Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 8 December 2011 - 14:23

So I'll be moving to a house that has a dish with quattro LNB pointed at hotbird. The multiswitch they use supply all of hotbird/13e in each antenna/sat socket in every room.

So I could just hook up my dm500hd and be happy. But I've gotten used to Sky UK, DE, Dutch and all the european channels over the years so I need to plan a little bit on how to move ahead.

My plan was to either get a VU+DUO or a CT6600SST for my living room atleast, any opinions on these? Quality, softcam support (I only use oscam), openpli support.. etc. When I figure out which receiver to get I'll then put my own 120cm satellite with 3 standard LNB's (Astra 28.2e, 23.5e, 19.2e) and a diseqc-switch dish up on the roof if I'm allowed or else the balcony (south facing balcony.. yay).

Since it has preinstalled wiring for hotbird I'll need a twin receiver really (or lots of wires). I was thinking that the Hotbird 13e "pre-wired" stuff goes to one tuner of the receiver and the cable from my diseqc switch goes to the other tuner. The CT6600SST has DVB-T too, so it would be nice to be able to record/view DVB-T stuff, but I'm anxious about quality/software support on it. Only heard good things about VU+Duo, but I haven't really seen much about those Clarke-tech receivers.

Another solution would of course be to run the 3 wires from my 120cm dish into the house and hook them to a 4-way diseqc, and from the pre-wired sat socket to the diseqc switch too, and keep using my dm500hd...but this means a lot of cabling that I want to avoid.

Little bit at a loss as to how I will keep costs down and get good results. Note that I only want all the sats in one room/one tv. Not in every room.

Anyone got some good ideas, particularly on which receiver to get?

Thanks,
Spock

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #2 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 8 December 2011 - 15:29

Maybe a Vu+Duo with external usb DVB-T tuner is the best option here?

Any opinions on usb DVB-T tuners that works well with Vu+Duo?

Edited by spock, 8 December 2011 - 15:30.

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #3 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 9 December 2011 - 10:36

The Ultimo supports DVB-C/T tuners. It can be equipped with 3 tuners. However, I'd wait a while before buying one until there's an OpenPLi image for it. I also heard rumours of new clarke-tech boxes. I like the design of the ET boxes better, and from what I read here they have quite good DVB-T USB stick support, so a 9x00 with a stick might be a better option (there's no DVB-C or T where I live, so I can't tell from my own experience).
The vu+duo is "getting old", the newer models have more memory which is also beneficial for recording and such. The ET9x00 feels considerably faster than the VU (for example the boot time is much shorter).
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #4 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 9 December 2011 - 17:51

I'm googling around for the clarce-tech receivers and I keep finding something called Xtrend, are those the same company (does both works with openpli, thats almost a must)? Product names are the same, etc.
Xtrend ET9000
Clarce-tech ET9000
Clarce-tech ET9200
etc etc

This for example: http://www.sat-shop....oduct_info.html

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #5 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 9 December 2011 - 18:03

For what I gather it seems they are just rebranding themselves to Xtrend.. does the Xtrend ET9200 work with openpli? It's hardly even released yet.

Edited by spock, 9 December 2011 - 18:03.

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #6 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 9 December 2011 - 18:43

All models in the 9000 series using the same image so all 9x00 are supported by 1 image

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #7 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:19

Those new Xtrend ET9200 looks really sweet.. combined with a dvb-t usb tuner I think I would have a nice setup!

Anyone knows the deal with Clarke-Tech and Xtrend btw? Is it the same company? Sister companies? Most sites refers only to ET9200, with either clarke-tech or xtrend as the manufacturer? Just afraid of all that chinese crap being sold, got fooled on a dm500s some years ago, what a waste of cash that was..

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:48

It's exactly the same box. It's a matter of who has the rights to use the name 'Clark-Tech" in which country...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #9 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:59

It's exactly the same box. It's a matter of who has the rights to use the name 'Clark-Tech" in which country...

No thanks button on this forum, but many thanks for clarifying that! :)

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:06

Yes, there is! Use the green 'Up' button on the right to give a "thumbs up" (or the red one to show your disapproval).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #11 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:28

Yes, there is! Use the green 'Up' button on the right to give a "thumbs up" (or the red one to show your disapproval).

Nice, that's really a better system than having posts with 200 thanks under them, just garbling things up. Anyway now you are +28 good, so maybe santa will bring you an ET9200 too?! B)

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #12 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 10 December 2011 - 17:20

your nickname is also Santa?

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #13 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 10 December 2011 - 17:29

your nickname is also Santa?

Perhaps! :ph34r:

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #14 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:51

Trying to find a decent usb dvb-t/t2 tuner for the ET9200 now.. googling around for a while I landed on this one, looks really neat. Anyone knows if it works with the ET9200?

http://www.pctvsyste...GB/Default.aspx

If not, anyone got some good recommendations? dvb-t2 isnt a must, but would be nice for future profing!

Edited by spock, 11 December 2011 - 10:52.

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #15 Gennar1

• 296 posts

+31
Good

Posted 17 December 2011 - 19:17

Trying to find a decent usb dvb-t/t2 tuner for the ET9200 now.. googling around for a while I landed on this one, looks really neat. Anyone knows if it works with the ET9200?

Yes, it works perfectly:

http://openpli.org/f...g-dvb-t-dvb-t2/

Re: Moving to "high-tech" house, need new receiver, guidance #16 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2011 - 21:01

Yes, it works perfectly:

http://openpli.org/f...g-dvb-t-dvb-t2/

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users