Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #21 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2016 - 17:11

ATSC usb tuners do exist, and I have looked for one that works with enigma2 for several years. Blackhole had a few test ATSC images at one time, but they never would show a tv picture for me. The ATSC tuner would scan and log the channels in lamedb file, but a tuner error would appear when the ATSC channels were watched. So it never worked.

Sundtek has the only ATSC enigma2 solution that I know of. This solution uses the reliable DVB-T format in enigma2 and transfers it to ATSC. This solution depends on the DVB-T code in enigma2 and not the broken ATSC code in enigma2.

Having ATSC in the code line makes the Sundtek DVB-T(ATSC) tuner load as a DVB-T, ATSC Multi-Type tuner. I understand that this is a single type tuner, so this would make the ATSC bogus. Also, the ATSC side is not connected to anything as can be seen in these screenshots.

Attached File  SundTek_ATSC.jpg   51.6KB   5 downloads

Attached File  Sundtek_ATSC_DVB-T.jpg   53.71KB   4 downloads

Attached File  Sundtek_DVB-T.jpg   57.74KB   4 downloads

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #22 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2016 - 17:14

I am sure that ATSC can really work, but without having access to such broadcast (and hardware) it is really mission impossible to find what the problem is.
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #23 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2016 - 20:00

I am certain that ATSC can be made to work also, but why have the ATSC listed in that line when it does not work now or in the foreseeable future, and when it causes problems for usb tuners that do work?

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #24 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 1 February 2016 - 19:00

Having ATSC in the code line makes the Sundtek DVB-T(ATSC) tuner load as a DVB-T, ATSC Multi-Type tuner. I understand that this is a single type tuner, so this would make the ATSC bogus. Also, the ATSC side is not connected to anything as can be seen in these screenshots.

What problem does partial ATSC enigma2 addition is causing to pseudo DVB-T stick implementation chosen by Sundtek?

I believe solution is to add complete ATSC support to enigma2 followed by proper driver respecting ATSC specification and not

piggybacking on DVB-T which was done by them. I would suggest to request Sundtek to provide a patch against enigma2 in regards of the implementation of ATSC.

So please refrain from asking openpli to remove ATSC support just because Sundtek choose to kludge the driver with DVB-T support, it is not the solution.

Plus to accomodate further they are masaging the tables so that ATSC epg is captured. It is hackish..and not useful for opensource project.

Edited by pop_eye, 1 February 2016 - 19:02.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #25 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 1 February 2016 - 19:06

ATSC scan is working if you further look into adding proper libdvbsi support.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #26 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 1 February 2016 - 19:12

I am sure that ATSC can really work, but without having access to such broadcast (and hardware) it is really mission impossible to find what the problem is. 

---> This is indeed our real issue.... here in the Netherlands we cannot test it at all... Here really a dev from aboart is required....

Edited by littlesat, 1 February 2016 - 19:12.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #27 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 1 February 2016 - 20:47

Hi!
http://forums.openpl...ng/#entry528439

We must resolv Sundtek problem somehow differently! The current solution, creates once again the problems.

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #28 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 05:42

@pop_eye
What problem does partial ATSC enigma2 addition is causing to pseudo DVB-T stick implementation chosen by Sundtek?

The problem or issue has already been described in post #21 and again in the quote of post #24. Screenshots are also posted.

@pop_eye
I believe solution is to add complete ATSC support to enigma2 followed by proper driver respecting ATSC specification and not
piggybacking on DVB-T which was done by them. I would suggest to request Sundtek to provide a patch against enigma2 in regards of the implementation of ATSC.

Would be nice if it was that easy. The ATSC market is not very big, and ATSC seems to only exists in bits and pieces in enigma2. It probably makes more sense to a developer to use a working and tested DVB-T platform.

@pop_eye
So please refrain from asking openpli to remove ATSC support just because Sundtek choose to kludge the driver with DVB-T support, it is not the solution.

How does ATSC support exist when it does not function? What would it hurt to remove another small piece since the ATSC in enigma2 is broken or incomplete?
Sundtek chose to provide us with ATSC support which is appreciated very much! This is more than anybody else has done that I know of. The methods that were used by Sundtek are and have been working quite well for me for over a year. Removing "ATSC" from that line makes sense to me because (1) it belongs to a broken or incomplete system, and (2) it causes issues in a system that works.

@pop_eye
Plus to accomodate further they are masaging the tables so that ATSC epg is captured. It is hackish..and not useful for opensource project.

What ATSC epg are you talking about? Please check your source of information.

@pop_eye
ATSC scan is working if you further look into adding proper libdvbsi support.

I have seen the scan of ATSC work in a couple of Blackhole test images, but never in OpenPLi. It would be nice to actually watch the scanned channels, but that was not the case or end result...

Simply put, I thought it might be helpful to remove something that does not work when it interferes with something that does work.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #29 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 12:38

You choose to purchase a hack solution, sorry that I don't feel the same as you do.

Sundtek should need to provide full enigma2 ATSC support if they want to make more sales in NA.

And you should be asking them to provide full support for the product you have purchased.

Or if you are happy with the solution you have received there is no reason for this topic.

My linux opensource supported ATSC stick ($20) is working just fine with enigma2 since dreambox kernel 2.6.18

and I confirm that what was added to Openpli is part of the working solution.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #30 sundtek

• 169 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 14:42

You choose to purchase a hack solution, sorry that I don't feel the same as you do.

Sundtek should need to provide full enigma2 ATSC support if they want to make more sales in NA.

And you should be asking them to provide full support for the product you have purchased.

Or if you are happy with the solution you have received there is no reason for this topic.

My linux opensource supported ATSC stick ($20) is working just fine with enigma2 since dreambox kernel 2.6.18

and I confirm that what was added to Openpli is part of the working solution.

You have no idea about Enigma2 and linux it seems. You probably don't even know what ATSC is.

ATSC is not DVB-T

We provide a workaround additionally to our standard ATSC support in order to make it work with E2 Settopboxes.

We support the latest Linux DVB Standard API back to 2.6.15 (which is 2006 by the way). You can alternatively choose legacy ATSC or the use of the ATSC->DVB-T rewriting engine.

We have ATSC customers in the US for a long time already (mostly in the b2b area), and no one ever complained about the support of our devices.

Dream never added ATSC support by the way, and we are (or to be accurate were) also in contact with them about this topic. They had the idea to add ATSC a long time ago but the market is just too small for them.

Edited by sundtek, 2 February 2016 - 14:45.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #31 sundtek

• 169 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 15:29

That said, if normal ATSC would work, our ATSC devices would also work in classical mode. Although it just does not work because it's not implemented completely in Enigma2.

Edited by sundtek, 2 February 2016 - 15:29.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #32 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 16:12

Excuses, excuses, and again excuses.

You are claiming support on you technical forum for ATSC based broadcasts using Openpli opensource software

however you fail to deliver the support using ATSC standard in enigma2 software only by limiting yourself to kludge your driver

to support the DVB-T standard. In my opinion this is not acceptable.

Why , may I ask ?  you even advertise that you are supporting Openpli.

Please read again the front page of this forum what Openpli is: "Open source set-top box software"

and for that you are dribbling with the standards so that you can sell your product and advertise as such.

Am I requesting too much ? I guess for some bottom line is more important then supporting for a good cause.

For sure your stick is highly quality bla, bla ..who cares without proper support.

If I buy a stick from you I want to see ATSC written in tuner configuration screen for enigma2.

So please provide the patch according to your level of knowledge and support.

(this was not condescending - you are a linux professional are you ?)

Edited by pop_eye, 2 February 2016 - 16:16.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #33 sundtek

• 169 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 16:30

Excuses, excuses, and again excuses.

You are claiming support on you technical forum for ATSC based broadcasts using Openpli opensource software

however you fail to deliver the support using ATSC standard in enigma2 software only by limiting yourself to kludge your driver

to support the DVB-T standard. In my opinion this is not acceptable.

Why , may I ask ?  you even advertise that you are supporting Openpli.

Please read again the front page of this forum what Openpli is: "Open source set-top box software"

and for that you are dribbling with the standards so that you can sell your product and advertise as such.

Am I requesting too much ? I guess for some bottom line is more important then supporting for a good cause.

For sure your stick is highly quality bla, bla ..who cares without proper support.

If I buy a stick from you I want to see ATSC written in tuner configuration screen for enigma2.

So please provide the patch according to your level of knowledge and support.

(this was not condescending - you are a linux professional are you ?)

Then it's time that you should fix it I'm sure you are one of those guys who also ask the car manufacturer to build the road for wherever you want to go and also blame the car manufacturer that it is his fault because he said you can drive the car.

We provide a driver + devices (and from time to time even bugfixes for systems - which is already more than any other major brand is doing) and that's it. We also have our own projects ongoing (eg. Android support) at the moment.

Some images are not going to add ATSC support any time soon however we also make our device work with it and that's the point of it. It's not our fault that some images won't add legacy support for it (eg. Dreamboxes).

Edited by sundtek, 2 February 2016 - 16:32.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #34 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 16:44

There is nothing for me to fix. For me it is working as I said...

And I am not selling ATSC sticks to NA customers either.

Just put a disclaimer and remove your advertised support for open source projects..you are luring your customers with it.

Other then that have a good day.

Edited by pop_eye, 2 February 2016 - 16:47.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #35 sundtek

• 169 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 17:05

Just put a disclaimer and remove your advertised support for open source projects..you are luring your customers with it.

You don't even own our product so I think it's better for you to be silent about that.

Go out help people to get ATSC work there are plenty of discussions out there (interestingly you did not help anyone, but here you're adding your nonsense).

If you don't like it ignore it and help people to get it work the way you want it to work.

That's the last reply to your nonsense posts.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #36 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 17:16

You don't even own our product so I think it's better for you to be silent about that.

Go out help people to get ATSC work there are plenty of discussions out there (interestingly you did not help anyone, but here you're adding your nonsense).

If you don't like it ignore it and help people to get it work the way you want it to work.

That's the last reply to your nonsense posts.

I had my share of helping others and I am just tired of reading this BS over and over again about

customers supporting by themselves. You on the other hand have a business and it is quite interesting how can you keep your

customers happy with such BS. You are copy and pasting this nonsense  and adding yourself as a leader of support :) What a joke...

Do you like what you see in the mirror ?

When a customer buys your product he is buying for a purpose. This guy the bandit bought it for vu duo2 or whatever enigma2 box.

He was told in the process that his monies  will be well spent for developing your products....is this correct ?

what is he getting in return ? The middle finger and also a nice life lesson that he should never trust an european german knave ever again.

You are diligently playing the open source game until someone is asking for support and then the all crap is vaporware.

So why should I support you and give my solution for free to everyone elses ?

Or morals dont apply anymore ?

Edited by pop_eye, 2 February 2016 - 17:19.

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #37 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 2 February 2016 - 17:35

@sundtek,

Can we "fill the gaps" and make ATSC work natively?

Please share any hints to make it happen.
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #38 sundtek

• 169 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 17:41

@sundtek,

Can we "fill the gaps" and make ATSC work natively?

Please share any hints to make it happen.

It's some bigger effort, not even sure if it's worth it.

There's already a roadmap for an updated ATSC standard

http://www.consumerr...rking/index.htm

The current ATSC standard is very limited compared with the DVB-T standard. EIT for 2 days (compared with EIT for 2 weeks in Europe)

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #39 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 17:49

Sure ..not worth it ...what else to expect...

Sundtek has better things to do.

ATSC 3.0 is still vaporware

http://atsc.org/news...where-we-stand/

Re: Enigma2 External Tuner bugfix #40 sundtek

• 169 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2016 - 22:51

We're talking about ATSC 2.0 here not about ATSC 3.0, that will be the next next step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users