VUDUO

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 May 2014 - 18:52

I just did an over the air update to my vuduo running openpli4 and now the box will boot up properly.

It will display the boot up channel but the display on the vuduo stays at restarting or a garbled version of 'reading usb' even though there is no usb to read.

The box is unresponsive and all I can do is power down and up with the power switch at the rear of the vuduo.

Is it just me?

Re: Todays update has a problem #2 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,229 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 2 May 2014 - 19:10

My Duo often does that. It has ever since I got it. Nothing to do with any image in particular. Just switch it off and on at the rocker switch normally clears it.

Edited by Huevos, 2 May 2014 - 19:11.

Re: Todays update has a problem #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,215 posts

+1,713
Excellent

Posted 2 May 2014 - 19:11

Last time I had that a capacitor was about to blow...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Todays update has a problem #4 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 May 2014 - 19:25

Replaced the capacitor with a higher spec end of last year so unlikely to be that.

I have now managed after about 15 power downs and back on again to get it to boot up fully.

Panic over for now. :)

Re: Todays update has a problem #5 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2014 - 12:52

Then probably this capacitor is going to fault any time soon as well (because you didn't add a ceramic capacitor in parallel, probably) or the voltage regulator itself is dying, because it has been stressed for a long time by a bad capacitor.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Todays update has a problem #6 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 15:04

Is there a FAQ about this ceramic capacitor?

I don' recall ever seeing anything about this.
I just replaced one capacitor with a higher value when all I had when powering on was a red light.

dog-man...

Re: Todays update has a problem #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,215 posts

+1,713
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2014 - 16:55

There's a design problem related to high frequencies that causes the capacitor to deteriorate prematurely.

The ceramic capacitor is there to filter those frequencies, if you don't add it you new elco will go quite quickly as well.

You should be able to find plenty here if you search for C807.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Todays update has a problem #8 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 17:33

Thanks. I shall investigate.

Re: Todays update has a problem #9 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2014 - 18:00

BTW replacing the capacitor with a "higher" value won't help. If it's a higher capacity (more uF's) it may not even work and a higher voltage won't help.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Todays update has a problem #10 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 18:02

Just checked and 807 is the one I replaced last November.

Re: Todays update has a problem #11 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 19:36

Can anyone give me details about the ceramic capacitor?

Re: Todays update has a problem #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2014 - 19:40

It actually not that important exactly what ceramic capacitor to use. Just use whatever you have lying around, anything with a capacitance of 100 nF or bigger, being a ceramic or a plastic C doesn't even matter (MKT, MKC, MKP...). As long as it's no electrolytic C, I wouldn't advice using tantalium as well. It has to do with "high" frequencies detoriating the electrolytic C, the non-elco will short these frequencies.

Re: Todays update has a problem #13 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 19:42

I replaced C807 late last year, so which number is the ceramic capacitor I should also change?

Re: Todays update has a problem #14 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2014 - 19:44

You don't replace the ceramic C, you add it. Make the ceramic C short the elco. In other words, solder the ceramic C to the same points the elco is soldered to. For the elco, watch the polarity, for the ceramic (or plastic) the polarity doesn't matter.

Re: Todays update has a problem #15 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 19:48

So I need a ceramic capacitor and I solder it to the C807?

Can you give me exact details / specs of a ceramic cap I should get?

I can get one either tomorrow or Monday if I have enough time.

Re: Todays update has a problem #16 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2014 - 19:54

Yes solder it parallel to the C807. Or actually, solder both the elco and the ceramic C to the points where the C807 was soldered originally. I can't explain it more clearly ;).

Like I said above, it's not quite important what value or type to use. As long as it's "solid" (ceramic, plastic). Capacitance about 100 nF or bigger, voltage > 12 V, that's all. It doesn't have to cost more than a few cents.

Re: Todays update has a problem #17 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 19:58

OK, Thanks. I will definitely do this when I can get one.

I have known about C807 cap failing for many years, but have never known about adding a ceramic cap also.

dog-man....

Re: Todays update has a problem #18 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2014 - 20:07

You could use such as these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330824144938
But it can take a while before you get them

Re: Todays update has a problem #19 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 20:09

Thanks.

I am in the UK, but I am sure that I can source them.

Re: Todays update has a problem #20 dog-man

• 394 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2014 - 21:30

Order placed so hopefully within 2 weeks it will arrive all the way from China. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VUDUO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users