Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:33

You are welcome to READ the C source.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #42 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2016 - 14:34

It's guesswork, definately no documentation.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #43 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 16 April 2016 - 14:56

What a great argument when 9X% of enigma2 ins not doumented outside of the source code ...

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #44 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2016 - 16:39

Yeah let's talk quality of code of enigma :D

But this is not about code quality. It's about enigma+drivers being written based on official documentation from a.o. Broadcom, documenation none of us have access to. The screen grabber happens to work, but there is no guarantee it will work when (mis)used as framebuffer.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #45 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 16 April 2016 - 17:21

Please read you original post:

>>The memory where the actual data is stored for the picture is undocumented (NDA) and inaccessible.

Next you want to convince me that it is inaccessible ....

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #46 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:00

There is nowhere a documented guarantee that the data will be accessible at every moment in time in a certain layout. I know for instance that Intel GPU's using a technique called tiling where the layout of the framebuffer is not always lineair, it changes dynamically. So diggin into system memory may seem to work for grabbing the contents, there is no guarantee at all it will work if using as a framebuffer.

But of course everybody is free to decide where to spend time on, even though there is really no guarantee for success.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #47 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:01

I will give you a final advice (take it or leave it as I personally don't care):

There were people insisting that things heavier than air can't fly ... until 2 bike mechanics proved them wrong.

I gave the OP at least advice  how to make things fly ... as I have flown that plane already years ago  ... Now it is his decision to decide whose advice is ... better. :D

Edited by gutemine, 17 April 2016 - 11:04.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #48 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:38

The fact that proves Erik has a point is that grab more than occasionally fails the make a good screenshot, but returns a black screen, a half interleaved screenshot, or sometimes even random coloured lines through the image.

You would not have that if you would have had a documented interface, instead of just grabbing a piece of memory and hope for the best.

Your "advice" is totally besides the point, let's not start about how many people died thinking they could fly, in that analogy you're a potential murderer with your "advice"... :wacko:

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #49 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 17 April 2016 - 14:28

The ioctl to halt the Video buffer are also well known and documented ... but of course grab doesn't use them as this is not the idea when you wuickly want a screenshot without interferring.

Anyway, it is only about people saying 'this is not possible' until somebody proves them wrong.

The REAL point would be that Broadcom uses the box system memory also for the video buffer, so a clever guy would realize that probably it would not be faster to peek and pooke it than the framebuffer memory reserved for it ....

Therefore the REAL argument against would be that you then lack all the nice video hardware functionality to get things (Video Memory Manipulation) there done FAST  ... and yes THESE are unknown ... NOT the Memory address size and pixel encoding - which was the piece of Erik's statement which needed correction - as it is simply wrong and NOT the real inhibitor.

Without that you could use the Video Memory only like another framebuffer layer - which would be useless as the latest chips already have more than enough.

Edited by gutemine, 17 April 2016 - 14:31.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #50 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2016 - 15:12

As far I can see in e2 it is currently only used to fade in, sweep, move, turn the standard e2 menus's... In fact it is only anoying. I also understood vu has drivers for it but we do not use it and our e2 needs some patches, which were when I looked at them for the turn, swap, shift and sweep stuff not realy nice implemented. But of course for a kodie plugin it might still be helpfull...

For VU the OpenGL-drivers are indeed only used for menu-animation (awful, very awful indeed) and the Kodi-plugin (which has nothing to do with a sat-receiver.
No idea what more useful purposes there could be.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #51 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2016 - 17:13

Accessing the video buffer for GUI purposes is a pointless exercise, it uses a YUV color model, and isn't a simple rectangle, but arranged in tiles, with the color layers in two planes. If you were to use it, you'd have to compose images in system memory and then have the GPU translate them into the video buffer to get any decent performance, since you'll need 9 MAC operations for each pixel for the RGB-YUV conversion. And the quality will be poor since the video buffer usually also uses 4:2:2 encoding.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #52 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:56

So in theory, if you'd really want to follow this route: use the OSD layer for the frame buffer and use the video ram for an Xv-like/vdpau/vaapi implementation, for watching video's efficiently.

But you never know if it's really going to work beforehand.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #53 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 18 April 2016 - 20:23

You are really testing my temper .... this time I will NOT tell you what nonsense you wrote ... again.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #54 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2016 - 21:40

Why don't you make another timebombed proof of concept to amaze the community once more ;)

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #55 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 18 April 2016 - 21:47

I strongly recommend NOT to annoy me .

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #56 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 19 April 2016 - 00:10

Or what? :D

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #57 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 19 April 2016 - 00:43

He cannot tell you, because he will need to shoot you after.

Well, we should not fight :) , yet, well maybe after few beers or other strong spirits, i think all ideas are welcomed, even worse ideas could generate infos which could be used by the community.

So, i will be the first one which I will apologise by my "nervous" responses, and promise to behave :)

Best regards,

Marc

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #58 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:53

Besides, maybe these guys like a bit of spanking... after a few beers... :D :D :D

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #59 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:58

Hahaha, after neck....

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #60 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:17

Or what? :D

He's going to fire another DOS-attack on the website. Very mature way to resolve conflicts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users