• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,003 posts

+637
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2015 - 15:26

I have upgraded my Win8.1 system to Win10

And it is a disaster:

Connecting to network drives on other Window machines is problematic

If you shut a drive down (or the machine where is resides)  while Windows is connected to it, Windows become unresponsive.  Or at least Explorer is.

The taskbar refuses to disappear at random times, and stays that way for severl hours.  Suddenly it disppears again.

Several icons on the taskbar refuse to open:  Action Center, Network Connection, Search function - which is really needed in Win10.

The Windows Title bar of applications is completely White which in some cases make them unreadeable.

etc,  etc...

After all these problems, Idecide to go back to Win8.1.  Tried to start this procedure, but the program reported that the old Windows was not anymore on the drive.  It certainly is still there.

I can only do a backup restore now.  Which is currently running.

Willy

~~Rytec Team~~
Maxytec Multibox SE OpenPli (used as mediaplayer)
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

Sat: 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E and 28.2E
*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #2 Rick Hunter

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,051 posts

+56
Good

Posted 10 August 2015 - 15:54

Funny, Theese problems are not seen by me yet.

I have problems with the fingerprint device.. (It is not working anymore since Windows 10) and the famous startmenu is back.. but I need to get used on this.. It is still not user friendly.

Plinux member We have a.. (ehmm.. morgage) house.

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #3 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,617 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2015 - 16:03

I do not agree... I updated 3NTB's and 2PC's from 7 and 8.1 and no problems (64bit Home, Pro, Corporate)...

One side effect - lower temperatures on Asus G73JH with I7 :-)

Ok - when is remote disk shutted down, it spend cca 30s to disconnect.

When dont work some icons or not opening start - wrong update - corrupted files, older drivers, missing drivers etc... then you can at firs see to systems and application logs and try repair it or try run "reinstall" again (from running Win and DVD/USB) . But i am affraid, that in this case is backup of previous system irrecoverably lost .

And better is run after upgrade Win update - there is some updates released. And clear files in temps.

(Little problem with TeamViewer and remote screen scale, but it is on TV side)

Disgusting cosmetics - calculator, limited colors for desktop and menu ... and - turning-off all stool pigeons.

Edited by ims, 10 August 2015 - 16:22.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #4 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,617 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2015 - 16:08

Funny, Theese problems are not seen by me yet.

I have problems with the fingerprint device.. (It is not working anymore since Windows 10) and the famous startmenu is back.. but I need to get used on this.. It is still not user friendly.

old ntb ? When there was all ok under 8.1, then it must work. W10 are W8.2 only. On one older ntb I had problem with 8.1 and driver (was impossible install it). I must used trick - install 8.0 + driver and then upgrade to 8.1.

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #5 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,003 posts

+637
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2015 - 16:32

I also retried refresh the installation.

The utitly reported that this is not possible because my user data are not on the same drive than Windows.

This is corrected, I moved the Users Folder to another drive (Not the SSD). Alread a long time ago, from the moment I installed Win8.1.  The Windows Update to W10 seemed to have no problem with this.

It seems to be problem for the recovery.

Willy

~~Rytec Team~~
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #6 bigfoot007

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 August 2015 - 19:34

Just wait until you try to run a VM with networking  :o

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #7 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2015 - 19:37

I upgraded two laptops to W10; one from W7PRO and one from W8.1HOME. Both upgrades went flawless.

The most annoying thing is the colour schemes; they are all made for people with very good eyes. And the highlighting of the active window (the window that has focus) has gone.

I did an extensive search, but found no good solution. I guess we'll have to wait for some tweaking programs.

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #8 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,003 posts

+637
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2015 - 22:01

Well Win8.1 is back.

Installed Win8.1 from scratch, with reformatting the SSD.

After the basic install, I restored the win8.1 backup (could not restore it from WIN10)

I am back I was a week ago.

Luckily all my data is kept on the normal HDD, which was not touched.

Willy

~~Rytec Team~~
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #9 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:16

Totally disagree

I'm using win10 enterprise for more than a week and it's the best windows ever

I did install it as a fresh OS but I did repack it using dism with my changes

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #10 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,003 posts

+637
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:15

Good for you.

For me it is a disaster.  Too many little errors.

The biggest disaster was however reverting back to Win8.1.  Win10 simply refused it.  And I could not restore the backup of Win8.1 or reinstall Win8.1 for a DVD.

Win10 seemed to have changed something to the SSD.

Not until I completely removed all partitions, created new ones and formatted them I could reinstall Win8.1 and restore the Win8.1 Backup.

Willy

~~Rytec Team~~
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #11 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2015 - 21:14

Hi,

Just my two cents, I update one of my PCs and the network was no longer working at all. WiFi doesn't detect anything!

It seems that it kept some drivers during update, the work around was to look at the driver and they are taggued as migrated, so I simply delete the device with such 'migrated' driver so Windows 10 then install its own default driver and the PC is running fine, of course disabling all the peer-to-peer options (like for Windows Update) and all the spies enabled by default in Windows 10 to track us and give us better advertising.  :lol:

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #12 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2015 - 21:22

The p2p (for local lan only) can save lot of traffic, without setting up wsus. Imagine the gain for a small company (eg 10 pc).

If I was a provider I would certainly install some win10 machines with p2p on just to reduce traffic with some peers ;)
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #13 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 12 August 2015 - 22:13

I, for one, am not 'moving' anywhere from Win7:

http://forums.mydigi...t-Understand-it

http://forums.mydigi...oft-and-Privacy

If one can be bothered...

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #14 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:01

Although I was pleasantly surprised as at first all seemed to go well, but I had a lot of systemcrashes (especially related to going to and from standby). So both my lappies are back to Win7Pro & Win8.1Home. At least the reverting went smooth and fast :)

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #15 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:24

The p2p (for local lan only) can save lot of traffic, without setting up wsus. Imagine the gain for a small company (eg 10 pc).

If I was a provider I would certainly install some win10 machines with p2p on just to reduce traffic with some peers ;)

Yes if it was only enabled on LAN but M$ enable it automatically for WAN too... so the only people that saves its bandwidth is M$ because they are using now your Internet bandwidth too to spread there patches worldwide.

Moreover small companies setup a WSUS server and they download only once the patches from the internet and then spread them internally.

Windows10 is probably a good system but as usual you will get the best out of it if your perform a clean install, with update it seems that they tries to keep too many 'old stuff'.

Install the media create tool and create a boot DVD/USB and install your PC from it without trying to upgrade. I am quite sure that you system will run better.

http://windows.micro...on-tool-install

Edited by Pr2, 13 August 2015 - 08:27.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #16 adri

• 372 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:20

I'd suggest to ALWAYS run the update, because this activates your PC for Windows 10.

After the update you can do a clean install and Windows 10 will automatically activate again.

Without doing the upgrade first, you'll have to buy a new Windows 10 license, because Windows 10 think tou are installing a new PC and will ask you for a license.

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #17 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,617 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 13 August 2015 - 22:07

Upgrade to W10, then get KEY with some utilities and then should be possible install clear W10 with this key, or no ?

I will try it next week, when I will must 2 new PC's with preinstalled 64bit Win7 degrade to Win7 32bit and then update to W10 32bit. :(

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #18 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:50

Out of curiosity: why go from 64 to 32 bit?

Because you only want 3.5GB RAM supported :)

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #19 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,617 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:06

Memory is not important ...

Used 16bit DOS db program between 2 PC with shared data... 64bit Win do not support it. And running it in  working emulation is 40x slower

Re: Windows 10 - Disaster #20 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:43

OK, was just curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users