2 replies to this topic

#1 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,726 posts

+1,741
Excellent

Posted 8 November 2015 - 22:23

Anyone worked with this platform?

And in particular the XS11-VX8 with the VIA® Nano® U2250, 2Gb memory and a 500Gb SSHD (hybrid SSD disk)?

We're looking to deploy these things are download servers, so no real CPU power needed, just a fast network and disk, and wondering if that would work fine...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Anyone with Dell DCS experience? #2 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 9 November 2015 - 09:23

Supermicro has something similar (and more recent) - 8 Atom nodes in one 2U case. Dell fits 12 in one 2U case. But why you need such a deployment? These are usually used for hosting services.

For downloading server I would use SM863 Samsung Enterprise SSD and nginx, accompanied with multiple 1Gbe ports (or a couple 10Gbe).

Re: Anyone with Dell DCS experience? #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,726 posts

+1,741
Excellent

Posted 9 November 2015 - 11:09

It is an offering from a hosting company, we're not looking into buying. ;)

I know that alternatives exist, but I haven't found any of them with decent pricing as of yet. I'm looking at small(ish) and cheap because we need the horizontal scaling, one single download server won't do (in terms of availability, performance and bandwidth). Especially difficult because ideally we don't want bandwidth caps, or if there is a cap, at least 2-5TB/month per server.

I've been looking at a CDN too, but all are pay-per-bandwidth, which is a variable cost we can't have without a reliable source of income. The only exception is Cloudflare with a fixed price, but that's still $2400 per year.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users