Photo

mount network hdd as /var/

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stix

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:59

Hello, I have mounted network shared folder as /var/. But now I need to remove hdd with this folder and let dreambox works without lan for some time. Is there any way to move network /var/ back to dm? I think about reinstall but I don't want to lose my settings, bouquets and channel sorting etc...

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:02

boxtype?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #3 stix

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:04

dm500 clone
image: pli-Jade-dm500-20090627-6494.img

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:15

Hmm.. Long time ago... I think that in the menu where you can move your var, there is also an option to move it back?

Not sure what happens if it doesn't fit though... Maybe someone else can comment.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #5 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 24 October 2011 - 17:37

If you used the menu to move /var to a mount, you can set it back to the internal flash.
However, it could be that you have a lot of "var" stored on your harddisk, and that will never fit in the internal flash anymore.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #6 stix

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:13

thanks for your replies. yes, i use mount /var to pc hdd for bigger space, so if i unistall unused plugins and use menu to move /var back then all files will be copied to internal flash or i must to copy files manually?

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #7 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:48

It has been a long time ago, the last time I tried it. I assume it would copy all back to the internal flash automatically. If it fails, there's no problem, you still have a copy of your /var on the harddisk of course.

Try it, I would say. One never knows if the var on the harddisk is larger than the internal flash and it doesn't warn for that. By the way, if you want to copy the files manually, you need to stop Enigma first. This should do that from telnet:

killall start-enigma (although it could be start_enigma too. You will see the proper name if you type "ps" and check the list)
killall enigma

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #8 stix

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 October 2011 - 17:38

from menu it fails and after reboot work again from network. i try it manually, killall enigma command work but still cant copy all files to flash. i thinking about reinstall but what version? it is safe to try newest dm500 pli on clone or is better to stay on this very old image?

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #9 stix

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 October 2011 - 18:28

for others, i risk it and newest image (OpenPLi-beta-dm500-20111026-232.img) works great on clone :)

Re: mount network hdd as /var/ #10 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 26 October 2011 - 19:21

Okay, as I understand storing /var back on internal flash didn't work and you've flashed the latest image.
Remember that /var could be still be mapped to your harddisk when you tried to copy the settings. You should use /var_flash instead. But that would give another problem too, I just remember. The setting "move var to harddisk" is also stored in /var and restoring it all would give you a /var on harddisk again.

Well, if you understand what I mean ;) I think you just have to set all your settings manually in the new image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users