Photo

How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 bDang

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:52

Dear community,

There are already many Android receiver on the market. After all, Android receivers are still new and the system is not mature enough for STB , so there still isn´t any Android box which can compete with E2 boxes like  VU+ Solo2 , Gigablue HD 800. 

If there is a new powerful Android HD Reiceiver that enables you to watch TV (FTA & Pay TV ) , record TV shows, go to the Internet , go to a network , download apps and operate the device with your smart phone, also it has the following advantages, how many euros will you spend on it :

1 excellent hardware
2 powerful DVB-function like traditional E2 boxes
3 noticeably improved stability and safety
4 easy to use for both amateur and professional
5 excellent 2D and 3D gaming experience with supplied Airmouse
6 Real Full HD 1080P
7 ingenious multi-screen function and practical cloud backup feature
8 full support for XBMC and Google Play

Thank you for any sensible answers.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #2 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 13:58

I only care about point "2".

Points "2" and "6" are already covered by all recent E2 compatible boxes.

Points 1, 3 and 4 are too vague to actually mean anything.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #3 mirakels

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 7,599 posts

+62
Good

Posted 18 November 2013 - 13:58

3 euros.

But on the other hand if it would run a normal linux environment (like Maemo, MER, Sailfish) it would be worth a few euros more... depending on

1- what is excellent hardware?

2- how powerfull the DVB function really is

5- how excellent the graphics engine is

6- if it can do more than  full hd 1080P. E.g. to do multi-screen excellent gaming

7- what an ingenious multi-screen function is

Geen wonder... Had slechts een dm7000, maar wel ook een rotor. eigenlijk al een tijdje ook een dm600 en dm7025. Maar nu kijkend met een et9000 en vuduo

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #4 deleted

• 702 posts

+48
Good

Posted 18 November 2013 - 15:17

Stupid question if you ask me, if it's equally as good as an Enigma2 tuner, you can ask the same price, if it's better you can ask a bit more, but 1 point you forgot.

It MUST be able to import e2 settingslists.

Why would we need an ingenious multi-screen function?? When receiving 5000 channels it's hard enough to watch them on 1 screen, let alone on 2 screens.

It's going to be hard to beat Enigma2 taking out the "Bling" of the UI out of the equation.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #5 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 15:54

0 Euro.

Why the Hell should i use Android where i can have Linux ?

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #6 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 15:59

More interesting:

Would it be open source?

In particular, would it have open source drivers, firmware and all?

(for example, the current E2 boxes aren't open source because the drivers are closed. The famous Raspberry Pi is also NOT open source in this respect.)

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #7 bDang

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:24

3 euros.

But on the other hand if it would run a normal linux environment (like Maemo, MER, Sailfish) it would be worth a few euros more... depending on

1- what is excellent hardware?

2- how powerfull the DVB function really is

5- how excellent the graphics engine is

6- if it can do more than  full hd 1080P. E.g. to do multi-screen excellent gaming

7- what an ingenious multi-screen function is

Na, so I said already "Thank you for any sensible answers." But I don´t think 3 Euros is a sensible answer.

It´s a little bit hard to explain without showing any prototypes. But I've already mentioned, if there is blablabla. So I'm just talking about a suppose. Linux is now dominating but it doesn't mean it will dominate forever. 

So if you don't like Android box, ok, you don't even buy it. your choice. But if you have any Interest, how much would you pay for one ?

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #8 bDang

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:26

0 Euro.

Because you may have more fun. Because Linux doesn't support XBMC. Because it's easier to use. And still many because... 

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #9 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:30

0 Euro.

Because you may have more fun. Because Linux doesn't support XBMC. Because it's easier to use. And still many because... 

more fun ? Linux doesn't support XBMC ?

ah ok ok .... thanks for your explanation. ^_^

Edited by bacicciosat, 18 November 2013 - 16:32.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #10 bDang

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:37

But I´m now talking about Linux Set top box!!! And till now it doesn´t support XBMC. Maybe E2MBC has something new.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #11 bDang

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:43

More interesting:

Would it be open source?

In particular, would it have open source drivers, firmware and all?

(for example, the current E2 boxes aren't open source because the drivers are closed. The famous Raspberry Pi is also NOT open source in this respect.)

Sorry I don´t know. Because I´m not the seller, I´m not talking about a specific box. I just ask if people have any interest in Android box, and this android box is also sufficient for daily use, how much would you pay for it. And regarding Open source. I don't care. I just donwload apps from Google Play!

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #12 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:17

And regarding Open source. I don't care.

In that case, I won't buy it.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #13 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:24

But I´m now talking about Linux Set top box!!! And till now it doesn´t support XBMC. Maybe E2MBC has something new.

You are wrong again.

I have here PrismCube that is a pure Linux Stb running XBMC.

The only negaive side of this nice box is that is not fully opened and for this reason i am worried that this

box will have not success.

At the present there are many good box in the market with very good hardware.

The problem is that companies seems that are going to forget what was the reason

for the success of the linux stb. 1) Linux. 2) Open sources and open platforms.

So i agree with Milo and pieterg. Before to think to propose something on the market, you should take care

of this.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #14 bDang

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:41

I'm sorry I just overreacted. But I really don't know if the Android Box is open source because I'm not a tech guy. Maybe yes may no. That's what I can say.

You are wrong again.

The only negaive side of this nice box is that is not fully opened and for this reason i am worried that this

The problem is that companies seems that are going to forget what was the reason

So i agree with Milo and pieterg. Before to think to propose something on the market, you should take care

of this.

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes.

One more question. You've mentioned two reasons for the success of linux STB: 1) Linux. 2) Open sources and open platforms.
if the Android Box is open sources, do you think it's possible that Android would clone the success of linux STB?

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #15 mirakels

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 7,599 posts

+62
Good

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:49

yes, the '3 euros' was for fun, but theremaingin part of the post is dead serieus.

And don't forget Android also truns a linux kernel but runs a virtaul machine on top of it, possibly lossing performance.

And XMBC certainly runs on linux.

Your questeion to much hypothetical right now. Your question is abit like

"what would you pay for a car with excellent speed, many features and a beautiful color and with round wheels."

Geen wonder... Had slechts een dm7000, maar wel ook een rotor. eigenlijk al een tijdje ook een dm600 en dm7025. Maar nu kijkend met een et9000 en vuduo

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #16 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:50

I'm sorry I just overreacted. But I really don't know if the Android Box is open source because I'm not a tech guy. Maybe yes may no. That's what I can say.

>> 

You are wrong again.

of this.

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes.

One more question. You've mentioned two reasons for the success of linux STB: 1) Linux. 2) Open sources and open platforms.
if the Android Box is open sources, do you think it's possible that Android would clone the success of linux STB?

Sorry i am not objective because i don't like android.

I think no. But maybe is better someone else will answer to this.

Edited by bacicciosat, 18 November 2013 - 17:51.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #17 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 18 November 2013 - 19:56

There is no software that has the capabilities enigma2 has as a DVB frontend interface. I have tried other software, like Spark from some STi boxes, or recently the mbox/xbmc from Prismcube. For example, I really don't understand why I should program my Diseqc 1.2 VBOX positioner again for every position. I've seen this limitation in many different software. Enigma1 and enigma2 can be "told" to use my stored positions.

Andoid is nice, but if it doesn't have a DVB application which is as versatile and as open as enigma2 then it will have no success. XBMC is also nice, but if the 3D interface doesn't run at full 50 fps (60fps for North America) refresh rate, then the 3d effects are lagging and are not enjoyed.

Sure, enigma2 interface is a bit old-fashioned and its media support through gstreamer is getting behind every day it passes (we really need newer gstreamer), but in the DVB part it is still the best software there is.

If you want both worlds, get a descent Android TV box and a descent enigma2 broadcom box.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #18 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:48

...(we really need newer gstreamer)...

Problem is that the new ones just don't work on our boxes. OE-core has moved to 1.2 recently, but we cannot follow.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #19 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:04

Sure, enigma2 interface is a bit old-fashioned.

Uhmm if we look at graphic library of enigma2 we see that it looks like a quite incomplete. It seems that nobody has never take care about this side.

Maybe this is because the reason to be always back compatible with the old models with their poor processors and resources.

But latest broadcomm generation chipset start to be capable to run opengl 3d graphics.

So the latest box that are running enigma2 seems to be more powerful and ready to make a jump in graphic interface side and pheraps it is time for enigma2 to think to graphic evolution too.

Re: How many euros will you spend on an Android Receiver ? #20 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:01

Sure, enigma2 interface is a bit old-fashioned.

So the latest box that are running enigma2 seems to be more powerful and ready to make a jump in graphic interface side and pheraps it is time for enigma2 to think to graphic evolution too.

Sure, just bring on the memory hog 3d effects after loading all the timers, epg stuff and also expect good performance out of it..

Except the arm found in the raspbpie no other bradcom uses compatible opengl for the XBMC.

Speaking of which an stb is not a "bling bling" iphone/android smart phone..and it should never be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users