Photo

OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 mike69

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 February 2011 - 18:43

Please, could some body help me how to change boot logo in OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1?
I have Dreambox 7020.
Thank you for any advice.

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #2 mike69

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:18

Yesterday night I have found a solution...

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #3 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:46

tell us here, it can help other users too

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #4 mike69

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:07

Hi,

sorry for so late answer but I was "out" for some days.

OK, for everybody who hates the boot logo in OpenPLi as much as I did here is the procedure how to change it.
I found something on net and changed some parts of the tutorial to make it work on PLi.

The dimension of the picture must be 720×576 pixels in PAL format.
The boot image is stored in /boot with name bootlogo.mvi (now I am not sure with the name because in the meantime I have uninstalled PLi so I can not check,
but it should be something like that - check it. This name is also mentioned bellow so then use the right name which you find in /boot folder.
There is also another logo - something like bootlogo_waiting - it is the second picture during booting proces and can be changed the same way as

described bellow).

The program we will use to create the pictures is called TMPGEnc.
www.tmpgenc.net
[list=1]
[*]Download TMPGEnc from official site
[*]Unzip the file to your chosen destination.
[*]Double click the ‘TPMGEnc.exe MPEG Encoder’ file and click ‘OK’ on the small pop up window. Then click ‘Cancel’ on the ‘Project Wizard (1/5)’ window that appears.
[*]Next screen, bottom right…’Stream type’, check the box ‘ES (Video only)’.
[*]Next, bottom left…’Video source:’ click on ‘Browse’ and select the background/photo that you want as your new logo.
[*]Next, bottom left… ‘Output file name:’ click on browse and choose the path for your finished ‘new’ boot background photo and edit the name to ‘bootlogo’ (minus the ‘….’ and in lower case) ie: the line that apperars in the ‘Output file name:’ should read similar to C:\Documents and Settings\Whatever\My Documents\bootlogo ( the actual name of the photo does NOT appear).
[*]Next, bottom right…click on ‘Setting’ and check that the value settings are:[/list]
…..’Stream type:’ = MPEG-1 Video
…..’Size’ = 720 x576 pixels
…..’Aspect ratio:’ = 1:1 (VGA)
…..’Frame rate:’ = 25 fps
…..’Rate control mode:’ = Constant bitrate (CBR)
…..’Bitrate:’ = 12000
…..’Motion search precision:’ = Normal

When checked, click ‘OK’ to exit the screen.
Top left click ‘Start’, if all goes well, the ‘100%’ bar appears and your completed ‘bootlogo’ file is in your chosen ‘Output…’ location.
For OpenPLi is necessary to rename the extension. TMPGEnc will create .m1v so all you need to do is to rename it to .mvi
Then you can transfer the image to the Dream. But there is a problem to overwrite the original bootlogo.
So telnet this command:

mount-o rw, remount / boot

This will allow you to overwrite the original bootlogo.mvi

Done.
I hope this will help you.

Let me know.

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #5 xener

• 264 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:12

anybody here hate openpli logo ? :-)

btw, i tought receivers are for watching tv channels, not bootlogos..

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #6 mike69

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:16

Do you like kids so much that you need to see them even during switching box?
That is not my case.
You should concentrate to tutorial...

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #7 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:21

anybody here hate openpli logo ? :-)

btw, i tought receivers are for watching tv channels, not bootlogos..

and for listening to the radio! So my boot logo in my heavily modded OpenPli is a nice photo of our three Grandchildren. This was a crafty ruse, so that the wifey doesn't mind me rebooting the dm500 after I've done some more tweaks, LOL!

Then I went one better, and created a symlink in /var/tuxbox/config/enigma/pictures named radio.mvi - which links to the bootlogo in squashed root. So in Radio Mode, we see our three little darlings on screen.

I still use Tuxbox LogoViewer (from the old dBox2 days) to make new boot logos. It's much quicker and easier than the method described above...

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #8 silverfox0786

• 13 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2011 - 02:38

ok i looked at this tutorial on another site and decided to search here before posting a thread

i use the method described above with my jpg image and upon conversion i get a problem

the bootlogo becomes very pixilated and nasty

im guessing considering hemertje did not know the answer to this pli wont

so any one can help her much apreciated

also just curious how did pli do it on the original image with the child

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #9 Alias1

• 575 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 6 March 2011 - 02:05

Change the bitrate to 40000 :)

DM800se Vu+Duo ET-9000 Vu+Ultimo

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #10 silverfox0786

• 13 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:56

finally some one with the answer

well done mate thanks

worked a treat

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #11 mamujim

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 March 2011 - 21:20

how do we change the bootlogo in an openpli dm500 maxvar image?
there is no /boot folder.

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #12 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 1 April 2011 - 10:24

With great difficulty, but not impossible. Team PLi craftily hide their OpenPLi boot logo in the mtd6 cramfs kernel partition. It is invoked at boot by these lines near the top of the /etc/init.d/rcS script:

mount -t cramfs /dev/mtdblock/6 /root 
/bin/showlogo /root/root/platform/kernel/bild 
umount /root

where 'bild' is the image filename for the logo. To use your own boot logo, located in, say, /var/etc - you need to edit that section of rcS to read something like:

/bin/showlogo /var/etc/bild 

But this is where your problem begins. The rcS script is in the mtd5 SquashFS root partition, which is Read-Only, which means you cannot edit it. You'll need to find out how to extract the mtd5 partition from your image, to make it 'writeable' on your PC, then recompile it as a root.img for flashing back to the dm500 box.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #13 mamujim

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 April 2011 - 13:46

With great difficulty, but not impossible. Team PLi craftily hide their OpenPLi boot logo in the mtd6 cramfs kernel partition. It is invoked at boot by these lines near the top of the /etc/init.d/rcS script:

umount /root

where 'bild' is the image filename for the logo. To use your own boot logo, located in, say, /var/etc - you need to edit that section of rcS to read something like:

But this is where your problem begins. The rcS script is in the mtd5 SquashFS root partition, which is Read-Only, which means you cannot edit it. You'll need to find out how to extract the mtd5 partition from your image, to make it 'writeable' on your PC, then recompile it as a root.img for flashing back to the dm500 box.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

thank you very much for your very informative post.
i managed to extract the mtd5 partition and edit the rcS file to point to /var/etc/bild
i then used the following command

./mksquashfs root mtd5.img -be

and ftp'd the file to /tmp folder and then issued the following command
cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/5 && cp mtd5.img /dev/mtd/5 && reboot

when the box reboots there is a blank screen, i have put the bild file in /var/etc

any further advice please?
what version of mksquashfs do i need to use?

many thanks

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #14 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 April 2011 - 18:35

Have a look at this set of Linux tools (best in a Ubuntu enviro, not Windoze)

Squazma: It's by LraiZer on ukcvs.org and it has proven to be my right hand man for editing SquashFS on DM500S in the past 9 months.

Meanwhile, DreamUP is your saviour, for a bad root compile that leaves you with a non-bootable dreambox... When editing a boot file like rcS - you must be VERY careful to ensure it's in Unix/Ansi format, and not DOS/Windows!!! The latter will have dozens of invisible EOL characters, that will render the script non-executable under Linux! Basic stuff, perhaps I should have forewarned you about that, sorry...

Have a read of LraiZer's 'how to' notes inside the rar before you go for the jugular!

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Attached Files

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #15 mamujim

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 April 2011 - 20:20

i didn't make it clear in my previous post but the image does boot up, it's just that i get a black screen when the bootlogo should be displayed.
all editing was done in ubuntu.
thanks for the upload, will have a read, and try again.

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #16 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 April 2011 - 09:48

OIC, well in that case, there must be something wrong with the new boot logo you're creating. Like I said in an earlier post above, I always use Tuxbox LogoViewer for this job, from our old dBox2 cable days.

Test with the Commando boot logo attached, 'as' /var/etc/bild

If that works OK, then you just need to focus on creating your custom logo correctly.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Attached Files

• Attached File  bild.rar   48.73KB   31 downloads

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #17 mamujim

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 April 2011 - 12:35

thanks again for your quick reply.
unfortunately i still get a black boot screen with the bild file you uploaded, when i reflash the mtd5.img and check the /etc/init.d/rcS file i can see that it does show

also, the squazma upload only includes the script and does not include the tools.

thanks again.

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #18 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 April 2011 - 12:59

Just tried that Commando test logo on my OpenPLi dm500 here, and it works perfectly for me, m8. Are you 100% sure that you are transferring it to /var/etc/ ??? Maybe you misunderstood me, and have put it in /var/etc/bild/bild ??

Squazma Tools: Oops, my bad, sorry. The Squazma I uploaded was just LraiZer's modded script for Maxvar compatibility. The full set is attached now, but replace the script in there with the later one from my first upload please.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

ps: BTW- you haven't started the new line in rcS with 1. have you?

Attached Files

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #19 mamujim

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 April 2011 - 15:37

arrrghhhh, still no luck, and i think i'm doing everything right.

i use the command
./squazma dm500.img

which creates a squashfs-root folder.
then i edit the rcS file from the above folder and save.

then i use the command
./mksquazma squashfs-root mtd-root.img -be

this creates the modified mtd-root.img file which i ftp into the /tmp folder of the dreambox.
then i telnet to the dreambox and use the following command

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/5 && cp mtd-root.img /dev/mtd/5 && reboot

after i've flashed the modified mtd-root.img and check the rcS file on the dreambox, it shows like below

#!/bin/sh

echo rcS starting

/bin/mount -n -t proc proc /proc
/bin/mount -n -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

/etc/init.d/init1

umount /root

etc....

so it has changed.

then i transfer your bild file into the /var/etc folder, but again a blank screen when the bootlogo should be shown, the image is still working o.k just no bootlogo.

this is all done in ubuntu

thanks again for all your help so far.

cheers
mamujim

Re: OpenPLi v1.0 Enigma1 boot logo change #20 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 April 2011 - 18:47

I spot your first error!! You havent't read LraiZer's destructions properly, have you?

You are using the correct command syntax for ripping the squashfs root out of your image. As you now know, the editable root structure is (within a second or two) saved to a new folder below the folder in Ubuntu where your Squazma Tools are located, called /squashfs-root

When you have finished your edits, you open Terminal and navigate to the SAME folder where Squazma Tools live. You then issue this simple command:

./squazma -c

...and in less than a minute, there is your new root.img compiled for you! You can of course keep multiple varieties of root images in the same folder, just rename them to something meaningful. All you have to remember is, that the CURRENT folder being worked on, for a new root.img - MUST be named squashfs-root in order for Squazma to process it.

Why does nobody ever read 'readmes' fully? LraiZer even prints a screenful of useage instructions on your Terminal console, LMAO!!

Cheers- AL Posted Image

ps: Your edit of rcS is wrong, too...

umount /root

I didn't tell you to do that. I said to replace those three lines with this single line:

No wonder you are not seeing the logo...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users