time to make good stuff in PLi (like the XMLTV importer, amBX plugins but also numerous enhancements in PLi). This was a win-win situation for everybody. Maybe the VIX team can think about it and also join PLi.

VU+NL's Photo VU+NL 11 Feb 2011

I have tried to get some idea about VIX's attitude towards the status of their image: see here. From their reaction you can imagine I fear the worst for future cooperation.
I tried a second time: see here. Again the reaction was very rude.

As VIX made full use of years of PLi's hard labour, I can only imagine that they have a lot (of financial interest??) to hide.
Anyway: enough reason for me to boycott them (for what it is worth....).

neku's Photo neku 11 Feb 2011

enough reason for me to boycott them (for what it is worth....).

I will do the same...

Sicilian's Photo Sicilian 11 Feb 2011

VU+ NL, why are you intent on creating some-kind of public debate??? Financial interest from whom??? Do me a favour stop trying to insinuate anything about the VIX team! For the record WE GET NO FINANCIAL HELP FROM ANY RECEIVER MANUFACTURER!

For your information Andyblac had posted information back to PLi with regards to building Solo images and had also offered help for other fixes, so how can you sit back and state As VIX made full use of years of PLi's hard labour ???

I've tried to explain to you in pm's that we are not in a position to discuss this publicly at this stage and have asked you to kindly respect our wishes.

dAF2000's Photo dAF2000 11 Feb 2011

A public discussion is indeed not the right moment now. We will inform the users if anything new is to say and till then I'll close this thread.