• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #41 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 20 April 2013 - 23:56

I'm not able to test things here (no dm8k, no 290, and no T2).
But for tappari, my fix on the 4th of august 2012 seems to have made it work.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #42 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:00

y only suggestion is to make sure you have the tuner set to Europe DVB-T and then do a scan and let it find the channels automatically rather than manually inputting.

Same result after an automatic scan on Europe DVB-T.

Just noticed you have another DVB-T tuner, it could be there is a conflict and your box is trying to use the Philips tuner, try removing it.

Just to be clear: it works fine if I remove the internal DVB-T tuner or if I set the USB tuner to be the first tuner to be used (through the system settings) but I don't want to :) I would like to be able to use both tuners. The problem is when I want to record / watch a DVB-T2 channel when there already is a recording ongoing. The box tries to tune to the DVB-T2 channel with the internal tuner, which doesn't work since it only supports DVB-T.

Does anybody have a workaround for that?

Edited by reg, 21 April 2013 - 00:02.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #43 jakey

• 129 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:11

If you want to watch one T2 channel and record another T2 channel then they need to be on the same frequency, i'm sure you know if one of the T2 channels is on different frequency you would need another T2 tuner,

Or are you talking about one DVB-T and one DVB-T2 channels ?

Edited by jakey, 21 April 2013 - 00:13.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #44 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:14

Yes I am talking about one DVB-T and one DVB-T2. Basically only the HD channels are broadcast in DVB-T2 here, and they are all on the same frequency.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #45 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:17

Just to be clear: it works fine if I remove the internal DVB-T tuner or if I set the USB tuner to be the first tuner to be used (through the system settings) but I don't want to :) I would like to be able to use both tuners. The problem is when I want to record / watch a DVB-T2 channel when there already is a recording ongoing. The box tries to tune to the DVB-T2 channel with the internal tuner, which doesn't work since it only supports DVB-T.

In that case, I fear that the internal DVB-T tuner (wrongfully) reports FE_CAN_2G_MODULATION, so my workaround causes e2 to assume it supports T2 as well.
There probably is nothing you can do but wait for dmm to upgrade their kernel to have proper DELSYS support.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #46 jakey

• 129 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:25

Or maybe remove internal tuner and use 2 x USB ?

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #47 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:26

Would that work?? Has anybody tried? If it works then I'll definitely do that..

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #48 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 00:43

In that case, I fear that the internal DVB-T tuner (wrongfully) reports FE_CAN_2G_MODULATION, so my workaround causes e2 to assume it supports T2 as well.
There probably is nothing you can do but wait for dmm to upgrade their kernel to have proper DELSYS support.

That would totally explain why the box is trying to use the internal DVB-T tuner on DVB-T2 channels. But it does not explain why the DVB-T2 tuner cannot tune to DVB-T2 channels once they are properly recognized as DVB-T2 (i.e. after the lamedb modification), right?

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #49 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:53

But didn't you say the tuner was working (when you disabled the internal tuner)?

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #50 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:27

This is correct. The USB tuner works when I disable the internal tuner. It also works when the internal tuner is enabled if tuner E is the default tuner.

But the DVB-T2 channels are not recognized as DVB-T2 channels, which causes problem when recording.

Can you try to locate this T2 transponder in /etc/enigma2/lamedb, and check whether the last field is '1' instead of '0'?

If it isn't, try to change it to 1 (while e2 is not running), and try again.

There was indeed a 0 instead of 1 for this transponder. When I change it, the channels are recognized as DVB-T2 but are greyed out, i.e. I am not able to zap to these channels at all. I also noticed that the USB tuner is detected as DVB-T in the tuner list (not sure if it has any meaning at all):

tunerd.png

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #51 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:30

Besides, automatic channel scan does not include the option for additional tuners (tuner E in this case).

Same thing here (but not that important IMO).

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #52 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2013 - 19:14

Sometimes I get a black screen and "no data on transponder" error on all terrestrial channels. The only way to recover I have found is to completely restart the box (not just the user interface). It happens quite often when I go back to live TV after watching a recording (not every time though). Is anybody else facing this problem?

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #53 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 April 2013 - 19:35

Sometimes I get a black screen and "no data on transponder" error on all terrestrial channels. The only way to recover I have found is to completely restart the box (not just the user interface). It happens quite often when I go back to live TV after watching a recording (not every time though). Is anybody else facing this problem?

Disabling the internal DVB-T tuner seems to have solved this problem.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #54 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 April 2013 - 19:41

Would that work?? Has anybody tried? If it works then I'll definitely do that..

I was really curious about this so I added a second USB tuner this evening. So far it's working really well!

So from now own my old DVB-T tuner is disabled & replaced by a second USB DVB-T2 tuner.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #55 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 April 2013 - 19:43

Many thanks to jakey and pieterg for helping out. I really appreciate.  :)

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #56 jakey

• 129 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 23 April 2013 - 20:01

That's good to know.

Do you use both the rear USB ports or a hub ?

I have put mine inside the 8000 and use the internal USB port.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #57 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 April 2013 - 20:03

I use both the rear ports.

Nice idea for the internal USB port. I might give it a try too.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #58 wavelet

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 July 2013 - 14:54

I've been trying to get my DM8000 to receive DVB-T2 using a PCTV290e with the latest OpenPLI 3.0 images without much success, I'm afraid. I also have a Philips internal DVB-T tuner in the box which I configure to "Nothing connected" in the tuner configuration setup, i.e. I haven't actually opened up the box and physically removed the internal DVB-T tuner.

The USB tuner works fine with DVB-T transmissions, but for DVB-T2, I find the USB tuner only very intermittently manages to perform a channel scan of the multiplex and (if a scan succeeds) never manages to tune to a DVB-T2 channel (always giving a "Tune failed" error).

Where I live (South of England) the Rowridge transmitter uses the following parameters for its DVB-T2 multiplex:
Centre frequency - 474167000Hz
Bandwidth - 8MHz
Constellation - QAM256
Code Rate 2/3
Guard Interval - 1/128
Transmission mode - 32K

There is no way currently to specify a guard interval of 1/128 and transmission mode of 32K, so I have no choice but to set these to Auto.

I'd be interested to know whether reg's and jakey's setups are still working OK for DVB-T2? Perhaps they could tell me which transmitter they are served by and I could check whether the transmission parameters are different. And pieteg, is there any chance that the ability to set guard interval of 1/128 and transmission mode of 32K could be added to image at some point?

Thanks, wavelet.

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #59 reg

• 62 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 July 2013 - 21:19

Hi wavelet,

My setup is still ok for DVB-T2. The DVB-T2 transponders in my area have a guard interval of 1/16 and a transmission mode of 32K.

Are you sure this is not due to bad reception? Maybe it's worth trying a scan on a different device (maybe your TV has a built-in DVB-T2 tuner?).

Re: DM8000 with PCTV 290e and OpenPLi 3.0 alpha #60 wavelet

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:34

Thanks for the reply, reg.  I was under the impression that all DVB-T2 transmissions in the UK used a guard interval of 1/128.  Do you configure your tuner for a guard interval of 1/16 or "auto"?  In fact, is there any chance you could post your tuner status for a HD channel?  I.e. when receiving an HD channel, select "Menu/Information/Service/Tuner Status (Blue button)" and tell me what your box displays?  Thanks.

I'm quite certain I don't have a reception issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users