Photo

repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:09

I'm currently considering to buy an Xtrend ET-9500. Before I make the big step I want to be sure I will be able to install extra stuff like I used to do on my dreambox e.g.
/opt/bin/ipkg install autossh
Can I do something like this on the Xtrend too and which (where are they) repositories are there for this machine?

thanks in advance
jean
p.s. I used e.g. the following repository for my old dreambox:
http://ipkg.nslu2-li...g/cross/stable/

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #2 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,280 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:03

ssh (dropbear) is standardwize available in our images....

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #3 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:24

ssh (dropbear) is standardwize available in our images....

That's nice but I need to install autossh too, hence my question

regards,
jean

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #4 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,280 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 12 July 2012 - 13:03

For what goal do you need autossh?

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,639 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:18

autossh automatically reconnects an ssh tunnel when it gets disconnected. it is used for ssh-based vpn's (for activities that we don't discuss here)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #6 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 July 2012 - 21:18

For what goal do you need autossh?

it' used to keep an ssh-connection alive, but I just mentioned this as an example, I like to install a lot of other programs which I'm used to using under linux, so it would be nice to have a repository with ipk-packages

best regards,
jean

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #7 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:45

autossh automatically reconnects an ssh tunnel when it gets disconnected. it is used for ssh-based vpn's (for activities that we don't discuss here)

autossh is a "neutral" program, never thought it would be associated with "activities that we don't discuss here", I just use it to keep an ssh-connection alive, nothing wrong with that

regards,
jean

Edited by jeandubois, 13 July 2012 - 07:45.

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,639 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:20

I was referring to "common use", It wasn't about your particular case.

But fact is that the only reason for using autossh on the box (which normally is a target device) is to keep an SSH tunnel open. Which you would only do if you have constant traffic from the box to elsewhere and which you can't afford to be interrupted. In relation to an STB, I know of only one traffic stream that meets this description. ;)

So I'm very interested to hear what "lots of other programs" you refer to, and new use you have found for your TSB.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #9 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 July 2012 - 21:48

But fact is that the only reason for using autossh on the box (which normally is a target device) is to keep an SSH tunnel open. Which you would only do if you have constant traffic from the box to elsewhere and which you can't afford to be interrupted. In relation to an STB, I know of only one traffic stream that meets this description. ;)

So I'm very interested to hear what "lots of other programs" you refer to, and new use you have found for your TSB.

But fact is that the only reason for using autossh on the box (which normally is a target device) is to keep an SSH tunnel open. Which you would only do if you have constant traffic from the box to elsewhere and which you can't afford to be interrupted

>I don't agree, I use it e.g. to have a permanent connection with another machine so I don't have to login everytime again I want to synchronize files between the directories of the two machines
In relation to an STB, I know of only one traffic stream that meets this description. ;)

For me it's in the first place a linux-box and I am "a command line type of person" working most of the time on linux-boxes. So I like to have
ssh, autossh, nttcp, ipkg, less, nano, joe ... to name just a few.
So my question remains the same: what linux version runs exactly on the Xtrend 9500 and where are the repositories for it, it is just comforting to know I can install and remove stuff myself if I want.

thanks in advance
jean

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,639 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 13 July 2012 - 22:30

It runs our version of OpenEmbedded on a 3.x kernel. The repositories are on our servers, you can use opkg to see which are available.

You can also use the sources to compile your own image, in which case you can include what you want.

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #11 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 July 2012 - 14:02

It runs our version of OpenEmbedded on a 3.x kernel. The repositories are on our servers, you can use opkg to see which are available.

You can also use the sources to compile your own image, in which case you can include what you want.

Thanks for the info, I suppose you meant ipkg? opkg was a typo?
On my old dreambox I started like this:
cd /tmp
wget http://ipkg.nslu2-li...3-9_powerpc.ipk
tar xvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-9_powerpc.ipk
cd /
tar xvzf /tmp/data.tar.gz
/opt/bin/ipkg update
/opt/bin/ipkg install nano

I suppose I can do something similar on an Xtrend et9500 which has openpli installed? Or maybe ipkg is available from the start without that extra preconfiguring necessary?

thanks in advance
jean

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #12 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 14 July 2012 - 14:19

s/ipkg/opkg/g
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #13 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 July 2012 - 17:36

s/ipkg/opkg/g

So it's opkg nowadays. Is it immediately ready for use or is extra preconfiguration necessary?

thanks in advance
jean

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,639 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 14 July 2012 - 17:36

It is available immediately, OpenPLi uses it for it's own components too...

Re: repository for ipk-packages for Xtrend9500? #15 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:59

It is available immediately, OpenPLi uses it for it's own components too...

wow, that's great

best regards,

jean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users