compile offline

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crashman

• 76 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 March 2013 - 20:48

Hi,

I have successfully my build environment for pli3.0.

suppose I want to play around with sources in my tree and recompile without each time fetching updates from sources online, what is the best way to do so?

which files do I need to delete in order to run the "make" complete again?

Re: offline compile #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:06

Use bitbake to compile...

But if you really want to go developing on a certain program, you'd better clone the source repo of the program yourself, to another location on your harddisk, and work from there. The git checkouts that bitbake performs (by default) are not suitable for developing (the metadata is not fetched).

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: offline compile #3 crashman

• 76 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:45

ok. thanks.

My goal is to understand how the build environment works. I have no experience in this and I'm also looking at the OE documentation regarding bitbake and recipes.

Suppose I want to play with some kernel settings (dm8000) and regenerate a new nfi, I can just edit the defconfig file in meta-openpli/recipes-linux/linux/linux-dreambox-3.2/dm8000 and run the bitbake task linux-dreambox-3.2.bb?

Re: offline compile #4 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:57

you'll have to increment the version (in this case: MACHINE_KERNEL_PR_append) as well, to force bitbake to rebuild it.

Re: offline compile #5 crashman

• 76 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 March 2013 - 21:29

ok. thanks

Re: offline compile #6 crashman

• 76 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 March 2013 - 14:34

without network I'm unable to "just compile"  using :

cd openpli-oe-core
MACHINE=dm8000 make image
(note that the build environment is complete as the same statements have downloaded and built the whole image fine while i was online)

On the other hand, when I want to update my build environment, while having internet, I start this command :

git clone git://openpli.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/openpli/openpli-oe-core
cd openpli-oe-core
MACHINE=dm8000 make update
MACHINE=dm8000 make image

The git command updates the environment, but I still have the impression that not everything is rebuilded. Do I have to regenerate other things, like recipes, .... or delete binary files or even a whole directory?

Thanks.

Re: offline compile #7 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 29 March 2013 - 14:57

bitbake -f -c compile xxxx

This forces a re-compile of a package xxxx.

bitbake -f -c compile linux-dreambox in a DMM OE will re-bild the kernel and produce a new vmlinux which you then can gzip and put to /boot for testing without the need for flashing an nfi.

Edited by gutemine, 29 March 2013 - 14:58.

Re: offline compile #8 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:15

you'll have to increment the version (in this case: MACHINE_KERNEL_PR_append) as well, to force bitbake to rebuild it.

with bitbake -f -c compile linux-vusolo2 I can force a recompile of the vusolo2 kernel. But is there a way to force rebuilding ipk files (for kernel modules) without incrementing MACHINE_KERNEL_PR_append? bitbake -f -c clean linux-vusolo2 doesn't seem to remove previously built ipk files, is there a "bitbake" way to remove them and rebuild them?

Edited by malakudi, 29 March 2013 - 19:15.

Re: offline compile #9 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:15

bitbake -f -c cleansstate

Re: offline compile #10 crashman

• 76 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 April 2013 - 10:47

OK thanks. I'll try it out.