Photo

VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LION RAMPANT

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:42

As the title says, in VLC player, is it possible to entirely switch off the voice over thingy called NAR which I think obviously means narrator or something as it keeps giving this persons voice over the sound on the channel your watching and only way I can find to switch it to English is by right clicking on the picture and choosing the english audio track rather than narrator which it seems to pick all the time but this only sets it temporary for each channel you select and then it changes back again :(

VLC is an excellent media player (one of the best in my opinion) for streaming your satellite boxes to your pc etc as I am doing, but this is a slight pain in the rear end and I would love if there was a fix to set it to english permanently.

I can remember years and years ago using VLC and there was such an option but there doesnt seem to be one nowdays, not that I can find anyway, I have been through all the settings over and over but can find any main options for it.

Does anyone know please thanks ? :unsure:

1st edition VU+DUO box. (not a clone), OpenPLi 4 (approx two year old version)

Fixed Sly Dish @ 28.2E

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:46

Select a different audio stream? I think VLC just selects the first one by default, and sometimes that can be the narrative channel.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #3 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:12

you can try something like this in vlc settings:
preferences > audio > preferred audio language: eng

(assuming the audiotrack you're interested is always identified with 'eng',
sometimes there are some other codes used 'ory', 'qaa', 'dos'...
you can use multiple codes coma separated)
True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #4 LION RAMPANT

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2016 - 15:35

you can try something like this in vlc settings:
preferences > audio > preferred audio language: eng

(assuming the audiotrack you're interested is always identified with 'eng',
sometimes there are some other codes used 'ory', 'qaa', 'dos'...
you can use multiple codes coma separated)

thanks mate, i cant see those options anywhere ? any chance of a screenshot of them maybe ? and yes its english i want and no narrator like i mentioned.

its windows 7 x64 I have on this pc and the version of VLC is the latest version for x64 if that helps any.

thanks.

p.s,

@wanwizard, I mentioned that I tried what you suggested in my first post on this thread but the problem with that option is that it just resets itself every time you go to another tv channel etc, so I need an option that disables that NAR option as its a pain in the backside, as I mentioned too, I can remember years n years ago using VLC and there was an option to select english or AC3 and save it, but so far I cant see how its done on this version, been years since I have used VLC though, so I could be easily over looking something, there are quite a lot of advanced options etc, cheers anyhow mate.

Edited by LION RAMPANT, 15 April 2016 - 15:35.

Fixed Sly Dish @ 28.2E

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #5 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2016 - 16:39

here you go:

Tools > Preferences > Audio

Attached Files

• Attached File  vlc.png   91.29KB   9 downloads

True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #6 LION RAMPANT

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2016 - 18:34

here you go:

Tools > Preferences > Audio

thanks mate, I had already typed in there ENG myself last night but to be honest I cant even remember if it worked or not, when I say worked or not I mean if the narrator still kicked in, I was half sleeping by that time as it was the early hours of the morning and I was having a few beers, lol.

So instead of having the letters in capital letters as I did like ENG I have now changed it to eng as you describe, I dont know if the caps/lowercase would make any difference ? but I have put it to eng now anyway and I shall keep an eye on it, or I should say and ear on it, lol.

Hope it works perfect, if it does your a star mate, your a star anyway for even trying to help if it doesnt work, thank you very much either way, cheers mate :D

Fixed Sly Dish @ 28.2E

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #7 LION RAMPANT

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2016 - 18:37

p.s, is there a way to thank peoples posts on this forum or somehow do something to add to their reputation ? I cant see how which is unusual.

Fixed Sly Dish @ 28.2E

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #8 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2016 - 20:19

See the green UP arrow on the right bottom of the message

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #9 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2016 - 20:21

I though that due to abuse of "vote this post up" it requires user to have 15 messages or higher to see that.
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2016 - 20:57

You need to have "senior member" status. And you need 25 approved posts to get that status.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: VLC NARRATOR AUDIO, HOW TO TURN IT OFF ? #11 LION RAMPANT

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:02

ok i see i see, thanks.

Fixed Sly Dish @ 28.2E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users