Need a new receiver. Which one ?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #61 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 4 May 2013 - 15:07

Look the flashing on the fly is in the python/shellscript part of dFlash, everybody who can read can duplicate how it is done for every box.

My new nfiwrite binary could easily flash EVERY box too, but as nobody was willing to test it I had to cut it short and keep DMM's nfiwrite code for OE 1.6 images and old 800 and allow only full functionality for the new Dreamboxes (!) running kernel 3.2.

writenfi is open source too, so your great developers could adopt it to the needs of their boxes themselves.

So don't aks a dumb programmer not understanding open source - ask the people who pray it on a daily basis, as there is no excuse for not doing it. And if i can do it, guess how great it would be what they could produce for you ...

But this is OT here too.

Edited by gutemine, 4 May 2013 - 15:08.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #62 hwads

• 197 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2013 - 23:56

Why?

just don't buy dreambox

;)

reason is dreambox itself ;)
Why don't you buy one, and you'll see what your missing:-)
DM 8000 using Latest PLI.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #63 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 00:46

Why?

just don't buy dreambox

;)

reason is dreambox itself ;)
Why don't you buy one, and you'll see what your missing:-)

you're kidding right ?!

i did work with dm800 , dm500hd and dm8000

dreambox sucks just like that

why should i buy something with bunch of crap like secondstage and those crap errors or 64mb nand flash

DreamUp , secondstage , TPM checks , closed enigma2 , why the hell on earth should i consider dreambox as a choice ?

i prefer to buy something else from another brand if i wanted to have a STB ;)

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #64 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 08:52

Actually the dm8000 is a nice piece of hardware, imho, it's just a bit overpriced.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 9 May 2013 - 08:52.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #65 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,473 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 12:31

Actually the dm8000 is a nice piece of hardware, imho, it's just a bit overpriced.

Without energy savings management

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #66 amigo

• 1,315 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 9 May 2013 - 13:04

Its attached to a led tv

VU+ Ultimo 4K - 78 Triax met triple Quad 

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #67 digidude

• 136 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 9 May 2013 - 13:37

I am a little bit surprised about the ignorance that you demostrated in this thread,

I understand that here someone want to push in all the ways Xtrend products, (it is clear from long time)

but to compare the performance of Solo2 with Et9500 is ridicolous.

The ET9500 is equipped with the old brcm 7413 used form long time in vu+ uno, ultimo and dmm latest boxes.

It is a 405 mhz cpu of the past broadcom generation with only 10/100 Mbps ethernet port.

http://www.satshop.t...-Sat-Receiver_4

The Solo2 is equipped with the new generation of broadcomm chipsets

We are talking about BCM7356 working at 2x1300 Ghz, with gigalan and 3d graphics engine capable to offer transcoding feature.

So please try to be a little bit objective, at least  about the hardware because it is not nice to suggest something with wrong informations.

...2x1300 Ghz...

That would make it the fastest machine on earth :)

Anyway, you meant 1300 MHz of course.

The only noticeable effect is that the box boots considerably faster. For most tasks, the CPU is only about 70% faster than the 400MHz that you find in the other boxes. Probably because the memory and cache are the same as on the older models. When I got a test example, I was convinced that the CPU ran at 700MHz because of the performance difference.

A 3D engine was already present on the dm7025, and it has never been used. And I doubt that they will ever pay Broadcom to be able to actually use it, so it'll remain an unused portion of the chip.

the chip is dual threaded (or dual core) running AT 1300 mhz, not 2 cores seperatley running at 1300, as then theyd advertise it as a 2600mhz chip

i havent looked at driver updates recently, but, originally, the Solo2 could only run one core of the processor, meaning that the ~700mhz you measured, was in fact correct, i dont know if this has been fixed yet, but even with only the 1 core running, this would be around a 75% increase compared to the 405mhz chips

DMM 2x 500s, 2x 7020Si, 600s, 800s, 500HD.

Technomate 500, 500Super, 600, 9100, 800HD, 500HD, TWIN-OE, 2T-OE, Single-OE, NANO-OE. (& all non linux)

Vu+ Duo and others :)

ALL originals, a clone free environment.

www.technomatesoftware.co.uk

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #68 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 14:04

I am a little bit surprised about the ignorance that you demostrated in this thread,

I understand that here someone want to push in all the ways Xtrend products, (it is clear from long time)

but to compare the performance of Solo2 with Et9500 is ridicolous.

The ET9500 is equipped with the old brcm 7413 used form long time in vu+ uno, ultimo and dmm latest boxes.

It is a 405 mhz cpu of the past broadcom generation with only 10/100 Mbps ethernet port.

http://www.satshop.t...-Sat-Receiver_4

The Solo2 is equipped with the new generation of broadcomm chipsets

We are talking about BCM7356 working at 2x1300 Ghz, with gigalan and 3d graphics engine capable to offer transcoding feature.

So please try to be a little bit objective, at least  about the hardware because it is not nice to suggest something with wrong informations.

...2x1300 Ghz...

That would make it the fastest machine on earth :)

Anyway, you meant 1300 MHz of course.

The only noticeable effect is that the box boots considerably faster. For most tasks, the CPU is only about 70% faster than the 400MHz that you find in the other boxes. Probably because the memory and cache are the same as on the older models. When I got a test example, I was convinced that the CPU ran at 700MHz because of the performance difference.

A 3D engine was already present on the dm7025, and it has never been used. And I doubt that they will ever pay Broadcom to be able to actually use it, so it'll remain an unused portion of the chip.

the chip is dual threaded (or dual core) running AT 1300 mhz, not 2 cores seperatley running at 1300, as then theyd advertise it as a 2600mhz chip

i havent looked at driver updates recently, but, originally, the Solo2 could only run one core of the processor, meaning that the ~700mhz you measured, was in fact correct, i dont know if this has been fixed yet, but even with only the 1 core running, this would be around a 75% increase compared to the 405mhz chips

just compiled a new image x solo2 with latest drivers and new kernel 3.3.8

It seems to me clear: 2 x 1305.2

Attached File  solo2cpu.png   146.15KB   67 downloads

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #69 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 9 May 2013 - 14:21

Enigma can only use 1 core that's the first issue.

Secondly it's not about CPU Mhz but bogomips which I heard is only 0 = 869,37 and 1 = 651,26 BogoMips

So the cpu is 1300Mhz and delivers 869 Bmips which is only factor 0,67

Normal factors 1, 1.5 and even 2 are not uncommon does this mean the CPU in the box is ripped?

Off course it will give better performance but when you hear duo 1,3Ghz and see real performance I have to agree it's around 700Mhz

Edited by WTE, 9 May 2013 - 14:23.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

:rolleyes:                :rolleyes:

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #70 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 14:33

I understand what you means.

But in any way you want to compare performances with Et9500 (or anyother 7413 box), you have to agree that the difference is really important.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #71 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 9 May 2013 - 15:46

Bogomips is not a benchmark. enigma does use multiple threads, but for regular tv watching, displaying the osd, zapping you probably won't notice the difference.
You will notice the difference when playing media through gstreamer. Or with dts downmixing when the box doesn't support that in hardware. Enigma stays much more responsive when those tasks are run on another core.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #72 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 16:07

i really don't understan what is your problem in admit the great performances and hardware superiority.

Try to meausre the difference in boot time and in enigma2 start. Try to measure the difference in file upload/dowalod.

The Solo2 it is about 300% faster than all 7413 boxes included Dm7020hd and Et9500.

Instead of this i read here only tries to minimize the differences.

I will let you continue to talk without me, i am tired.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #73 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 16:11

i really don't understan what is your problem in admit the great performances and hardware superiority.

That's because WTE sells Xtrend's and MaxDigitaal boxes: the VU's (formerly also sold by him) are his competitor.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #74 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,473 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 16:56

isn't Satkiekerd at the VU+ payroll?  ;)

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #75 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 17:16

isn't Satkiekerd at the VU+ payroll?   ;)

If only that were true....

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #76 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 17:22

isn't Satkiekerd at the VU+ payroll?   ;)

If only that were true....

Having said that: maybe better not, as that would probably prevent me from complaining about driver flaws.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #77 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 18:46

Its attached to a led tv

So what do you mean by that?

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #78 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2013 - 19:19

Secondly it's not about CPU Mhz but bogomips which I heard is only 0 = 869,37 and 1 = 651,26 BogoMips

So the cpu is 1300Mhz and delivers 869 Bmips which is only factor 0,67

Normal factors 1, 1.5 and even 2 are not uncommon does this mean the CPU in the box is ripped?

Off course it will give better performance but when you hear duo 1,3Ghz and see real performance I have to agree it's around 700Mhz

Try a vusolo2 once, just for the feeling. It boots so much faster than any other receiver. We are not talking of 10-80% but 2x-3x faster. The hardware of the vusolo2 is really nice. If only the drivers were the same...

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #79 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:56

I understand what you means.

But in any way you want to compare performances with Et9500 (or anyother 7413 box), you have to agree that the difference is really important.

Yes I agree the performances is lot better and it's probably the best buy (for now) when you need a twin model.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

:rolleyes:                :rolleyes:

Re: Need a new receiver. Which one ? #80 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:02

Enigma does use multiple cores, but only when programmers make an effort. The python interpreter can only run on one thread at a time (look for "GIL", global interpreter lock, if you want the gory details) but anything outside python (e.g. EPG searching and so) will run on the native threading mechanism when called from a Python thread.

Even though E2 spawns a considerable number of threads, most of these threads spend their time waiting on other threads...

OpenPLi4 demonstrates using OpenMP to speed up the screengrabber by using both cores to speed up image processing, this method could be used for many routines in E2 too. This isn't supported in OpenPLi3.

Edited by MiLo, 13 May 2013 - 11:03.

Real musicians never die - they just decompose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users