Hide VBI

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

Re: Hide VBI #21 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:11

And is anyone really going to want VBI on some channels but not others?

Well, that's not the way it is.
First of all: such a line should never be visible at all. If it is, it's a flaw of the contents provider.
Secondly; it's obvious that hiding the line is actually deleting a line from the picture contents. Why would you want to do that, if there's no reason for it?

@Birdman: as your TV is set to 'overscan', you'll never see this line anyway :)

Re: Hide VBI #22 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:20

Do not use RCSC but normal fallback tuner....Then it works.... To set a flag is possible that way...

I can only think about to let you add something in the url... somehow... and parse.... Just like I did with recordings/mkvs...

But now you changed it to not showing hide VBI on streams.

Re: Hide VBI #23 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:22

Yep indeed... good notice...

For streams a flag cannot be stored... So the feature can't work (without currently an ugly work-a-round). Remote stream converter should also parse that flag and somehow make it available on the client box... That is currently not made (the same for 3D flags etc...)

And with remote stream converter we cannot get to that flag... as lamedb is not parsed in that case... 

Why not use fallbacktuner instead?

Edited by littlesat, 10 August 2016 - 08:24.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Hide VBI #24 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2016 - 14:05

I use both: fallback & RCSC both have their (dis)advantages.

Re: Hide VBI #25 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2016 - 17:24

I would call it "blank top line" and then add to the help text something like "some services broadcast non-picture data in the first line, this function blanks that line". I would not mention VBI because most users don't know what VBI is and also because it's only very limited applicable. In the first place only single line of VBI is shown (even though in a full analog picture, there exists multiple, including some lines for teletext, pdc and vps). In the second place, that ugly first line often is no VBI at all, but some metadata the camera inserts, apparently time codes etc. Just focus on what the user experiences, he sees an ugly line of non-picture data and he wants to blank it. Hiding isn't really the appropriate word either, because it's not gone, it just blanked, you'll get a black line in exchange.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Hide VBI #26 birdman

• 25 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 10 August 2016 - 18:18

First of all: such a line should never be visible at all. If it is, it's a flaw of the contents provider.

Secondly; it's obvious that hiding the line is actually deleting a line from the picture contents. Why would you want to do that, if there's no reason for it?

@Birdman: as your TV is set to 'overscan', you'll never see this line anyway :)

You'd be surprised. I have seen something at top-left (very occasionally).

It's surprisingly annoying (it makes me try to see a pattern in it, and hence miss the real picture...).

Re: Hide VBI #27 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2016 - 18:24

No need anymore: click on 'hide VBI':)

Re: Hide VBI #28 mrvica

• 1,224 posts

+81
Good

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:14

what is VBI?
https://en.wikipedia...anking_interval
WSS (Wide Screen Signaling) could be seen there as well, on PAL TV in lines 23 ans 623 (though wiki says only on line 23)
https://en.wikipedia...creen_signaling

Re: Hide VBI #29 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:32

WSS is indeed a better name for them ;)

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Hide VBI #30 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,073 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2016 - 15:30

Hi,

I just test this function because I received channel with those 'blank lines' and I agree with Erik to change this parameter name to something that is more explicit for end-user. Using VBI or WSS will have the same effect end-user won't understand what this parameter is for.

Here is my feedback on service where Hide VBI is enabled:

- we still saw the 'blank lines' when we enable the Picture-In-Picture on the channel in the small screen the 'blank lines' are still displayed

- same for the Picture-in-Graphic windows (for exemple when pressing menu).

- when the second info bar is displayed the 'blank lines' are displayed in the background.

Question:

What is the impact to have this parameter a global one?

I guess that nobody want to see those lines so having it global make it more sense than having to define it per services. But I agree that there are, in my case, only a few channels that have this problem.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Hide VBI #31 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2016 - 16:06

Question:

I guess that nobody want to see those lines so having it global make it more sense than having to define it per services. But I agree that there are, in my case, only a few channels that have this problem.

In fact that would mean introducing new video formats: '1920 x 1079', '1280 X 719' etc.; why would you want to do that, as the problem is only on a few services?

Edited by Rob van der Does, 11 August 2016 - 16:07.

Re: Hide VBI #32 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2016 - 18:49

- we still saw the 'blank lines' when we enable the Picture-In-Picture on the channel in the small screen the 'blank lines' are still displayed

-> Yes indeed...they are not blanked with PIG This is also not an easy patch as the lines are very small here and you could not get it really right so you need to blank a bigger area as expected...

- same for the Picture-in-Graphic windows (for exemple when pressing menu).

-> The same as with PIG

- when the second info bar is displayed the 'blank lines' are displayed in the background.

-> Should be skin related... Here they are blanked...

-> It will blank the left upper area if the picture on all channels, which is not what you should want....

Edited by littlesat, 11 August 2016 - 18:52.

Re: Hide VBI #33 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2016 - 19:52

->

You were right... I forgot to push a commit - therefor just done... even when the font changed resolution after an e2 restart it went wong....

Re: Hide VBI #34 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,073 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2016 - 19:59

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback the skin is:  PLi-FullHD

-> It will blank the left upper area if the picture on all channels, which is not what you should want....

--> I try to enable it also on a channel without any blank line problem and I really see no difference according to me this doesn't harm if it is enabled globally.

Then again perhaps another parameter:  VBI line suppression   [off | on | per service]  ;-)

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Hide VBI #35 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2016 - 20:55

It makes totally no sense to set it permanently ON.... it only makes sense to turn this ON on channels that show ugly lines on the left top...

And you should notice the small black box on the left top.... 

Edited by littlesat, 11 August 2016 - 20:57.

Re: Hide VBI #36 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:48

@littlesat why HideVBILine screen size is only 2/3 of the screen width?
A user reports about the channels where information is the all screen width.

Attached File  screenshot_2016-08-12_14-24-13.jpg   61.52KB   4 downloads

I think that would be better to change the size to the all screen width.

Re: Hide VBI #37 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:50

I agree with that. And sometimes the 2/3 is visual as such. When a full width line would be used, this would not be the case.

Re: Hide VBI #38 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,559 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:12

Yup, noticed that as well (now for example on 28.2, Movies4men, Movies4men+1, Sony Movies, Sony Movies+1).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Hide VBI #39 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:30

When there are more channels that use the full line for this ugly stuff... I will blank the full line ;).... It even makes the code "partly" less complicated...

Agree???

initially I tried only blank the part that was really required...

Edited by littlesat, 12 August 2016 - 12:31.

Re: Hide VBI #40 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,559 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2016 - 13:21

The channels I mentioned don't use the full line, but if "hide VBI" is activated, about 6cm of white dashed line is (on my 50") still visible.

Movies4men is FTA I think, so you should be able to check that yourself, they broadcast a lot of older material that has this problem.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users