pppd ppp gprs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:21

Hi experts,

First of all, great initiative getting OpenPli together, impressive work!

I have a small projekt of mine where I want to hook a GPRS modem to my DM600PVR via the serial port. I installed the DM600PVR OpenPli image the other day and found what I needed, after installing the "kernel-module-ppp*" packages with dependencies I got pppd to run.

However, I am not able to connect to the GPRS device through pppd. It behaves as if the modem cannot be initialized in some way. My ppp script is configured to communicate with /dev/tts/0, but I found there are 2 additional ports on the DM600.

ppp script - http://mcfrisk.kapsi...rs-connect-chat (I change the "internet" part)
pppd config - http://mcfrisk.kapsi.fi/gprs (changed the Connect script, serial port and user part)

Questions:
- Which of the serial ports is the "external" RS-232 port on the DM600?
- Is there a minicom install package available for the DM600(I found none with ipkg)? This would make it easier to check the communication with the modem. Are there any alternative applications?
- Could it be that I need to initialized the modem via the ppp script? If yes, what command should I use?

Thanks in advance for any tip/help with gettings this running
/Keda

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #2 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 31 March 2012 - 00:52

Hmm, seems like minicom or any other serial terminal will help me out alot here. Any tip of advice to get one installed? "ipkg install minicom" does not work(obviously)

Thanks,
K

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #3 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 31 March 2012 - 21:24

Anyway to get phyton installed om the DM600 image? I found a neat terminal called "miniterm" that runs as a phyton script.

"ipkg list | grep phy" shows nothing so I guess the answer is no?

/K

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #4 Bag58

• 437 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 1 April 2012 - 08:36

Try python instead of phyton

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #5 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 April 2012 - 09:00

:) My bad, I meant python. Same thing though, no packages available. Is there a python "lib" package available for the DM600?

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #6 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:08

Hello there again, I think I may have an idea on what is going on. It appears the rs232 port is not responding/sending signals at all? Here is what I have done:

1) Hooked the GPRS modem to my Ubuntu machine. The pppd chat script ran just fine
2) Opened terminal A and typed "cat /dev/ttyS0". Opened terminal B and typed "echo "AT" > /dev/ttyS0
3) The result was "AT ..... OK" in terminal A

4) Hooked the GPRS modem to my DM600PVR device with the latest BETA image for DM600
5) Modified the serial port info in the pppd script(step 1) to "/dev/tts/0". Ran the chat script, it does not complete because there is no response on the AT init
6) Opened terminal A(telnet) and typed "cat /dev/tts/0". Opened terminal B(telnet) and typed "echo "AT" > /dev/tts/0
7) The result was, nothing, no response in teminal A. No blinking on the RX led on the modem. I do however see the TX value increase under /proc/tty/driver/serial

This got me to think there is something wrong with configuration of the serial interface(flashing the device works fine via serial). I found the below thread:
http://openpli.org/f...rk/page__st__20

The behavior is exactly the same for me, no response even after running stty config according to above link.

This is my serial config:
serinfo:1.0 driver revision:
0: uart:16550A mmio:0x00000000 irq:20 tx:12 rx:0
1: uart:16550A mmio:0x00000000 irq:21 tx:0 rx:0
2: uart:16550A mmio:0x00000000 irq:22 tx:0 rx:0 CTS

Am I missing something obvious here? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Keda82

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #7 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 April 2012 - 20:27

Alright, did some more research.

Connected a nullmodem kabel to the dreambox and my ubuntu machine. Did "echo "AT" > /dev/tts/0" on the dreambox and "cat /dev/ttyS0" on the ubuntu machine. Result was that it worked just fine. Got an echo.

This leads me to think I need to reconfigure the serialport to communicate properly with my GPRS modem. I have tried copying the stty settings that gets configured when running minicom successfully towards the GPRS modem, but it does not change the behavior. Could it be that communication occurs on PINs that are not available in the modem cabel I use(but only on the dreambox)?

What should be the correct serialport config to make sure communication is done properly?

Thanks for any advice,
Keda82

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #8 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 April 2012 - 18:05

Found ppc binary for minicom!

Tried the regular settings, no hardware flow, 8N1, 9600/57600/115200 etc. Basically all settings that worked on the Ubuntu machinetogether with the GPRS device.... nothing works on the dreambox.

Conclusion: Something with the image/kernel is preventing communication from working properly with the modem. Again, all works fine when running from Ubuntu/Linux Mint.

How to troubleshoot this further? How to debug?

Regards,
Keda82

Re: Connect to GPRS device with pppd #9 keda82

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 20 April 2012 - 18:37

Do I need to see my self defeated? :) Is there no one out there that has this working?

/Keda82

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users