Photo

Stable OpenPLi file

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 asppie

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:10

How could I see if the OpenPLi file is a stable one?
There is new OpenPLi files posted every day......
Where can I see what is done with the new version of the file?
If there is so many updated files there must be some important things done with them or????
Is it worth to upgrade to the newest?..... Today I have 2.1

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #2 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,306 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:14

An image is never stable... ;)

So we're working now with nightly builds and they are stable and always have the latest features.

In case really something is going wrong and we receive a feedback on a forum we can set a skull status to an image.... During an upgrade you are notified then.....

We always have the images availbale from a few days before. So via the autobackup option you easily can go back to a previous image in case something goes wrong.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,681 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:17

There is no more 'stable' version.

This dates back to the time when we were not "open", and had releases once or twice a year. Once we started with our nightly builds, we noticed that most people wanted to update regularly, and those that had installed a 'stable' version (that should be frozen) still wanted to update parts of it. For us, that is completely unmanageble.

So we decided to only generate nightly builds. There are a lot of people updating daily, so if you check the forum and the image status on the homepage (they will change colour and are marked with a skull-and-bones image when there is an issue with the current nightly build) before you decide to run an update.

The changes in the image are reported on repository commit level, either via our mailing lists (http://sourceforge.n...group_id=267704) or via Twitter (@openpli).

In general there are changes every day. Some are functional, some are internal, some are bugfixes. You only can judge if it is worth it to run an update.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #4 Happysat

• 697 posts

+43
Good

Posted 18 April 2012 - 16:38

There was no fresh build made last night btw..??

Octagon SF8008 / TBS5530  DVB-S2/T2 T-85/1.50Mtr/3x90cm (53e 52e 51,5e 28e 25,9e 23e 19e 13e 9e 4e 1w 5w 14w)

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,681 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2012 - 16:51

I understand there were issues in our automated build process, but I haven't seen details.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #6 asppie

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 April 2012 - 18:00

I updated to the latest PLi today, I can´t see any difference.

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #7 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 18 April 2012 - 18:07

A lot of changes are internal (stability, support for tuners, bug solving, etc) which you don't see of course.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #8 junad

• 269 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:21

what is the best way (steps) to update PLi image and when?

Re: Stable OpenPLi file #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,681 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:46

I suggest only every now and then, when a new feature is introduced that you want, or when a bug you have is fixed.

There is no real answer to this, some update every day, some not for months. A lot of people use the box to watch TV, which works, so they don't see the need to update.

When you do, I suggest in the afternoon/evening (GMT), and check here first for any reported issues with last nights build.

To update, the best option is to choose the "unattended update" mode, it shuts down Enigma before running the update, which can prevent memory and stability issues with some updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users