choppy xvid/divx avi videos

choppy avi video

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 r-cz

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 July 2016 - 15:49

Hi, whenever I play an .avi video containing xvid od divx codec on my ET7000, playback is choppy. I've tried several versions of OpenPli, also set video mode from 1080p to 1080i, also 50Hz, 60Hz, multi but it has no effect. It's the same for any .avi video and it doesn't matter if its framerate is 23.976fps or 25fps or the resolution is below 480p or over. No problems with mkv videos or .mp4 at all, those play smooth as silk. Even my old dumb NOKIA cell phone plays those avi files smoothly, not mentioning a PC so I doubt those files are corrupted or somehow not compatible with usual video players.

The playback is watchable but it's quite irritating.

I'm currently on OpenPli openpli-4.0-beta-et7x00-20160616_usb

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #2 ROP

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 July 2016 - 17:30

Hi, I confirm the same issue on my ET7500. I've heard that OpenATV team has solved the problem but I prefer OpenPli so I'm still waiting if this will be fixed here soon or not. Strangely I've found few avis which play just fine but as you mentioned, approx 95% of them plays not fluently at all. I've given up on avi files long time ago and have been using matroska files instead but sometimes you have no option so you may feel like having an epileptic seizure soon while watching such avi file.

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #3 mx3L

• 616 posts

+79
Good

Posted 2 July 2016 - 17:41

Hello, can you try latest MastaG image? There is used @christophecvr multibox dvbmediasink which treats every xvid/divx as mpeg4-part2 and probably this is the fix which is necessary.

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #4 r-cz

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 July 2016 - 18:59

Hello, can you try latest MastaG image? There is used @christophecvr multibox dvbmediasink which treats every xvid/divx as mpeg4-part2 and probably this is the fix which is necessary.

Hello, I've only found an imige from 11 December 2015 - 12:06, is this the one I should try? Can't find any other.

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #5 mx3L

• 616 posts

+79
Good

Posted 2 July 2016 - 19:04

http://forums.openpl...d-on-openpli-4/, bottom of initial post is link for images.

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #6 r-cz

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 July 2016 - 20:58

http://forums.openpl...d-on-openpli-4/, bottom of initial post is link for images.

Thanks, I will definitely try it

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #7 r-cz

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 July 2016 - 11:34

So, good news, this image plays avi videos just fine. But with one little problem, some videos have quiet sound comparing to others. I thought it's the audio codec but it's not. Some audio tracks in MP3 or AC3 format plays normaly, others play quiet. But videos now play fluently, which is excelent!

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #8 mx3L

• 616 posts

+79
Good

Posted 4 July 2016 - 19:51

Thanks for feedback, looks like mpeg4-part2 patch probably did it.

Did it work normally in original OpenPli, which version?

Did you test these videos in VLC? Maybe they're just recorded that way.

Otherwise we are not modifying AC3/MP3 streams in any way, we are just passing them to driver, so it can do HW decoding. So then, it looks like driver issue, where we cannot do anything, since it's closed source.

Edited by mx3L, 4 July 2016 - 19:52.

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #9 r-cz

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 July 2016 - 22:02

Videos play with almost exact audio level in VLC (on a Windows PC and an Andriod tablet) but not on OpenPli images. I can't tell if this issue is only on MastaG's images or on OpenPli in general. I haven't noticed the difference on a very old OpenPli image, probably 10 months old. But I don't have that old image anymore so I can't flash it back to tell the difference between an old OpenPli image, the latest OpenPli image and MastaG's image. But I'm going to compare the latest OpenPli and MastaG at least. (But isn't MastaG's image based on some of the latest OpenPli images?)

I believe that the main issue is that newer OpenPli images have much stronger audio level output on DVB channels (this applies to mpeg audio, ac3 audio and aac audio too) than previous versions of OpenPli. So maybe this difference is caused by fact, that some video files are decoded using mpeg4-part2 and this produces normal sound but other video playback uses built-in (original) video decoding components which produces the same audio level as DVB decoding (which means much louder that before). I'm going to compare the latest OpenPli with Masta's image and share my findings.

Maybe this can be solved easily if it is possible to adjust somehow (internaly) the audio level decoding of new OpenPli images (and I don't mean VOL+/- buttons on the remote control).

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #10 mx3L

• 616 posts

+79
Good

Posted 5 July 2016 - 22:36

But isn't MastaG's image based on some of the latest OpenPli images?

Yes it is.

I believe that the main issue is that newer OpenPli images have much stronger audio level output on DVB channels (this applies to mpeg audio, ac3 audio and aac audio too) than previous versions of OpenPli. So maybe this difference is caused by fact, that some video files are decoded using mpeg4-part2 and this produces normal sound but other video playback uses built-in (original) video decoding components which produces the same audio level as DVB decoding (which means much louder that before).

1. Xtrend is updating their bsp, so there were openpli images with different drivers, which could explain changed audio level output

2 .You're mixing video decoding with audio decoding

Maybe this can be solved easily if it is possible to adjust somehow (internaly) the audio level decoding of new OpenPli images (and I don't mean VOL+/- buttons on the remote control).

As posted above it looks like its driver related, something which cannot be fixed by OpenPli but only by manufacturer of your box - Xtrend.

Re: choppy xvid/divx avi videos #11 r-cz

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 July 2016 - 22:59

"2 .You're mixing video decoding with audio decoding"
Sorry, I did not write it properly, I just wanted to say that strangely some avis with ac3 plays quiet and others with the same audio codec plays loud. This is where I get the feeling that mpeg4-part2 might caused the quiet sound. Since you wrote that ac3 is passed through untouched I understand it must be something else.

Thank you for making that higher volume issue clear, so it's manufacturer's driver causing it, not OpenPli. Damn it. I'll have to switch from using Xtrend's volume control to TV volume control then. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users