Save only most recent recording with repeating timer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 feelfree

• 43 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 17 March 2012 - 20:35

Is there any function or plugin to realize a repeating timer which saves only the most recent recording?
I'd like to record the daily news, but obviously I'm not interested in news that are older than one day...
It's a little bit annoying to manually delete all these old recordings...

Re: Save only most recent recording with repeating timer #2 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:24

I'm not aware of any plugin...

You could make a directory on your hard drive (or whatever recording location) for only you daily recordings thet you want automagically removed. Point the timer for such programs there as it's recording location. Then you could set up a simple cron job to empty the directory daily. Say you record the 10pm news, a cron job like:

55 21 * * * rm /path/to/directory/*

should delete all the previous days files 5 min before the current recording starts. That'd probably be the simplest bet, more complicated variations of that "theme" could also be configured, like deleting specific files over 24 hours old, etc...

--
hemi

Re: Save only most recent recording with repeating timer #3 jeanclaude

• 866 posts

+28
Good

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:51

even easier still : use the trash bin as destination folder. the recordings will be automatically cleaned whenever the disk cleanup treshold is reached.
DreamBox 7000S+8000HD (eindelijk), openPLi, CCcam, 85 cm schotel, draaibare opstelling en VEEL te weinig slaap.

Re: Save only most recent recording with repeating timer #4 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 17 March 2012 - 23:37

Yes that does sound easier. I knew there had to be a use for that trashcan... ;)

--
hemi

Re: Save only most recent recording with repeating timer #5 feelfree

• 43 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:54

Thanks for your suggestions - had the idea with the cronjob myself before, but thought that a more user-friendly GUI version might exist, as a 10?-year old Panasonic DVD-recorder from the good-old analogue-days had such a timer-option... ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users