The right DVB-C box

stable fast transcoding dvb-c quality

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dixon

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:28

I'm Dutch but I'll do this in English per forum request.

I've been using a Dreambox clone for quite some time now and it's time to replace it with a proper box. Not a clone. I'm looking for something good with the following requirements:

* DVB-C

* The best image quality possible

* Stable and fast

* Streaming (transcoding) capabilities

I don't need any recording options so I don't need a harddrive. 

What would be a good recommendation? It would be nice to be able to watch TV and have a second person watch a different channel via a computer (thus the transcoding / streaming capabilities) although I'm not sure that's even possible?

Budget doesn't matter.

Re: The right DVB-C box #2 viasat

• 16 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:41

Every new enigma2 can stream from webinterface to Pc,transcoding means that you can adjust the bitrate of the stream,for mobile devices streaming,where bandwith it's important.
You didnt specified the maximum budget,it's very important,and if you want single or dual tuner(1xdvb-c or 2xdvb-c)
One more important thing,at least for me,I will never buy in my life,an receiver with battery security board,like Xtrend Et 8000, et 10000 , Mutant hd2400 or Formuler F1 or F3.
If you want Openpli compatibility,my first option it will be Vu Duo2,it's stable and mature,it has hardware transcoding,lcd display,two slots for tuners and you can find it in Germany with one tuner and one place empty,at 319 euro,with 3 years warranity,and second option it will be ET8500, a new box,a little pricey at 349 euro,but it has a new design,if you want something different.
This is just my personal opinion.
Cheers
DM7020HD (1xdvb-s2,1xdvb-c,1xdvb-c sundtek usb)

Re: The right DVB-C box #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:44

And you think the Duo2 doesn't have any security protection? I'd swap it for an ET10K any time.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: The right DVB-C box #4 Dixon

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:45

Let's set the maximum budget at 500 euro. 

To have one person watch TV and the other stream another channel, I'll be needing 2 DVB-C tuners? If so, that will be a requirement then. And it would be great to have transcoding to stream to a mobile device.

Re: The right DVB-C box #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:52

Transcoding is limited to the Duo2 (sort of), Solo2 (actually not really), the ET10K or the Mutant HD2400.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: The right DVB-C box #6 Dixon

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:53

All right and to be able to have one person watch and another stream another channel would require two tuners?

Re: The right DVB-C box #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:54

I have no DVB-C tuners, so I can't comment on how they exactly work.

Re: The right DVB-C box #8 viasat

• 16 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 March 2015 - 21:55

It will be better with two tuners,because with one tunner you can stream only the chanels from the same frequency of the chanel that you'are watching at tv.
I don't care about protection,every receiver it has one,but I don't want a battery with limited lifetime in my receiver,and,as I said,it's only my personal opinion,everyone it's free to have one.
Vu Duo2 with 2x dvb-c it has all you want,and it's in your budget.
At this moment,it will be my choice.
Et8500 it has place for 4 tuners,but it has weaker cpu,no hardware transcoding and it's to new,no stable yet.
Maybe other members will suggest you something else.
Best Regards

Re: The right DVB-C box #9 Dixon

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 March 2015 - 22:31

I appreciate your opinion and I look at all suggestions made by anyone. With two tuners, I also need to attach two coax cables? Looks like it should work with CCcam.

Re: The right DVB-C box #10 viasat

• 16 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2015 - 08:50

Yes,you need to use a splitter to have two coax,for two tuners,and yes,both tuners will work with cccam.
If you need OpenPli compatibility,only 3-4 boxes meet you criteria,and from all,Vu Duo2 it will be my choice.
At this moment,the most powerfull box you can choose on the market(hardware wise) it's DM7080 ,but doesnt tick two options: it's not OpenPli supported,and it's out from your budget.
So,it's up to you to make the choice.
Cheers

Re: The right DVB-C box #11 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 5 March 2015 - 09:04

I would certain go for Mutant HD2400, it has workable hardware transcoding, there are solution for CI+ what will been need for UPC and probably soon Ziggo in the Netherlands.

It's in my opinion on most points better then Duo2 and I believe as well as the expensive dm7080.

Cable has only 2 channels on a transponder, it's not like on satellite where 1 transponder held 10 or 15 channels. So if you want to watch and record a different channel then you need minimal 2 tuners.

You do not need a splitter or something. The DVB-C has an in and output and just by connect an easy cable from tuner1 out to tuner2 in will work fine.

Edited by WTE, 5 March 2015 - 09:06.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

:rolleyes:                :rolleyes:

Re: The right DVB-C box #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2015 - 09:14

Well here with UPC you certainly have 10-20 channels on one complex, they're QAM256 so the space is there. But of course NPO 1, NPO 2 and NPO 3 are all on different complexes so you'd need three tuners to watch them all after all.

TS: please consider the encryption your provider uses. If it's UPC, you can watch all "basispakket" channels FTA no problem, but any other channel can't be watched on an "open" receiver, there is no workaround for that. With Ziggo it's possible, but some work is required.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: The right DVB-C box #13 viasat

• 16 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2015 - 10:33

I'm not a big fan of Marusys,and I recommended VU+ only because the firm is serious and it has a few years on sat scene ,same thing for Xtrend.

Maybe Mutant hd2400 it's a good box,but can you guarantee that it wil be support for it after 1 year?You can't ,and when I spend 3-400 euros,I want to be sure that I buy the right thing,with proven support,and only time tell you that.

A lot of boxes have good hardware,but only support (firmware and warranity) can make me buy it.Three yars warranity on European importer ,and almost 2 years from the launch,it makes me to buy at this moment Vu Duo2.

I was a big fan of DMM products,my current box it's DM7020hd ,but the high prices ,and the new "closed" philosophy makes me sad,and I cannot recommend it anymore,but it's just me.

Anyway,everyone has his opinion,and the @Dixon can choose what ever he wants,it's his money on the line!

Best Regards!

Edited by viasat, 5 March 2015 - 10:33.

Re: The right DVB-C box #14 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2015 - 10:57

And of course: http://openpli.org/wiki/comparison

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: The right DVB-C box #15 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 5 March 2015 - 11:16

Well here with UPC you certainly have 10-20 channels on one complex, they're QAM256 so the space is there. But of course NPO 1, NPO 2 and NPO 3 are all on different complexes so you'd need three tuners to watch them all after all.

TS: please consider the encryption your provider uses. If it's UPC, you can watch all "basispakket" channels FTA no problem, but any other channel can't be watched on an "open" receiver, there is no workaround for that. With Ziggo it's possible, but some work is required.

Remember that an CI+ module can at the moment only decode 1 channel so you need to been creative or watch the FTA channels.

At the moment the basic package HD is Free to View when you have a subscription for UPC (even if you have only analog TV subscription)

The basic SD package is standard Free to View and there is a good change that the basic HD will been kept Free to View as well.

Here are some groups of channels which are in one transponder/frequency group.

- NPO 1 HD, NPO 2 HD, RTL Lounge,TVE 1, Comedy Central Family

- NPO 3 HD, RTL 8 HD, 13th Street HD

- RTL 4 HD, RTL 5 HD, Film1 Sundance, FOX Sports 3 HD Ere, FOX Sports 3 HD Ere. PPV

- VH1 Classic 1, Eurosport HD, SBS 6 HD, Russia Today, Evenementenkanaal, TRT Türk

If you want to record/view NPO1HD and NPO2HD then 1 tuner is enough

If you want to record/view NPO1HD, NPO3HD and SBS6HD then you need 3 tuners.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

Re: The right DVB-C box #16 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2015 - 12:46

You don't even need to have analog TV for FTA (e.g. if you have business internet from them, like I do ;))

Re: The right DVB-C box #17 Dixon

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2015 - 18:04

Wow! Learning a lot here! Especially with the whole 3 tuner setup. I am currently on the Ziggo network but actually making the switch to the UPC network tomorrow.

The Mutant HD2400 looks great but I have a better feeling about the Xtrend ET 10000 and VU Plus Duo2 when it comes to warranty and support. Transcoding is a requirement (watching on iPad) so I guess I'll have to pick one out of these three. Difficult....

Re: The right DVB-C box #18 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 5 March 2015 - 18:25

Wow! Learning a lot here! Especially with the whole 3 tuner setup. I am currently on the Ziggo network but actually making the switch to the UPC network tomorrow.

The Mutant HD2400 looks great but I have a better feeling about the Xtrend ET 10000 and VU Plus Duo2 when it comes to warranty and support. Transcoding is a requirement (watching on iPad) so I guess I'll have to pick one out of these three. Difficult....

Mutant is a Dutch trademark and I am certain the mutant support is the best at the moment what is available in the market.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

Re: The right DVB-C box #19 Dixon

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 March 2015 - 19:11

Ok, interesting!

You guys were talking about restrictions. But with a coax cable connected to the box (doesn't matter which one of the three I've mentioned) and a connection with CCcam, there should not be a problem right? I should be able to watch all channels.

Re: The right DVB-C box #20 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 5 March 2015 - 20:44

Ok, interesting!

You guys were talking about restrictions. But with a coax cable connected to the box (doesn't matter which one of the three I've mentioned) and a connection with CCcam, there should not be a problem right? I should be able to watch all channels.

UPC is only possible with CI+ cam. You cannot use CCcam or you must have the boxkey from your original box which is very grey area.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stable, fast, transcoding, dvb-c, quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users