Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom082011

• 27 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2011 - 22:54

As I've testet some linux receivers in the last 3 month, and now I decided to try an ET9000 with OpenPLi.
Comparing the different solutions to EPG, Recording and Timeshift of all tested receivers, I would like to explain, how I'll see the perfect solution within plugins for PLi.
Sorry, but I am not a programmer, and my suggestions are only an idea (no reflection!) to the developers of plugins. Maybe and hopefully it could be an inspiration.
I've testet:
ASR1200 (Fortis)
Some new Topfields
TT-micro s855 HbbTv
Technisat DIGIT Isio S
and now my ET9000 (Xtrend)

EPG:

Starting point of my suggestions should be the layout of Coll Easy Guide (or some similar layout) :
Left side in row the channels and next row the actual progress and last row the current EPG information of the programs
Scroll forward to the next event will show me the next coming up program information
So far so good: But if I do so for a lot of clicks to next, may be starting on the marked channel ARD, I always will see the next programs of all channels. In fact of the different length (duration) of each program, I will get different times (mismatch) of starting times.
It would be perfect, if I could see after several clicks to "next or forward" always the same time to all channels.
Example: clicking on selected channel ARD several times next until I'll see a program starting at 18:00, I will get of course different starting times to the other channels in fact of different length of the programs in different channels.
In my opinion the solution to this could be, to do a skip forward with fixed minutes. So clicking next do not mean to show next program of the channel, but show all programs of the channels within a fixed time period (p.e. 15 minutes). May be short clicks will skip always 5 minutes forward and a long click will do a fast skipping in fast steps of 15 minutes.

The result of this will be, that if I do many clicks forward, I always will see the actual program for all channels to the defined skipped fix time. So I'll skip forward to a defined time of day. and always will see all programs running at exactly this selected time.
It' s like skipping to "prime time", but with an individual skip forward and of course backward (minutes, hours, days).

Timeshift recording:

In my opinion an solution for a perfect Timeshift could be very easy:

Always timeshift is started (manually or automatically=permanent) it will start a normal recording to an extra folder or partition.
The recording duration can be selected as an option to some fixed times like 90/120/180/240 minutes up to ???.
Starting a timeshift always mean to do also an automatically start of playback at the same time. So i'll be able to do immediately pause, play forward,backward, skip to beginning and to end (nearly live, but some seconds back, in fact of playback of course), but never to the real live (because this would mean to stop playback).
Chancing the channel (or pressing STOP) do automatically stop the current timeshift (or give you the option, select-able) to STOP, SAVE, or ADD from now, ADD from beginning, ADD actual program, ADD unlimited.
If I would now decide to do with this option (information window) to ADD unlimited the channel will be recorded further on and I will be able to change the channel.
Coming back to the channel (switch back), which is still recorded (with timeshift) will automatically start the playback from the last time (setting a marker at last stopping playback=switch to another channel).

Normal Recording:

The same function should be used by normal recording. If a recording of channel is running (may be in the background, programmed or manually started), always I will jump or switch to the recording channel (program), always should be used an automatically playback of the current recording. There only must be a routine in background proofing actual records (channel, program) and if there exists a similar recording to a live channel, program, it always starts the playback of this corresponding recording at the last stopped marker.

Sorry for my not very good English /images/smiley/smile.gif

At this point: Thanks to all developers doing a great job to get a nearly perfect DVB-PVR solution.

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #2 Tom082011

• 27 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2011 - 23:09

Sorry, I've forgotten a mayor point to the explained timeshift function:

Storing the records of timeshift in a different folder or partition (visible or hidden), the recording will be overwritten or deleted, if there will be a new timeshift.
In case of " SAVE, ADD ..." the recorded timeshift will be automatically copied to the regular recording folder /media/hdd/movie/ after finishing.

Thanks again.

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #3 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,039 posts

+339
Excellent

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:59

The latest version of Permanent TimeShift (1.0.0 RC25) with a few additions.
Tested on ET9000.
changes:
1) In the SLOW added to stop TimeShift current channel.
When you switch to another channel, the recording resumes.
2) Added a call to the settings in the plugins menu, you can now assign a button to call a Multi QuickButton.

When installing do not forget the rights of 755 to file eitsave.so

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #4 Tom082011

• 27 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:30

THX Dima73,
but how can I use the "resume" function. I copied your files via FTP upload to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/PermanentTimeshift/ and rights of eitsave.so is 755.

to 2) I couldn't find any additional setting for a QuickButton in the PermanentTimeshift settings, see attached picture.

PS: Multi Quickbutton (for et9000, Vers. 2.8.1, by mogli123) is also installed on my et9000. After installing the PermanentTimeshift plugin, there seems to be some problems to the MultiQuickButton.

Attached Files

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #5 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,039 posts

+339
Excellent

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:41

Multi QuickButton-your key-Add-Permanent Timeshift Settings

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #6 Tom082011

• 27 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:56

Adding the settings to a button is clear, but what advantage will I have?
Changing channels and resume seems not to work.
Also "Timeshift-Save Action" like Save and stop will not work.

(latest PLI-Beta Aug 13 2011)

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #7 bagin

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 January 2012 - 21:38

I have also 2 issues with Permanent timeshift. The main problem is that if I watch program on any channel and then the next one come I lose an access to the previous one. It looks like next event cancel previous. Even if have setup 5 events in settings when first event comes the timeshift is cancelled and I'm moved to live watching loosing an access to previous event.
The second issue is when i'm on timeshift and I change the channel. The option regarding to "what to do when channel changed" doesn't work at all, no matter what option I have set up for it. If it's "Ask user" I'm not asked, If it's "save" it's not saved.
I use the latest Pli on Et-9000. Is there any suggestion to fix it?

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #8 andyblac

• 465 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:32

I have also 2 issues with Permanent timeshift. The main problem is that if I watch program on any channel and then the next one come I lose an access to the previous one. It looks like next event cancel previous. Even if have setup 5 events in settings when first event comes the timeshift is cancelled and I'm moved to live watching loosing an access to previous event.

you should be-able to skip back trough all previous events that are in the buffer.

second issue is when i'm on timeshift and I change the channel. The option regarding to "what to do when channel changed" doesn't work at all, no matter what option I have set up for it. If it's "Ask user" I'm not asked, If it's "save" it's not saved.

you ONLY see the menu IF you have chosen to record the event and then try to change channels ;)

Edited by andyblac, 15 January 2012 - 01:32.

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #9 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:04

... if I watch program on any channel and then the next one come I lose an access to the previous one. It looks like next event cancel previous. Even if have setup 5 events in settings when first event comes the timeshift is cancelled and I'm moved to live watching loosing an access to previous event.

I also noticed that problem pop up within the last few weeks. Before that permanenttimeshift had been working fine, as expected. I went back to PTS 0.9.5 which for me just keeps a single timeshift file, not caring about program changes.

--
hemi

Re: Suggestion to EPG Record and Timeshift #10 bagin

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 January 2012 - 21:01

you should be-able to skip back trough all previous events that are in the buffer.

second issue is when i'm on timeshift and I change the channel. The option regarding to "what to do when channel changed" doesn't work at all, no matter what option I have set up for it. If it's "Ask user" I'm not asked, If it's "save" it's not saved.

you ONLY see the menu IF you have chosen to record the event and then try to change channels ;)

Unfortunately I can't skip back but the most annoying part is that sometimes when i watch the event from buffer and the new event come I'm automaticily shiftted to live program and I can't go back so I loose the rest of the program. That doesn't happen all the time but...

When you say that I have chosen the record do you min by pressing the record button when I watch from buffer? Maybe I have some issue with the image. I have got the receiver only recently so I don't know was it ok before. Does this plugin work fine on your image?
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users