openvpn - how to install?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Re: openvpn - how to install? #21 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 19 March 2017 - 18:33

well, I think openvpn 2.4 is not on their ToDo list, so any comment or ask about it, it is ignored. but not ignored, sorry,I think they said that the 2.3.xx works perfect and they wont update to 2.4 by the moment, so I have yet my answer on bottom posts. it is my insistence what they ignore, this is comprehensible. anyway, enigma2 box can give us a full featured vpn connexion, so as you said, it is better manage vpn on a full linux distro as LEDE/Openwrt on router...or other distro/hardware, not a enigma2 box, up to the kernel could manage iptables/masquerade, as some forum member mentioned some days ago.
thanks.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #22 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 19 March 2017 - 18:42

I mean enigma2 box 'cannot' give us full featured vpn connexion.
greetings

Re: openvpn - how to install? #23 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,587 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 20:57

Updating is ALWAYS on our todo list.

But top ot the list is getting master-next stable, and OpenPLi 5 out. And that will never happen if we constantly keep making changes.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #24 boki15

• 145 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 19 March 2017 - 23:13

well, I think openvpn 2.4 is not on their ToDo list, so any comment or ask about it, it is ignored. but not ignored, sorry,I think they said that the 2.3.xx works perfect and they wont update to 2.4 by the moment, so I have yet my answer on bottom posts. it is my insistence what they ignore, this is comprehensible. anyway, enigma2 box can give us a full featured vpn connexion, so as you said, it is better manage vpn on a full linux distro as LEDE/Openwrt on router...or other distro/hardware, not a enigma2 box, up to the kernel could manage iptables/masquerade, as some forum member mentioned some days ago.
thanks.

You are not quite right with your assumptions, let me just explain me few things:

• It requieres other packages to be updated where this can not be predicted
  • they might be more busy with other, more important things regarding different things
  • there is no team who cared more about networking and streaming, I know what I am talking about
  • openvpn 2.4.0 will not really boost your vpn as long as you dont use all new feautures like gcm
  • As mentioned by WanWizzard, they will use packages for more then openvpn only and it will be updated
  • Which vpn provider can do you know who offers you openvpn with gcm?
  • If you ask me, use openconnect, with aes256gcm+sha512 you will get your full speed, even router 1Ghz will reach almost full speed
    why to bother with much slower openvpn now?

If team builds in tor and i2p, then you also do not need vpn at all. Where at the end, do you want you box to be your all in one server?

If so, you will be dissapointed, especially as it was mentioned so many times, that it is not desinged as desktop and leaks on important things.

For such purpose, use either a router where all devices are secured or some older pc. Remember, multicore will not bring you anything

on openvpn, which means, dual cores of your receiver will perform worse then any cheap router, ie. archer c7.

However, I you dislike having only 30-50% of your ISP's speed, then you will go for other secure protocols, like openconnect/anyconnect.

If we also speak about networking, socks5 would be another solution on enigma but again, what for? Either pc with something like pfsense

or just good router.

If you want to reach high speeds with openvpn, use intel cpu's, single cores if you have any old, they'll perform very well.

I mean enigma2 box 'cannot' give us full featured vpn connexion.

This is simply not truth. Sure it can, as any linux does. You can use anything if you know how to do it. I do support important updates like the one to 2.4.0 and releasing testbranch so those who need it can test it.

I will not make any promotion here, if you need good anon vpn, providing you 100% speed, pm me. The same goes for your HW. I am unsure which CPU your box has, but 1Ghz will not get more then 30mb on very good vpn, meaning

that's what you get with an archer c7. This is simply impossible to achive with any box. The only reason for VPN usage is CS as well as IPTV and avoiding geoblocking. Like I said, I can provide you vpn, with almost any country where all these

things work. Why do I mention it? Because you should know about solutions which people use to understand why some bunch of people from the team should care later or now. They even replied now, they care and it will be released with next version.

After I raised this topic too, I am pretty sure team will understand that update to 2.4.0 is to be done. However, they are right, it is not in most stable version, there are some TLS issues and so on, but yeah, normal people dont look into logs when everything seems to work, but devs then need to read about unhappy customers where ie. new version of libssl broke something that worked since first pli version on some old E1 dreambox.

I did always restream, but consider using iptv, it is much cheaper. There was a time, where most members who did work on anything here, they had all their real subscriptions. I wasnt here for long, but getting a cline with all channels for less than $ 4 sounds

like it is very spreaded and times might have changed :), so, I am sorry if some things are obsolete here, but I think I am right.

@WanWizzard

Tor is probably very good to build in, if configured properly, you can get almost 100% of your speed. This would solve troubles of many who pay for VPN because of C-lines.

My suggestion: I dont know if openconnect is available, if not, consider adding openconnect package in next version.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #25 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,587 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 23:27

For us it is very simple: there is a LOT more to do than we have people, hands and spare time.

So we have to be selective, and that usually means a developer picks the jobs he or she has a personal interest in. Only seldom are these interest in the area of illegal use like card sharing.

OpenVPN, especially the client-side, is of importance, for example in case of transcoded streams between boxes over the Internet. It's how I watch TV when I'm on the read. ;) Please create a ticket at https://github.com/o.../enigma2/issues (temporary issue tracker) for the upgrade so it stays on the radar.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #26 boki15

• 145 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 20 March 2017 - 15:43

Only seldom are these interest in the area of illegal use like card sharing

Well, if we start to talk about ideology and moral, we could stop already now. VPN is about privacy where many do confuse it with security.

What for do people require privacy? Outside of EU and US everybody uses vpn's/tor/i2p/... . Not because they do something illegal, but because they care about their privacy. Somehow people in EU and US assume always that you do something illegaly if you care about privacy. As last, dont be in illusion to be secure in commiting crime if you care about privacy or use tor/i2p/... . Based on that, I fully disagree with your argumentation and say you do not think, not at all looking at facts, you are just influenced by the message sent over mainstream media. So far about ideology.

I already did point out, I can see that cline market became that big in last years, that I can assume many people do use openpli to watch their tv. This is fact and not me saying anything if it is good or not, it is a fact.

It means it is a fact that you have probably many people who use openpli with clines. IPTV does not mean illegal TV, my provider offers me legally IPTV. But here, I am not speaking about myself or IPTV.

Now, I see that you either missunderstood me or you simply make public statement. I was not asking for public statement, I just shared some thoughs with you guys.

OpenVPN is designed to be secure and that is the main reason it was slow. Providing more than 100% on speed means for me pure money, as it does define the speed of my network.

Based on that, it is a fact that it is better to use VPN on other device, not on box itself but if somebody wants, why not pushing whole WAN over opevpn and box? With new features box will be able to deliver high speed, not sure about during watching HD/UHD/.. which cosume cpu, but it would be very fast. Let's just take example, most people do get 5-15Mb/s over their vpns (I guess this is some average) where doubling it means for those who have 5 that they can stream without breaks as well as for those having 15 nice stable HD streaming.

For us it is very simple: there is a LOT more to do than we have people, hands and spare time.

Exactly this could be the reason my friend that I wrote it at all here. I see that you either dont have enough hands or time if you missed 2.4.0 which you do even agree, it is important.

Please create a ticket at https://github.com/o.../enigma2/issues (temporary issue tracker) for the upgrade so it stays on the radar.

Hmmm :)??? Was it directed to me or to somebody else :)? If to me, then my friend, you dont take me seriously, you did not read what I wrote. I do not use SAT/Cable TV nor I use openpli. All my friends and everybody who has a receiver, they have openpli and my vpn products where they can't connect with openvpn's new features.

So, after I read your suggestion, I simply got them IoT devices and they have now 120% of the speed which their ISP offers them, yes, you do read it well 120%. So far about VPN and usage on openpli, there are always better possibilities and some people are not experts and for them nice fast openvpn on their box would produce a lot of happiness towards openpli, but that seems to be a past, maybe past of pli, as I remember different answer then talking and producing spam. Really, your suggestion is to spam you, I just can't :) believe that you seroiusly suggest anybody to create a joke? But yeah, you seem to already to have replied about importance and team awareness about updating openvpn:

OpenVPN, especially the client-side, is of importance

I mean, you say it and in next sentence you suggest somebody to create a ticket because you will forget it :)? Well, this is really nice joke, however, I expected if discussion about that, then serious and technical. Yes, times seem to have changed, there is no constuctive discussion, so I'll leave it.

Openpli is still best image with best team, whish you to continue beeing best and you still have my support. See you boys and girls next time....

Re: openvpn - how to install? #27 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,587 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 20 March 2017 - 16:58

Is it so difficult to read? Yes, it is important, and no, we don't have time for it now, as there are more important issues at the moment.

You may find that a joke, in which case I would like to ask you to contribute and make our workload lighter. If not, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until it bubbles up to the top of the pile.

The remark about creating the issue was directed to @daveracer.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #28 boki15

• 145 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2017 - 19:23

Is it so difficult to read? Yes, it is important, and no, we don't have time for it now, as there are more important issues at the moment.

You may find that a joke, in which case I would like to ask you to contribute and make our workload lighter. If not, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until it bubbles up to the top of the pile.

The remark about creating the issue was directed to @daveracer.

Hmmm, the one who asks should first ask him-/herself, don't you think so? I dislike your answer very much. You blaim work overload on users who help you? That's strange. Now you want me to contribute? I did, I use already openvpn 2.4.0 as you could have read. Correct? Is it so hard to read? Not to mention that you should know me from past, which you obviously dont do. Really, you are so long in sat scene and the only thing that people should actually do is to read where you reffer to it but why in hell don't you read then and follow your own advice?

You will probably reply that you dont need to participate in negative discussion where it is you who pushes it down to this read, not me. No time is your excuse, not my. No free hands is your excuse and not my. You are in a Core team, I am not. So, what do you suggest me to loose my time on.

What amazes me at most on your reply is:

1fa5LnM.png

Do you read your own logo which is since ~ 10 years the same? How was it again :), you will work for bandwith but don't care about other people's bandwith looking at this discussion :)? Nahh, you dont need to reply to this at all, I just have some strange humor, that's all.

I guess it would have been better if I wouldn't have come to help you by informing you and this is my reply to you, I will not loose my time dealing with people who are careless about me, my time and my bandwith. Wait, oh yeah, I even dont use pli currently, that must have slipped away when you read through, correct?

Well, if openpli provides me HW to test, meaning sending me some receiver, I might develop something. So far about your job offer...

Re: openvpn - how to install? #29 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,587 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2017 - 19:59

I don't really understand why this rant? I just explained the situation, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not a developer on this project, never was. I haven't written any C(++) in 30+ years. And sorry if I should have recognised you from somewhere, I've had a stroke, unfortunately my brain is far from what it used to be.

As for the job offer as you call it, we're always looking for people to help, hardware to work on if needed is not an issue, that can be provided.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #30 boki15

• 145 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2017 - 20:31

I am sorry if my expression looks like a rant, I neither wanted to rant on you nor to insult. I am sorry if it happened, that's not what I was trying to do or to say.

I did not mean in direct way that you need to know me, but I was very active pli contributor where I did wrote from pc soft to simple extensions. I just wanted to point out, I did contribute a lot, much more than you think, especially in promoting your images as well as showing them and explaining. Nobody ever changed since then to any other image, they still use openpli and it is main thing what a receiver should be before they buy, they always look up which devices are compatible here. Yes, I did spread openpli in this world pretty much.

I am sorry to hear about the stroke, it makes me happy to see you being active.

In real, I could access remotly many receivers and with that I could develop some things. But since more than 5 years I do not have possibilty to use SAT, that was the game changer, since then, I dont have openpli but when I move out, I will get for sure some sat.

I will show up more frequent than in past years, there is a lot what we couold do together for fun. In last years I developed pretty much on blockchain techs, there are really nice things which couold be done in this world with that. Ie. bitcoin wallet/paper wallet for openpli, that's probably in less than 1 hour finished. But again, let me first warm up, I haven't been here for some time and came as it annoyed me to see that most advanced team :) did not update openvpn which is for so many who I got openpli important, I speak for all of them.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #31 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,587 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2017 - 20:38

Ok, clear. ;)

I've noticed that reading "between the lines" has become a lot more difficult, so sometimes I go on about something that wasn't said or intended at all. Very annoying.

OpenVPN will be updated, it's only that every bit of time is currently directed to getting OpenPLi 5 released, which is long overdue. Once that is out, we'll have time again to update it.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #32 boki15

• 145 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2017 - 20:45

Thanks ;)

Dont worry, it is mostly on me, many people feel like if a storm runs over them, some told me that I choose words in a way that insults, I am sorry, english is not my main language.

This is the answer which is clear, I can tell to everybody that it will be with version 5 available.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #33 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 1 April 2017 - 09:33

On the other hand, boki15, whether your have been contributing to OpenPLi in the past or not, you cannot expect every wish to be fulfilled instantiously. OpenVPN is a nice thing to have, but it is NOT required for basic operation of your STB. Given the very limited amount of available work force we must make priority decisions. And then, really, OpenVPN turns out to be not more than a "nice to have". Learn to live with it or contribute a patch. Ranting or attacking team members will NOT make the prio go up, rather go down. Think before you shout, consider that politeness works better than rudeness.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #34 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 3 April 2017 - 14:55

by the moment, 2.4.1 version released, on march 22, 2017.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #35 raul7

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 April 2017 - 17:18

Hello friends, how can I Insert the openvpn at the Receiver Formuler F3 image openpli. :)

thank you my friends  ;)

Raul7 Portugal ;)

Re: openvpn - how to install? #36 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 25 April 2017 - 21:26

Via telnet/putty session to box...

opkg install openvpn

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: openvpn - how to install? #37 aftas

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 April 2017 - 14:56

Can you explain better, how can I Insert the openvpn at the Receiver Formuler F3 image openpli?

Thanks.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #38 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,587 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2017 - 14:59

Just what it says: login to the box, and type the command on the commandline.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #39 raul7

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 April 2017 - 18:21

Can you explain better, how can I Insert the openvpn at the Receiver Formuler F3 image openpli?

Thanks.

Re: openvpn - how to install? #40 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2017 - 18:37

See my previous post....

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users