←  [EN] Enduser support

Forums

»

Timeshifting problems with OpenPLi 3.0

Meega's Photo Meega 11 May 2013

Ok I uninstalled PTS and trying this new method.

Imagine this scenario:-

I'm watching the news but missed something the guy said. so I rewind 15 seconds, so far so good, I hear what the guy said and now I want to go back to live so I press stop,

this stops the timeshift  permanently and no longer records again until changing away from the channel and back again unlike PTS which will carry on recording after pressing stop.

The other way to get back to live is to FF until it catches up.

Both of these seems very clumsy or have I missed something ?

In fact, if you press the stop button alone it deletes the shift.

jakey's Photo jakey 11 May 2013

As I can't edit the post what I'm trying to say is:-

When rewinding and watching the recorded timeshift pressing stop should just stop playing the timeshift recording and not the actual recording of timeshift.

nietgiftig's Photo nietgiftig 11 May 2013

Version PTS 1.3h

-fix GS if standart "Automatically start timeshift after" enabled

-if PTS enabled->"Automatically start timeshift after" disabled

Thanks for keeping PTS working

betacentauri's Photo betacentauri 11 May 2013

No, not the same save options. You have only one timeshift file and not one for every event.
So a basic version of pts which should be sufficient for many people.

And no the disk full problem is not solved. But for me it's not a big problem (my hdd isn't full yet). If you use a USB stick it might be a bigger problem. But then you can use pts plugin.
And if someone has a really good, simple, easy to implement idea how to solve this problem without any gap (stop and then start leads on a gap) please call me.

Meega's Photo Meega 11 May 2013

As I can't edit the post what I'm trying to say is:-

When rewinding and watching the recorded timeshift pressing stop should just stop playing the timeshift recording and not the actual recording of timeshift.

I know ,i just want to back you up because i don't like this either :D

And i meant that when you are not watching timeshift and you press the stopbutton the shift will be deleted also.

Yes, you're right. I normally don't use stop button. I seek with the number keys. That's why I didn't change the stop button functionality.
(In your scenario I wouldn't jump back to live point because then I would miss some seconds....)
Nevertheless that could be fixed easily.

hwads's Photo hwads 11 May 2013

Any way to rewind live tv as in pts (not once pause is pressed)
Cheers

And no the disk full problem is not solved.

I do use a USB stick so I guess it's back to PTS for me, I do see this as a problem even for ppl who use HDD for timeshift and don't fully understand the implications.

(In your scenario I wouldn't jump back to live point because then I would miss some seconds....)

Ah but the adverts are showing so don't care if I miss a few seconds ;)

Thanks for your efforts anyway,  I do like some aspects of this method but it won't suit my needs.

So Littlesat this why we still need PTS plugin :)

Cheers

Very simple, press rewind key.

@jakey: Yes, pts plugin is not obsolete. And I understand your problem with disk space. That's also one reason why this functionality is disabled by default. When I have more time I'll try to find a nice solution for this.
Edited by betacentauri, 11 May 2013 - 14:17.

Version PTS 1.3h

-fix GS if standart "Automatically start timeshift after" enabled

-if PTS enabled->"Automatically start timeshift after" disabled

Thanks for keeping PTS working

I'd like to echo this, thanks Dima73

Edited by jakey, 11 May 2013 - 14:34.

hwads's Photo hwads 11 May 2013

Cheers

Very simple, press rewind key.
Not very simple! Don't work for me, just to be clear I mean rewinding when watching live tv and not while timeshifting is in progress.

betacentauri's Photo betacentauri 12 May 2013

Yes, I meant it in the same way.
What receiver do you have? Do you have MultiQuickButton plugin installed?

littlesat's Photo littlesat 12 May 2013

Stop is currently assigned as stop timeshift recording... You need to press pause or with stop we need somehow to re-enable the warning.

Zenox's Photo Zenox 12 May 2013

Mounted cifs shares, either manually or with /etc/fstab, are not visible as storage devices. They should show when browsing with Media Player or similar.

Q: How can I make the cifs shares visible as storage devices?

Note: I'm unable to use the great built-in gui for mounting as it adds the option "noatime" to the mount which makes timeshift malfunction (see first post in this thread). The default, when not specifying any mount option, is "relatime" which works like a charm. This is why I want to use fstab instead.

Meega's Photo Meega 12 May 2013

Stop is currently assigned as stop timeshift recording... You need to press pause or with stop we need somehow to re-enable the warning.

I think that the only way to stop/delete the timeshift should be zapping.

Besides that "stop" should stop the shift and go to live but not delete.

Timeshift is not only for skipping adds.

When you are doing that and accidentally press the stop button ,you will lose everything.

It's also for watching something back.

For instance in slow motion ,just to see if something is possible or ...how they do it.

About "disk full" i don't know,there should be something like "max hours" on a max disk capacity or reserved space on the disk

Thats how pts does it.

I use an usb stick and when it is full pts gives a warning although i never reach that point.

When the stick is not present it also gives a warning.

I don't like the max hour idea very much(not in the current situation). E.g. you set it to 3 hours. After the time the complete file is deleted. So if you want to store after 3 hours and 1 minute the file you can only store one minute.
A overlapping mechanism would be good or a stop/start without gap(that would also be good for pts plugin).
I'll put it on my todo list. And the stop button thing, too.

hwads's Photo hwads 12 May 2013

dm8000 yes mqb

Do you have assigned a function to rewind key in mqb? If yes, unset this and test again.

hwads's Photo hwads 12 May 2013

No cannot find anything assigned to rewind, when I press it I get the square not allowed sign in the top right.