5 replies to this topic

#1 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2015 - 22:19

has someone experience with building an own (DIY) Energy monitor, up to 10 electric circuits?

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: 10 circuit energy monitor experience? #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2015 - 08:00

No, only six ;)

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: 10 circuit energy monitor experience? #3 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2015 - 08:36

Which basics did you use?

Re: 10 circuit energy monitor experience? #4 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2015 - 14:00

I bought this number of simple digital kWh usage meters, they're not really expensive. It's important that they have a led that flashes on each Wh that passes (comparable to the red stripe on the disk of a legacy mechanic meter). Then I glued a photo-sensitive device (later on) on the led, using sillicone and taped black tape all over it, so the photo-sensitive device only reacts when the led flashes. I connected the photo-sensitive device to a digital counter (later on) and voilá.

The photo sensitive device can be either a LDR, they have generally a good response for digital counting inputs (5V) but they tend to degenerate with time. A better solution seems to be to use a photo transistor, but they're a bit more difficult to use, their active range is a lot smaller. I can recommend an LDR model that will work without any additional resistors, opamps, etc, on a 5V active high / pull down counter input, I'd have to do some searching in the archives ;)

The digital counter can be e.g. a Velleman K8055 kit, features five digital inputs and can be read using USB. Something like Arduino, Raspberry etc. will probably work as well, as long they have a few digital inputs that are active high (5V) and are activated by pulling them down (shortcircuit).

Now every regular period read out the counters (in my case that's every minute) and you have the number of "Wh's" (actually Wm's) for that minute, add them up for an hour for real Wh's.

I monitor six groups this way. Results go into RRD for nice graphs and correct calculation of average and totals over timespans etc.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: 10 circuit energy monitor experience? #5 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2015 - 20:31

found this DIY :

http://boredomprojec...-energy-monitor

Re: 10 circuit energy monitor experience? #6 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 2 May 2015 - 14:20

More or less similar, except they're not using kWh meters but something else, probably hall effect sensors, which are less accurate.

If I where to do it from scratch, I'd go wireless with esp8266.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users