Photo

playing movies off computer

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 jaytime

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 October 2011 - 20:58

I tried playing movies through the VLC way and it works. Is there a way just to share a folder on the computer and the DM500 will play off that without using VLC?

Thanks

Re: playing movies off computer #2 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 3 October 2011 - 21:24

Only if the movies are in mpeg1 or 2 codecs, no divix, xvid, h.264, etc...

--
hemi

Re: playing movies off computer #3 jaytime

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 October 2011 - 21:48

can you tell me how or point me to a guide to show me how to do it?

Thanks

Re: playing movies off computer #4 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 3 October 2011 - 22:15

Mount the directory containing the mpeg files in the same manner you'd mount the /hdd/movie directory to record TV. I haven't used a 500- in years, I don't recall offhand how to navigate the movieplayer to the mounted directory with the mpeg files, perhaps hitting the video button twice? Hopefully someone more familiar will explain how...

--
hemi

Re: playing movies off computer #5 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 4 October 2011 - 07:28

Try: create sharing directory there on PC. In this directory create "movie" and put files. On Dreambox create new net conection to your shared PC directory and then playback file from Files menu - with Red ("My Box") you can then select directory from your PC.

Edited by ims, 4 October 2011 - 08:15.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: playing movies off computer #6 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 October 2011 - 09:22

Hi guys,

Thank you for your great images - the only ones I use for my 2 boxes. I also need instructions on how to use my Home PC + VLC to stream divx movies to my DB500. This would make my box a proper media player and take full advantage of your images capabilities. I looked around the web for instructions but none is as accurate or up-to-date (using latest VLC player) as I would like to.

I have managed to mount a movies directory to /media/hdd and also setup the VLC server address (my PC IP) in the web-interface. Now I can see my movies directory from DB500 but the movies wont load - I think I need to take more steps to enable transcoding in real time of divx movies and these will then stream to the DB500.

Can you please show us step-by-step how to achieve this with VLC latest version? This will be of great satisfaction to all PLi users!

Thank you in advance,
George

Edited by F-bone, 6 October 2011 - 09:23.

Re: playing movies off computer #7 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 6 October 2011 - 12:06

1) on PC install last VLC player and there in file .host enable IP of your Boxes
2) box Webinterface: Stream-Setting -> you must set IP of your PC and disk:\directory on PC, where are movies ( directory can be leaved as root, movieplayer knows browse)
3) on PC run VLC with line( create link on area with target:
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http
4) run MoviePlayer, select file and wait cca 10s. That is all

Re: playing movies off computer #8 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 October 2011 - 20:26

1) on PC install last VLC player and there in file .host enable IP of your Boxes
2) box Webinterface: Stream-Setting -> you must set IP of your PC and disk:\directory on PC, where are movies ( directory can be leaved as root, movieplayer knows browse)
3) on PC run VLC with line( create link on area with target:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http
4) run MoviePlayer, select file and wait cca 10s. That is all

Thank you ims - this way it works!

The problem is now that I get slow frame rate although the LAN setup I got is WIRED 100Mbits/s.

Is the low frame rate the result of slow TRANSCODING at the PC side (shouldn't be... AMD Phenom 4core at 2.8GHz + 4GB Ram + SSD Raid0) or... the DB500 cannot handle the stream since I already got /var (for more app/plugin space) and /hdd (for recording) mounted on the network on the same PC?

Bonus question: Timeshift is not working - I have applied it to YELLOW button but it does nothing. The help button is recording without issues using the network mount for /hdd.

I must say that since I started using PLi it feels like I re-discovered the DB500, my other box DB800 being more powerful causes me less problems and it does not have to use streams as there is also a HTPC next to it.

Using latest 0610 image.

Re: playing movies off computer #9 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 October 2011 - 20:43

Apologies for new post - could not edit my previous one... I noticed that the CCCam version is 2.1.4 but when you go to Downloads/Softcams version 2.2.1 is ticked as installed. It is no problem I just mentioned it since the image states "beta"

In addition:

1) the OSD is not showing Plicons - I installed several packages but without success (I also have /usb mounted on LAN) - are Plicons for DB500?
2) the OSD starts with the mini-interface but if you press INFO button to see the FULL interface then everytime you zap or press OK you always get the FULL interface after this point - the mini one is gone although in OSD settings it it ticked.

Edited by F-bone, 7 October 2011 - 20:45.

Re: playing movies off computer #10 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 9 October 2011 - 21:51

The problem is now that I get slow frame rate although the LAN setup I got is WIRED 100Mbits/s.

Is the low frame rate the result of slow TRANSCODING at the PC side (shouldn't be... AMD Phenom 4core at 2.8GHz + 4GB Ram + SSD Raid0) or... the DB500 cannot handle the stream since I already got /var (for more app/plugin space) and /hdd (for recording) mounted on the network on the same PC?

Don't forget, that e1 boxes have very slow network, but what means "low frame rate" in your case ?

Bonus question: Timeshift is not working - I have applied it to YELLOW button but it does nothing. The help button is recording without issues using the network mount for /hdd.

did you enable Timeshift there in Menu-Setup-System settings-Recordings and Playing ... Timeshift ?

1) the OSD is not showing Plicons - I installed several packages but without success (I also have /usb mounted on LAN) - are Plicons for DB500?

cannot tell nothing about it - i did not use dm500 long time. I think, picons must be enabled there in OSD seting and are displayed in MultiEPG. I think, for picons there in infobar must be skin too.

Edited by ims, 9 October 2011 - 22:04.

Re: playing movies off computer #11 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 10 October 2011 - 00:00

I don't believe the 500- has ever been capable of timeshifting, to test start a recording then browse to the recording & try to play it on DB while it's recording. IIRC it doesn't work, perhaps due to the single demux device?

--
hemi

Re: playing movies off computer #12 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 October 2011 - 14:26

Regarding slow frame rate I mean that the movie starts ok and 10-20 seconds later it starts to get choppy. Like it is buffering again and again... I think the network is slow.. Im not sure..

The Plicons is no big issue for me - I just wanted to see everything working. I will try again and let you know.. Maybe someone who has used PLi and Plicons can tell us which skin is capable of doing this..

I will also check my Timeshift settings and report back thanks hemi.

Thank you for you support guys.

Re: playing movies off computer #13 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 10 October 2011 - 21:05

Windows on a pc is not efficient.
4 example, virusscanner uses pc capacity,. if you are interested, you can setup a Linux mediaserver. (Mediatomb).
Here a link. Then you can configure your Linux computer to use all power for mediaserver & transcoding.

Dreambox Dm8000 with all hardware addons donated to OpenPli. No interests anymore in policy of CanalDigitaal / M7 group and now-a-days channel encryption (like CI+ / HD+).

Good luck Enigma2 / OpenPli, it was fun with Sky Movies and so on, collected a nice collection of movies. Now back to basic boring lineair TV with KPN iTV (VDSL2 pair bonding 219 / 63 Mbps).

The VDSL pair bonding is excellent for... torrents to NAS in higher quality then HDTV (Like Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-Master-Audio soundquality ) :D

Re: playing movies off computer #14 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:02

Windows on a pc is not efficient.
4 example, virusscanner uses pc capacity,. if you are interested, you can setup a Linux mediaserver. (Mediatomb).
Here a link. Then you can configure your Linux computer to use all power for mediaserver & transcoding.

Linux is not totally strange to me - I already dual-boot this PC with Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7-x64 - the question is how will the DB500 then communicate with MediaTomb? Isn the DB500 image configured to talk to VLC?

Re: playing movies off computer #15 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:14

@F-bone: problem is not in your PC machine and OS, but there in DM500 as low power machine.

Re: playing movies off computer #16 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:36

@F-bone: problem is not in your PC machine and OS, but there in DM500 as low power machine.

I see.. thank you ims for this answer - this means I will not try this anymore.. maybe it is time to sell the DB500 and pay the difference for a second DB800..

Re: playing movies off computer #17 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:07

try change bitrate for movieplayer there in webif and you will see... Version of firmware ?

Re: playing movies off computer #18 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2011 - 19:10

try change bitrate for movieplayer there in webif and you will see... Version of firmware ?

I tried to use video 2048 and audio 128... still although the movies starts to play OK 10-20 secs later it get choppy..

I noticed that my LAN switch on port 3 which has this DB500 connected the ACTIVITY LED of the port is not always on.. it comes and goes (on and off) as if the LAN connection is not constant.. when I use the DB500 IP to get to Webif sometimes it is too slow and sometimes it says connection time out...

Using latest FW 10.10

Edited by F-bone, 11 October 2011 - 19:11.

Re: playing movies off computer #19 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 11 October 2011 - 19:45

May be, on your DM500 is problem with net. See to atachement.

Attached Files

Re: playing movies off computer #20 F-bone

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2011 - 20:33

May be, on your DM500 is problem with net. See to atachement.

great article.. I will check the PSU (I have a spare one) and then the LAN chip capacitors and report back!

ims you are unstoppable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users