Speed up boot process from deep stand by

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Bri

• 8 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2011 - 14:05

Some weeks ago I bought a clarke tech ET9100. The boot process from deep stand by needs a lot of time. (about one minute) My old TechniSat Digicorder S2 needed only 5s. Therefore my plan is to speed up the boot process. I think the best solution would be a "suspend-to-disk". Has anyone tried this? I read in an other forum that it will only work on x86 systems not on MIPS based systems.
A more simple solution might be to install the OpenPLi software on the internal hard disk. Flash is quite slow, the hard disk should be much faster. I guess the clarke tech bootloader can start linux from internal flash only. So a second boot loader would be necessary. The clarke tech boot loader starts the second boot loader from flash and the second boot loader starts OpenPLi from hard disk. Or maybe the clarke tech bootloader loads only the kernel and some necessary files from flash and all other is read from hard disk later.
What do you think about this? Will it speed up the boot process?

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,957 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 14:12

Suspend to ram or disk is something the mips arch probably can do, but lacks support for in the kernel, and in that case you won't get far (i.e. not at all).

My dm8000 takes three minutes to boot, I think your stb is probably already much faster.

How about simply keeping it in "standby" instead of powering it off?

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #3 Bri

• 8 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2011 - 15:14

The ET9100 has a power consumption of about 20W in standby mode. Nearly no difference to normal power on mode. Therefore I would like to use the deep standby mode as much as possible.

First I will try to compile a small version of OpenPLi without the software packages I do not need. (samba, vnc, ...) I think this will speed up the boot process a little bit.
Then I will try to find a way to install OpenPLi on the hard disk.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #4 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 15:20

First I will try to compile a small version of OpenPLi without the software packages I do not need. (samba, vnc, ...) I think this will speed up the boot process a little bit.

A double "no" is the answer.
No, it will not speed up the boot (or at least - not that you'll notice, it might shave off half a second if you remove everything that starts at boot).
No, you don't need to create your own image. Just remove packages you don't want with "opkg remove ...".

Then I will try to find a way to install OpenPLi on the hard disk.

That will only increase the boot time.

I suggest that you attach a serial cable and take a look at the boot messages to see what's going on.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #5 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,957 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 15:31

What is the actual time you need to perform a full boot?

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #6 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,012 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 16:07

This is just ridiculous.
One minute, is it long?
Where were you before, when the loading takes 2-3 minutes ...

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #7 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 16:38

This is an disadvantage of a Linux box... For a linux box 1 minute is extreme short!!!

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #8 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 16:40

Actually, it's more like 20 seconds for Linux and 40 seconds for Enigma2.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 21:52

And don't forget Enigma2 needs quite a bit of time loading large epg files, and all the defined bouquets... Without them it starts a lot quicker.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #10 Bri

• 8 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2011 - 22:28

The ET9100 needs 67s until I see a picture. Try to explain this your wife if you spent 350€ for a new cool receiver and your old receiver needed only 5s. ;-)

I thought the boot process will need less time if the image is smaller because I thought the whole image ist copied to RAM first and the most time is needed to copy the data. But then I read about JFFS2/UBIFS. (This is the first time I work with embedded linux. Before I used FreeRTOS for my embedded projects.) During my last project I wrote a driver for a NAND flash in combination with a FAT32 file system. For large data transfers the NAND flash was quite fast, but for random access with small pieces of data it was very very slow because a whole page must be read always. I know JFFS2/UBIFS uses caching. However I guess the boot process will be much faster if the root fs is ext2 and copied to RAM before linux starts. An extra partition could be used to store enigma2 settings in the NAND flash. I will try it after christmas. I think I will need some days to understand the boot process to do the necessary modifications.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #11 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 22:31

This is the disadvantage from a linux box... if it was a WIndows Box then it even takes longer.... ;).

If you do not want this then go back to a "normal" box -or- use the normal standby option.

Please note in fact you are booting a "small-PC"....

I do not think that a hibernate option will go faster...

Edited by littlesat, 22 December 2011 - 22:32.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #12 Hump

• 88 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2011 - 22:47

My et9x00 needs exactly 56 seconds from deep standby until it shows a live picture. This is extremly fast, compared to other Linux boxes. If you manage to speed it up to 20sec, let me know! :D

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #13 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2011 - 23:12

In the past since UBIFS it was already speeded up with approx 30 % / 2 minutes.... ;)

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #14 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:18

The ET9100 needs 67s until I see a picture. Try to explain this your wife if you spent 350€ for a new cool receiver and your old receiver needed only 5s. ;-)

Be glad you didn't buy the dm8000, then you'd have spent 900€ to boot in over 2 minutes.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #15 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:54

My dm7025 has a ext3 rootfs on a CF card, and boots in just over a minute. The 7025 is way slower than the other boxes (single-core 250MHz, the HD boxes all have 400MHz dual-threading cores). If you want to boot from a RAM, it would make more sense to use cramfs or so as filesystem. I don't think you'll see any improvement at all on the et9x00, because ubifs is actually already doing what you propose - copying everything to RAM.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #16 daddelfalk

• 489 posts

+17
Neutral

Posted 23 December 2011 - 14:40

Hi,

yes, i don't have any noticable and further optimizations for the etxxxx STBs, so i must totally agress with Milo's statement and Soc has not Dual-Threaded, but Dual-Core ;)

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #17 Bri

• 8 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 24 December 2011 - 00:42

After reading some tutorials I decided to install the root fs on internal hard disk to speed up the boot process. It needs only minor changes in the kernel configuration. (kernel command line parameters: bmem=216M root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext2 rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 fbcon=font:8x16) The kernel is still loaded from flash but all other data is read from the hard disk. I hope my new hard disk will arrive soon. I have already build the image but I can not test it at the moment.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #18 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,957 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:03

I've run my dm7000's from NFS for years, but flash was still quicker (although also very slow...)

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #19 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:39

After reading some tutorials I decided to install the root fs on internal hard disk to speed up the boot process. It needs only minor changes in the kernel configuration. (kernel command line parameters: bmem=216M root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext2 rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 fbcon=font:8x16) The kernel is still loaded from flash but all other data is read from the hard disk. I hope my new hard disk will arrive soon. I have already build the image but I can not test it at the moment.

that is going to save you ~2s ubi attach time ;)

The real timeconsuming part of booting is when e2 starts.

Re: Speed up boot process from deep stand by #20 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:46

I guess Bri just won't believe us until he finds out for himself. Ah well, he'll learn two things then...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users