Photo

Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #81 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:10

I was just thinking about this, and I think I've changed my mind.

From an end-user point of view, they don't care about all these technical issues. They want a box that works, and they can use. Like a SKY or Tivo box.

What is stopping us from implementing the same mechanism, so when you enable "Virgin EPG" or "SKY EPG" in the EPG settings, have the box tune to that EPG transponder (for SKY we probably need something to distinguish UK/DE/IT) on startup and on standby (configurable)? With on single tuner boxes, on startup show a "please wait, reading EPG data" mvi while that happens? 

Instead of manually, using other plugins like EPG refresh, and via indirect means like "radiotimes xml's"?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #82 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,435 posts

+62
Good

Posted 27 June 2019 - 13:02

EPG refresh is just a timer setter. Pity we can't do those timers in E2.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #83 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2019 - 13:27

I was just thinking about this, and I think I've changed my mind.

From an end-user point of view, they don't care about all these technical issues. They want a box that works, and they can use. Like a SKY or Tivo box.

What is stopping us from implementing the same mechanism, so when you enable "Virgin EPG" or "SKY EPG" in the EPG settings, have the box tune to that EPG transponder (for SKY we probably need something to distinguish UK/DE/IT) on startup and on standby (configurable)? With on single tuner boxes, on startup show a "please wait, reading EPG data" mvi while that happens? 

Instead of manually, using other plugins like EPG refresh, and via indirect means like "radiotimes xml's"?

Nothing stopping you doing that if you don't mind adding 30 seconds to a reboot. But just because someone lives in the UK doesn't mean they want Sky loaded, especially now card sharing, and even card reading no longer works on that provider.

And also people who buy enigma receivers aren't your typical Sky plebb.

And, enigma saves 7 day epg.dat on shutdown. No need to force a download at boot time. Whereas Sky don't save EPG data across reboots and take forever to reboot after being disconnected from power.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #84 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2019 - 18:25

I know that, that is why I said it should be configurable, so you can decide wether you want to wait 30 seconds, or start without EPG. 

I'm not trying to do anything, just having this discussion, to see if (end)user friendlyness can be improved. The high-geek-factor of Enigma is annoying me for many years. 

I know the UK has a special position when it comes to SKYs massive market share, but you would be suprised about the percentage of Enigma users that have no clue, it is very high. You just don't see those users online, they usually have "some guy" that "deals with it"...

And not to forget there are other countries with SKY too, Enigma is a lot more in use in Germany for example, since they are forbidden by law to force people to use a provider box.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #85 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,005 posts

+638
Excellent

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:09

@Willy, the complete download on a receiver that works properly takes 23 seconds. There is also the option to set a schedule for a time when you are not zapping (04:00 for example).

I know this.  I am just reporting what I observe.

And 10 minutes (or 3 minutes) of an unresponsive receiver gets noticed.  And is annoying if it happens at the wrong moment.

Willy

~~Rytec Team~~
Maxytec Multibox SE OpenPli (used as mediaplayer)
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

Sat: 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E and 28.2E
*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #86 jenseneverest

• 65 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:27

sorry but a 23 second download is just not an issue, who cares if the box is not responsive when you are fast asleep ?

Besides I have a similar issue when i update channel lists, that takes up to 5 minutes.

As for enigma2 being "high-geek" yes i suppose it is a little, thank god it is not as boring as a sky box or the other closed source options out there.

Please do not make e2 idiot proof, leave the idiots to the sky boxes.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #87 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,005 posts

+638
Excellent

Posted 28 June 2019 - 15:43

sorry but a 23 second download is just not an issue

First: the shortest I can achieve is 3 minutes on HD2400 with 3 tuners.

Second:  It is in general no problem when you are asleep.  I only reported that there is an unresponsive receiver during the EPG gathering.  So take your precautions....

Willy

~~Rytec Team~~
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #88 LraiZer

• 101 posts

+19
Neutral

Posted 28 June 2019 - 15:52

@doglover

Did you try with ONLY carousel dvb polling enabled? I would like to compare with my Zgemma which has polling issues like your HD2400!

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #89 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,005 posts

+638
Excellent

Posted 28 June 2019 - 20:07

Yes.
No dvb polling enabled - 3 minuten
Only dvb carousel enabled: about the same time. But picture freezes now as well.

Willy

Edited by doglover, 29 June 2019 - 06:56.

~~Rytec Team~~
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #90 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 16 July 2019 - 22:17

The whole thing now builds as a single package from the "gui-plugin" branch of LraiZer's repo.

https://github.com/L...ree/gui-plugin/

.bb example file is available for this to be added to OpenPLi if the team want to do that.

https://github.com/L...ator.bb.example

ARM .package:

Attached File  enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-radiotimesemulator_1.0.0+gitr56+6eaff39-r0_cortexa15hf-neon-vfpv4.ipk   432.74KB   4 downloads

Mipsel package:

Attached File  enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-radiotimesemulator_1.0.0+gitr56+6eaff39-r0_mips32el.ipk   434.36KB   6 downloads.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #91 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 16 July 2019 - 23:01

I'll put it on the todo list. ;)

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #92 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 17 July 2019 - 18:06

Recipe added to develop.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #93 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2019 - 15:24

Just my two cents, radiotimesemulator name is not really meaningful I was wondering what this plugin does.
So looking at the comment in the opkg I find this: "Handle your EPG on enigma2 using opentv and xmltv" but not sure that end-users knows if there provider is using OpenTV or not.

So be more explicit in the comment so that people can search for exemple for Sky and find this particular plugin, otherwise many people will miss it.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #94 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,005 posts

+638
Excellent

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:26

One question:  Why is this plug-in called "Radio times EPG Emulator"  and not OpenTV EPG reader?

Willy

Just repeating my remark of post #55

Willy

~~Rytec Team~~
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #95 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:30

One question:  Why is this plug-in called "Radio times EPG Emulator"  and not OpenTV EPG reader?

Willy

Just repeating my remark of post #55

Willy

Probably due to this:

https://www.radiotim...tv/tv-listings/

But since the plugin is probably not UK specific then the current name won't means anything to others.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #96 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,005 posts

+638
Excellent

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:04

Do not misunderstand me.  The plug-in is usefull.

However I agree that the name of the plug-in could be a bit more descriptive.

It started out as a radiotimes times emulator.  But the usefullness of the plug-in is more than just an emulator.

It can read the OpenTV EPG form 28.2E and 13 E (and a few more) and produce a XMLTV file which can be imported in the receiver via EPGimport.  In the ideal world it should push the EPG directly in enigma2.  However this world is not ideal.  The plug-in can provide the EPG for Sky UK and Sky IT, which enigma2 cannot read at the moment.  It does this via a detour of reading it from the sat, put the info in a file, which is subsequently imported in enigma2.

Willy

Edited by doglover, 19 July 2019 - 10:10.

~~Rytec Team~~
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #97 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:14

J [...] be more explicit in the comment so that people can search for exemple for Sky and find this particular plugin, otherwise many people will miss it.

There is no hard coding in this plugin. Adding a comment about "Sky" would be hard coding. The plugin is for any OpenTV provider (that there are conf files for) and adding a hard coded message about "Sky" would be misleading. The plugin only shows providers on configured satellites. i.e if you only have 28.2E configured it will only show "Sky Uk OpenTV (28.2)", so if you want to know what providers are available on you setup just look in the plugin.

BTW, if you are talking about the description in the plugins download menu, as far as I know that comes from the .bb file and is nothing to do with the plugin itself.

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #98 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 25 July 2019 - 22:39

In the real world MY OpenEPG Plugin pushes the EPG data directly into enigma2 ;-)

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #99 LraiZer

• 101 posts

+19
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2019 - 00:40

In the real world MY OpenEPG Plugin pushes the EPG data directly into enigma2 ;-)

Also in the real world, there is amateur homebuild, which has built-in epg reader and reads EPG data directly in the enigma2 epgcache.cpp code, no plugin required ;-)

Re: Reading EPG data from OpenTV (28.2E and 13 E) #100 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,435 posts

+62
Good

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:01

Also in the real world, friends share for testing

:D

Edited by Abu Baniaz, 26 July 2019 - 01:01.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users