satellites.xml is loosing transponders

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 4 March 2012 - 15:30

Presently our satellites.xml is generated from lyngsat data, I understand. However, since some time, lyngsat is beginning to loose channel details on quite a few transponders. This shows as empty transponders on the lyngsat site. As a result, our satellites.xml does not contain those transponders anymore and a network scan will therefore skip these.

On the last but one version of satellites.xml I lost 18 transponders. On the most recent, I lost 38. In fact, I found that the kingofsat.net network seems to have more data these days. Perhaps we should source our satellites.xml from their site?

Alternatively, could we change the code of the lyngsat grabber to include also empty transponders?

"Het enige wat we leren van de geschiedenis is dat we niets leren van geschiedenis.", Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, 1831

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 4 March 2012 - 15:31

Aren't we perhaps talking about 23.5 where KabelDeutschland left a LOT of transponders?

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #3 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 4 March 2012 - 15:38

No, a lot of satellites are affected. Even very well-known transponders. E.g. look at 11411 on hotbird. It contains many polish channels in HD (encrypted)

"Het enige wat we leren van de geschiedenis is dat we niets leren van geschiedenis.", Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, 1831

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #4 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,251 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 4 March 2012 - 23:30

No, a lot of satellites are affected. Even very well-known transponders. E.g. look at 11411 on hotbird. It contains many polish channels in HD (encrypted)

That transponder is listed on Lyngsat.

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #5 razorback

• 65 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2012 - 13:40

you may want to get your transponder-lists from here:

http://satellites-xml.eu/

TT
ET-9100, VU+Duo, T90 28,2E-23,5E-19,2E-16,0E-13,0E-9,0E-4,8E-0,8W Quad, 4xDiseqC EMP P168W.V2

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #6 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 5 March 2012 - 14:42

Thanks, that is a good alternative. It seems they have more transponders but the extra one's could also just be feeds. Kingofsat is manually maintained where feeds are mostly marked. But I guess for automatic processing this is perhaps a good choice. The problem with kingofsat seems to be that it is European focussed which makes it less suitable for OpenPLi which does not restrict regions.

Edited by rhinoceros, 5 March 2012 - 14:44.

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #7 razorback

• 65 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2012 - 15:20

it is the ONLY alternative.

you get pretty accurate transponder-listings but of course it does not free you from checking on a regular basis if things have changed.
(Forum-News, KingsOfSat, LyngSat etc.)

As for me - I only download new transponder-lists when flashing a new image.
for the rest of the time I try to keep up to date in various forums in terms of "what is new" and add what ever I am interested in by manual search.

R
ET-9100, VU+Duo, T90 28,2E-23,5E-19,2E-16,0E-13,0E-9,0E-4,8E-0,8W Quad, 4xDiseqC EMP P168W.V2

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #8 zackmuc

• 195 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 March 2012 - 15:22

In which forums do you find updates?

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #9 razorback

• 65 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2012 - 16:32

DEB

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #10 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,251 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2012 - 21:26

TBH: those transponder lists are a pain. They contain feeds that might have existed once in 5 years and that means you are scanning lots of frequencies that don't contain any transmissions. Much nicer would be a satellites.xml that only contains DTH and use blind search to find feeds. The whole thing is pointless otherwise as most feeds are short lived and by the time the Lyngsat database is updated with the feed frequency the feed no longer exists.

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #11 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2012 - 10:27

I agree. Lyngsat and satellites.xml should not list feeds, because they nearly never broadcast (and not seldomly even they do, they're at other freqs etc). The result is that scanning takes ages because the tuner tries to get a lock on these freqs for a long time.

Satellites.xml should only contain "regular" entries, feed hunters should use blind scanning instead, anyway. There is no use for feeds frequency for normal users.

EDIT: I see that is nearly exactly what you already wrote. So +1 then.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 6 March 2012 - 10:28.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #12 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 6 March 2012 - 13:42

Satellites.xml should only contain "regular" entries, feed hunters should use blind scanning instead, anyway. There is no use for feeds frequency for normal users.

I fully agree with the addition that it should in as much as possible contain ALL regular entries (and only those). Question is what is the best way to get there ...

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #13 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2012 - 13:46

We have a script that fetches the transponders from lyngsat to be included into the image. I can propose the script to be changed, but I wonder if it's that simple...

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #14 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,251 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 7 March 2012 - 00:35

We have a script that fetches the transponders from lyngsat to be included into the image. I can propose the script to be changed, but I wonder if it's that simple...

I made a script like that recently, i.e. that doesn't collect the feeds. It just skips any line that say feeds. It's that simple and works pretty good. Example satellites.xml attached.

Attached Files

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #15 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 10 April 2012 - 23:32

Any progress on this issue? Indeed www.lyngsat.com misses some transponders, for example 26E 11334V 27500 3/4 is not in lyngsat database, but it is in flysat and kingofsat.
It seems that for european satellites, flysat is better than lyngsat.

Removing obsolete feeds from OpenPLI's satellites.xml is also a very good idea.

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #16 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:14

I always do a an automatic transponder scan followed by a blindscan, so you don't miss anything. And indeed, that can take one hour for all those feeds that aren't there anymore...

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #17 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,251 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 7 June 2012 - 09:17

Any progress on this issue? [...] Removing obsolete feeds from OpenPLI's satellites.xml is also a very good idea.

And indeed, that can take one hour for all those feeds that aren't there anymore...

I have now made a website where you can download a customisable satellites.xml without the feed transponders. Just make sure that only active transponders is checked in the extra options at the bottom.

satellites.xml without feed transponders

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #18 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 7 June 2012 - 09:42

Any progress on this issue? [...] Removing obsolete feeds from OpenPLI's satellites.xml is also a very good idea.

And indeed, that can take one hour for all those feeds that aren't there anymore...

I have now made a website where you can download a customisable satellites.xml without the feed transponders. Just make sure that only active transponders is checked in the extra options at the bottom.

satellites.xml without feed transponders

nice

is it a clone of http://satellites-xml.eu ? (maybe nulled version)

if the answer is yes , it's good to share the code :)

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #19 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 7 June 2012 - 09:53

Nope, it's not a clone; as you can see Huevos's site has much more functionality.

Re: satellites.xml is loosing transponders #20 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,251 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 7 June 2012 - 09:55

is it a clone of http://satellites-xml.eu ? (maybe nulled version)

Not at all. The only thing it has in common with the other site is the presentation uses 4 tabs, but tabs is just a common web feature where big forms are concerned. The code is written 100% by me, and not copied from anywhere as anyone viewing the source html, css, and javascript will see. The quick select has a lot more control than the other site, C-band and Ku-band are selectable individually and a user can just enter their co-ordinates and download a horizon to horizon satellites.xml for their location.

Edited by Huevos, 7 June 2012 - 09:58.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users