7 replies to this topic

#1 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2016 - 16:26

TSO (TCP Segment Offload) use it or not?

http://www.peerwisdo...rk-performance/

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: So thoughts about TSO #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2016 - 16:39

Apart from the fact that I doubt the poor PHY's in the SoC support features like this, it is only a possible issue in case of MTU mismatches. The last time I've seen that in a LAN was when ATM was still in vogue as a LAN technology ;)

tcpdump can tell you quick enough if you have a retransmit issue on your LAN.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: So thoughts about TSO #3 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2016 - 16:52

The author also fails to mention that you must have a very very strange network if you cannot use a standard 1500 MTU at home.

On dial-up and ancient ADSL systems, there was sometimes a smaller MTU in effect (1492 comes to mind), but that would only apply to the internet traffic, not to in-home trafic.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: So thoughts about TSO #4 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2016 - 16:53

:D

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

Re: So thoughts about TSO #5 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2016 - 16:58

I am mandatory to use 1492 as I use a aDSL Bridge PPPoA/PPPoE

Re: So thoughts about TSO #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2016 - 16:59

You can also have an issue on some encapsulated PPPoE uplinks, a fiber supplier in Almere (NL) uses 1466.

Very funny if the other end of your communication has a firewall that blocks MTU discovery... Takes you ages to find why network performance sucks to that party, but not to others... :(

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: So thoughts about TSO #7 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2016 - 17:02

Thanks for pointing that one out I'll take a look.

Re: So thoughts about TSO #8 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2016 - 13:00

Yes, this is well-known issue. I've had a similar setup for years and had these issues frequently. It's not a technical problem but ignorance from so-called engineers. The Linux firewall (iptables) can be instructed to "clamp" the tcp segment size to the lower mtu, which will fix most (tcp) problems but is also quite dirty. Also it won't fix udp.

Anyway, SoC ethernet implementations don't even implement scatter/gather, let alone more advanced features like TSO or checksumming.

The SoC's that have gbps ethernet are fast enough to fill the bandwidth anyway. We did some benchmarks on de solo2 (which was the first with gbps).

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users