Need a new receiver. Which one ?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 cricri

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:49

Gentlemen,

I need to buy a new receiver and I read somewhere on this forum that dreambox 8000 is not the best receiver anymore.

Of course I want to be able to put OpenPli on it

Can you tell me which one is the best,the fastest, with more memory, etc...  

It would be great if I can put a TNT tuner in it in with the Sat tuner.

My idea was VU+ ultimo. Am i right ?

Many thanks in advance for any answer.

Christian

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:54

Well, the dm8000 isn't manufactured anymore, so that's an easy choice... It may not be the "best" receiver anymore, for instance because it has limited memory and because it cannot run a web browser, but besides that, it's the only receiver (apart from the vu+solo2) that can do smooth PiP in HD and also it's the only receiver than can contain four seperate tuners. VU+ has some combi-tuners that would allow e.g. the Ultimo to contain four tuners as well. I wouldn't use usb tuners if not necessary.

I think you'd better get your demands on the table and then compare.

Don't fall into the trap of "penny wise pound foolish", lots of people buy the cheapest receiver and then connect one or more usb tuners and then experience that such a cheap receiver isn't actually suited for that. On the other hand, it's seldom necessary to buy the most expensive receiver.

So, what are your demands?

Edited by Erik Slagter, 29 April 2013 - 14:57.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #3 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2013 - 16:28

If two Dvbs2 sat tuners are enough for you i suggest to buy a Vu Solo2.

It is one step ahead than all others e2 boxes in my little opinion.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #4 rtzhjgg0

• 568 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 29 April 2013 - 17:06

After years with DM8000 I bought a Solo2.

Now I added a Sundtek USB S2 tuner (waiting for the second one) and an external Sams. display because the display of Solo2 was too small for me.

Solo2 is really VERY fast - I'm satisfied with it.

The "old" DM8000 is still there (in case something goes wrong with solo2) but I use the whole time the new one :)

Selfsat H50M4
Ultimo4K /2xTwinS2, VTI, PLi, ATV...
NAS: Qnap221

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #5 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2013 - 17:23

Yes the Cpu powerful and the gigalan port make a big difference but to have a good display we have to wait for Duo2.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #6 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2013 - 17:49

I wish VU+ did a better job on their drivers and support of opensource communities. If that was the case I would for sure buy a duo2 myself and recommend VU+ as a brand.

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #7 cricri

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:35

Thank you all for these rapid answers.

@Erik 

> So, what are your demands?

I do not want to buy the cheapest one. I just want the fastest with more memory because I already own a DM8000 and I get a lot of problems.

or example when I fast forward at 16x my box freezes and I have to restart it. Or the box slows down the longest you use it.

I do not want these problems anymore but I still want to be able to put the image of my choice on it.

By the way I really need a tnt tuner in conjunction with s2 tuner. That's why I thought Vu+Ultimo was a good choice.

But "the parasol" wrote in his reply that he isn't satisfied with VU+.

Do you have any other suggestion ?

Is VU+ Ultimo compatible with openpli or does it have problems ?

Thanks again for your time !

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #8 rtzhjgg0

• 568 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:07

Don't forget: Ultimo can't display HD content on PiP window (just a sort of stotter tv)

Ultimo have no gigalan and is QUITE SLOWER than your DM8000.

Selfsat H50M4

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #9 cricri

• 8 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:10

Ok,

Thank you I think my choice will go to solo2.

But which external tnt(DVB-T) tuner do you recommend ? (I mean for which I will have working drivers)

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #10 rtzhjgg0

• 568 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:20

I personally never used DVB-T (only S2) so can't make any recommendation :)

Selfsat H50M4

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #11 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:01

But "the parasol" wrote in his reply that he isn't satisfied with VU+.
Do you have any other suggestion ?

Yes, VU+ has some driver "issues". Some experience more problems than other, you may be lucky.

Is VU+ Ultimo compatible with openpli or does it have problems ?

We have an image for it.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #12 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:19

Or await the DUO2 who has some more options and capabilities (such as a dual internal DVB-S2 tuner).

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #13 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:20

hank you I think my choice will go to solo2.

Or await the DUO2 who has some more options and capabilities (such as a dual internal DVB-S2 tuner).

That's exactly what the solo2 has ;)

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #14 metoo

• 1,573 posts

+33
Good

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:28

ET9500 with software/drivers by far ahead/in front of VU, with hbbtv faster then VUsolo2.

No problems at all with PLI. ET kernel 3.6 against VU kernel 3.1.1 ?

Or wait a few months till there are new next generation models from ET

ET10000 C C C C/T  2TB HDD ET7000 + ET6000 dvb-S  OpenPli Triax 88 multifeed quad LNBs VU Uno4K SE C+2TB HDD Mutant HD60

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #15 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:32

Euuhhhh? The Solo2 has two fixed tuners (not a dual-tuner), the DUO2 has two plugable tuners. Hence the option to use the dual-tuner board (making it a 3 (or maybe even 4) tuner box).

Edited by SatKiekerd, 30 April 2013 - 09:34.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #16 metoo

• 1,573 posts

+33
Good

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:52

And the ET9500 has plugable tuners

ET10000 C C C C/T  2TB HDD ET7000 + ET6000 dvb-S  OpenPli Triax 88 multifeed quad LNBs VU Uno4K SE C+2TB HDD Mutant HD60

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #17 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:36

Euuhhhh? The Solo2 has two fixed tuners (not a dual-tuner), the DUO2 has two plugable tuners. Hence the option to use the dual-tuner board (making it a 3 (or maybe even 4) tuner box).

I am only quoting your comment "such as a dual internal DVB-S2 tuner" (which I made bold). You say it's a duo2 feature, whilst the solo2 has exactly that, a dual internal DVB-S2 tuner.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #18 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:55

I am only quoting your comment "such as a dual internal DVB-S2 tuner" (which I made bold). You say it's a duo2 feature, whilst the solo2 has exactly that, a dual internal DVB-S2 tuner.

You miss the point: the Solo2 has two single tuners, fixed on the motherboard. Those two single tuners make the box a twin tuner box. The Solo2 has no option for dual tuner(s).

But the DUO2 has 2 tuner slots, allowing (one or two) dual tuners (and/or DVB-C/T tuners), making it a triple (or even four) tuner box..

A dual tuner (card) is not the same as twin tuner box.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #19 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:26

Ok,

But which external tnt(DVB-T) tuner do you recommend ? (I mean for which I will have working drivers)

I tried put USB DVB-T with 9135 chip, but there is some problem in drivers, because after reboot box is stick no more visibled for system ( lsblk ) and when is pluged on running box, then is detected as keyboard or so and e2 do not continue...

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #20 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 13:25

You miss the point: the Solo2 has two single tuners, fixed on the motherboard. Those two single tuners make the box a twin tuner box. The Solo2 has no option for dual tuner(s).
But the DUO2 has 2 tuner slots, allowing (one or two) dual tuners (and/or DVB-C/T tuners), making it a triple (or even four) tuner box..
A dual tuner (card) is not the same as twin tuner box.

Not at all. I know exactly what it's all about. It's just that you refuse to admit you made an error, that's what this is about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users