• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xevios

• 17 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 August 2014 - 19:25

Hello,

I have the following situation:

My home network is 1 Gb/s, using cisco 1GB Router (wired and wireless). 
Also my internet connection is 1 Gb/s (provider promise 250 Mb/s, but it connected using 1Gb LAN 5r-cat cable).
My primary PC has two 750GB HDDS (about 5 years old) and i have 2 TB NAS for storage. 
What i have noticed:
If i'm downloading something from the internet, the speed can reach up to 70 MB/s (megabytes per second, not megabits, and usually it happens at night time, when the channel is not loaded by others). But at the rest time the speed is 20-25 MB/s which means that my HDD able to store the data at that speed.
But when i'm trying to copy a file from one HDD to another HDD (on the same PC) the speed is just 15 -18 MB/s.
Also when i'm trying to copy a file from PC's HDD to NAS HDD (over 1 GB network, both PC and NAS have 1GB interface) the speed is something around 13-14 MB/s. The same is vice versa from HAS to PC the speed is 13-14 MB/s.
I don't understand, why download speed from the internet is much faster than HDD to HDD or even trough the local network.
Also i have MacBook Pro with SSD, i've tried to copy a file from Mac's SSD to NAS and back, over wired network and wireless network.
I've got about 20 MB/s using wireless network, and 30 using wired lan. All transfers are made using samba protocol. 
Look like my PC is blocking the speed (Windows 7 machine), but i can't find what causes this problem.
It just a normal behaviour. 

Also, for these tests all firewalls was disabled except one in router. 

Any thoughts on it ?

Re: Network speed, HDD speed #2 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 2 August 2014 - 11:12

Check your measurements - file size and data rates are not always reported correctly.

Your old disks appear to run rather slowly. Writing to normal rotating harddisks is usually about as fast as reading them. If your disk's free space is heavily fragmented and uses an inefficient old filesystem (like old windows NTFS with 2k clusters) it'll be slower to write too.

NAS boxes don't always have the CPU power to keep up with the network when transferring data via samba and such. FTP or HTTP is usually the fastest protocol.

To measure network speed, you can use a tool like netbench, netperf or iperf.

Edited by MiLo, 2 August 2014 - 11:12.

Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Network speed, HDD speed #3 hansham

• 19 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 April 2015 - 13:49

Once my NAS was very slow and it helped to re format it completely and do not set any Jumbo Frames.

it went from 20 Mb/s to 50 MB/sec

VU+DUO / 2xVU+SOLO / Visiosat BIG Bisat / 3xInverto Quad Red Extend / 1xALPS quad / 4xVenton DIWO-518E Exclusive line DiSEqC / Draytec Vigor 2130n Gigabit router / Zyxtel GS-108B switch / Cat-6 UTP / Synology DS-109 NAS / WD10EARS HDD 1TB

Re: Network speed, HDD speed #4 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2015 - 15:14

If jumbo frames are not "working properly" you will a complete lack of working. It's not a performance issue. Anyway, I don't think anyone at home should ever enable jumbo frames, there are simply too much consequences.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Network speed, HDD speed #5 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 2 May 2015 - 07:37

.... and that's a fact! ;)

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users