29 replies to this topic

#1 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,034 posts

+255
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 16:03

Hi,

I follow the section Rytec of this board and many times due to CrossEPG bugs the advice is to uninstall CrossEPG and replace it with xmltvimport and each time this indeed fix the problem of the end-user.

(exemple: CrossEPG doesn't take into account the namespace to write the EPG data in memory so this lead to conflict between channels).

So questions:  

- Why Openpli feed still propose CrossEPG if we know that this gives issues?

- Why not remove CrossEPG and leave only xmltvimport (perhaps with a kind of redirection from CrossEPG to xmltvimport in the feed if possible)?

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 20:16

It seems that crossepg features some Sky UK channels that xmltv doesn't.

You do have a good point though.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 29 October 2013 - 20:17.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #3 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,034 posts

+255
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 21:30

I can also add that CrossEPG uninstall doesn't work, people needs to go and delete manually the CrossEPG folder in /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins otherwhise they have a gsod after trying to uninstall CrossEPG.

If channels are missing it should be discussed in the Rytec section, I guess it is just the source that are missing.

Edited by Pr2, 29 October 2013 - 21:30.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #4 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 29 October 2013 - 22:18

It seems this is not exactly black and white: http://openpli.org/f...port-mod/page-2

Problems with XMLTV Import, too... And big ones, with running out of memory etc.

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,215 posts

+1,713
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 22:33

That link is about some custom EPG import stuff, not about the XMLTVimporter? It's the most efficient solution, as it hooks directly into Enigma, unlike the plugins that fiddle with epg.dat style emulations...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #6 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 29 October 2013 - 22:38

Indeed, that looked like that initially... but then...

Maybe I got the wrong end of it all in Alien2...

But in 500HD it was also getting bad...

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #7 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,034 posts

+255
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 22:52

Come on Gorski don't come with link to thread that has nothing to do with this thread.

Alien2 is not officially supported by Openpli anyway, so don't come here with bugs on non supported devices.

Every EPG importer can lead to memory problem if you try to load too many things in memory, remember that the EPG is stored in memory and not in the epg.dat file which is just a cache file written when E2 is set in stand-by and read when waked up.

Pr2

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #8 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 29 October 2013 - 23:25

Maybe I am reading it all wrong...

I think I read reports saying that original and modded versions of XMLTV Import had the same problem (running out of memory)...

I tried original and modded versions in F500HD, XP1000 (BRDCM) and Alien2 (SH4).

Maybe I will try both of them, all over again, with OpenPLi images, as well as...

Then we'll see...

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #9 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:54

1- Cross can be used for reading the proprietary Open-TV EPG as is used by Sky-UK & IT.

They have a habit of keeping their EPG very actual (so many people set Cross to every hour or so), while XMLTV-importer has only one actualisation per day.

2- Cross uses a huge amount of memory during the import/parsing process. This is the main reason that Cross gives problems on several hardware/images. Using a swap-file will help most of the time

3- Using Cross for anything else then Open-TV on 28.2E & 13.0E isn't a good idea; the XMLTV-importer does a far better job then.

4- Cross doesn't work 'in the background', but claims a tuner.

5- Cross is being written again from new as we speak. But it may take some time before the new version can be released.

As PLi already supports a large number of EPG-formats, and Cross is open source, by far the best option would be to embed the Open-TV EPG format in PLi as well. That way the system would be as stable as possible, and EPG-data would always be up-to-date (provided the box is tuned to Sky every once and again).

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #10 rtzhjgg0

• 568 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:00

As PLi already supports a large number of EPG-formats, and Cross is open source, by far the best option would be to embed the Open-TV EPG format in PLi as well. That way the system would be as stable as possible, and EPG-data would always be up-to-date (provided the box is tuned to Sky every once and again).

B) :) B)

Selfsat H50M4
Ultimo4K /2xTwinS2, VTI, PLi, ATV...
NAS: Qnap221

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #11 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,091 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:41

by far the best option would be to embed the Open-TV EPG format in PLi as well.

I agree.

But for us Dutchmans Open-TV EPG is not really interesting, especially when there are free plugins available who do the job and Reytec EPG is a good alternative.

Possibly someone of interest is willing to offer us a good patch. Please note OpenPLi is Open - Sources to emulate Open-TV EPG are also open. Someone who really use it on a daily basis can better code it.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #12 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:43

by far the best option would be to embed the Open-TV EPG format in PLi as well.

I agree.

But for us Dutchmans Open-TV EPG is not really interesting, especially when there are free plugins available who do the job and Reytec EPG is a good alternative.

Possibly someone of interest is willing to offer us a good patch. Please note OpenPLi is Open - Sources to emulate Open-TV EPG are also open. Someone who really use it on a daily basis can better code it

Not sure who 'us Dutchamans' is, but PLi is used by an international user-group.

And speaking for myself I must say I watch more English then Dutch TV. So for 'this Dutchy' it would be welcome (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Dutch guy to whom that applies).

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,215 posts

+1,713
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:50

Indeed. Make that two. :)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #14 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:42

There are several epg readers waiting to be included in e2, but my personal opinion is we should first sort out the epgcache, before adding any more readers.

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #15 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 17:10

I know you find the present EPG-cache not optimal (which is probably correct), but adding extra readers won't bring in more EPG-data (only from a different source).

Or is it about manpower-planning?

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #16 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 17:18

Bit of both.

Adding new readers means a lot of code duplication, at the moment.

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #17 SpaceRat

• 1,030 posts

+65
Good

Posted 30 October 2013 - 18:16

Actually, there are people that highly prefer CrossEPG over xmltv-Import.

Me for example.

I've noticed many times that the Rytec XMLTV files contained some kind of data that made E2 crash, while the XEPGDB repacked Rytec data of the same day didn't cause the same crash.

Also, from a technical point of view the idea of having millions of STBs parse raw xml data, rather than pre-packing them once (into XEPGDB format for example) sounds stupid.

So as long as XEPGDB repacked Rytec data is available, I'll keep using that.

1st box: Vu+ Ultimo 4k 4xDVB-S2 FBC / 2xDVB-C / 1.8 TB HDD / OpenATV 6.2
2nd box: Gigablue Quad 4k 2xDVB-S2 FBC / 2xDVB-C / 1.8 TB HDD / OpenATV 6.2
testing boxes: Vu+ Duo² + AX Quadbox HD2400 + 2x Vu+ Solo² + Octagon SF4008
Sats & Pay-TV: Astra 19.2°E + Hotbird 13°E with Redlight / SCT HD / SES Astra HD- / Sky V14 / 4th empire propaganda TV
Card-Server: Raspberry Pi + IPv6-capable oscam
Router: Linksys WRT1900ACS w/ LEDE + Fritz!Box 7390

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #18 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 30 October 2013 - 18:23

Sadly, from my experience (EX-YU channels, mainly), XEPGDB is seriously incorrect way too often...

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #19 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,034 posts

+255
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 18:48

I've noticed many times that the Rytec XMLTV files contained some kind of data that made E2 crash, while the XEPGDB repacked Rytec data of the same day didn't cause the same crash.

Also, from a technical point of view the idea of having millions of STBs parse raw xml data, rather than pre-packing them once (into XEPGDB format for example) sounds stupid.

Did you report the Rytec Data data that made crash your E2? I never encountered so far this problem. And if you really encountered this problem please report it so Rytec team can check what happens... but perhaps that the crash that you have came from... CrossEPG...

millions STBs don't parse raw xml data, the xml data is structured it just "send in memory" the data that you need to have.

XEPGDB is also send in some way into the STB memory, so no difference it is just the format that is different to achieve the same goal. So what is the advantage of XEPGDB?

You always need to have a source to feed the internal EPG, the format of the source file doesn't matter.

So in both case millions STBs need to download the data somewhere and process it...

Re: CrossEPG vs xmltvimport #20 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 21:33

And the problem is the way Cross handless the data-parsing process: that's a very memory hungry process (compared to XMLTV-importer) and low-spec boxes (such as the Solo) can't handle that without an active swap-file. And even then it's quite often a problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CrossEPG, xmvtvimport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users