Photo

Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ?

Debian FreeBSD mipsel

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2016 - 13:33

Hi all.

Since Dream multimedia isn't active anymore with OE1.6 & OE2.0 devices, i was wondering what fun experiments to do with my DM8000.

OpenPLi is the only enigma2 image that still offers updates (correct me if i'm wrong).

I see on distrowatch.com that Debian and FreeBSD offers mipsel versions.

Is their a way to install Debian or FreeBSD on the DM8000?

I ask this becasue the default flashing way of DM8000 uses enigma2 images with *.nfi extension.

Would be nice if their is a enigma2 .nfi image who creates sort of bios, so that the DM8000 can boot from DVD drive to install debian or FreeBSD.

Anyone experiences with this?

I know the DM8000 is just 450MHz dualcore. But it's just that i want to do other things with the DM8000. (I cannot use sat dish anymore because of threes in lign of sight, and only Ziggo FTC (unencrypted) channels or Digitenne unencrypted channels is just...boring. So how about a DM8000 office suit (libreoffice) with nas and vlc.

Edited by Jeroensky, 13 September 2016 - 13:34.

Dreambox Dm8000 with all hardware addons donated to OpenPli. No interests anymore in policy of CanalDigitaal / M7 group and now-a-days channel encryption (like CI+ / HD+).

Good luck Enigma2 / OpenPli, it was fun with Sky Movies and so on, collected a nice collection of movies. Now back to basic boring lineair TV with KPN iTV (VDSL2 pair bonding 219 / 63 Mbps).

The VDSL pair bonding is excellent for... torrents to NAS in higher quality then HDTV (Like Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-Master-Audio soundquality ) :D

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #2 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2016 - 13:57

Debian mipsel installation info. (they talk about ISO's, not nfi enigma2 image. Is MIPS Malta (32 bit) compatible with DM8000 broadcom soc?)

FreeBSD mips support info . ( don't see mipsel, only mips 32bit is closest to DM8000 broadcom soc)

Ik denk dat MIPS 4Kc (malta) meest overeenkomt met DM8000.

Edited by Jeroensky, 13 September 2016 - 14:01.

Dreambox Dm8000 with all hardware addons donated to OpenPli. No interests anymore in policy of CanalDigitaal / M7 group and now-a-days channel encryption (like CI+ / HD+).

Good luck Enigma2 / OpenPli, it was fun with Sky Movies and so on, collected a nice collection of movies. Now back to basic boring lineair TV with KPN iTV (VDSL2 pair bonding 219 / 63 Mbps).

The VDSL pair bonding is excellent for... torrents to NAS in higher quality then HDTV (Like Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-Master-Audio soundquality ) :D

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #3 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 September 2016 - 18:48

Barry Alllen can install nicely Debian Wheezy on an USB stick for the dm8000 - but it doesn't support PLi Images in Flash :D

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #4 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2016 - 20:21

Thanks for feedback gutenmine.

So then i choose the outdated dreambox-image-dm8000-20160616.nfi And install Barry Allen on it.

I'm going to search for the original source of uptodate barry allen ipk file.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #5 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2016 - 20:41

I found :

enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_5.0.35-patched-by-Tunisia-sat-mfaraj_mipsel.ipk here.

But i want to know if it's the most uptodate version, and where is the source site to see what recent version their is of Barry Allen enigma2 plugin extension. This because i also read that the newest Barry Allen versions do support OpenPli and variants.

Edited by Jeroensky, 13 September 2016 - 20:45.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #6 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2016 - 21:38

I found enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_11.3_all.ipk . Is that the latest version for oe2.0? I read that BA 12 is for oe2.2 only?

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #7 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:28

You can take the OpenPLi repo and use that to build a full desktop image, e.g. using xfce. You can then use the box to browse the web with Firefox or edit your documents with OpenOffice :)

It would boil down to adding meta-xfce, changing the DISTRO variable, and adding "x11" to the system. Then it's just build and wait...

If you display a transparent window (or background), you can even run E2 on top of that and still watch TV.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #8 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 14 September 2016 - 18:02

Barry Allen has a kit and support thread in OoZooN's board, but the thread is closed because the development of BA for OE 2.0 is stopped.

But there you find a fully working BA 11.93 Kit. BAXII (BA 12.0) is the DreamOS only Version for the new Dreamboxes dm7080/820/520 and has also a fully working Debian installation and boot option and is continuously developed and supported - it can even boot Open* Images nicely despite that they are not supported.

If you prefer patched stuff for clones ... not my business.

The question was if and how to install a normal distribution on a Dreambox. If you look at the ba.sh shellscript you can see how this works with the normal standard debian bootstrap script for a network install. You can easily do this also standalone, and emanuel I think even offers such a Plugin in iHAD Board.

BA just has the added value to execute it and allow to boot it from the stick alternatively to the Flash image or enter it in a chroot with ba.sh chroot imagename.

But as PLi is not supporting Multiboot and gutemine doesn't support PLi anymore you are on your own.

gutemine

Edited by gutemine, 14 September 2016 - 18:06.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #9 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2016 - 17:18

Thanks gutemine.

i did register succesfully on Oozoon board, but the activation email isn'tsend yet. So i cannot download BA 11.93.

I'll try if i ever get a activation email (yes the email is correct)

MiLo. Question: Is their a howto to get a working desktop image (*.nfi) from openpli repository? Is Cinnamon supported instead of xcfe ? (I understand the low cpu power of Dm8k). But it's indead something to play with. Debian as main os and enigma app on top of it.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #10 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:36

Whether I can use this version also with my DM7020 HD? Then I need to first install the DreamOS? then BA and then PLi to flash? If Yes, then it is worth a try!

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #11 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:48

BA is unrelated to the distro running on the box.

And no, I don't have any prebuilt stuff.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #12 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:20

Whether I can use this version also with my DM7020 HD? Then I need to first install the DreamOS? then BA and then PLi to flash? If Yes, then it is worth a try!

I did a try with latest oe2.0 (for dm8000) and latest barry allen 11.93 for oe2.0

After plugin/extension install of ba i get message that two packages are installed, but didn't get any  (after reboot) of ba, no plugin in list and no other bootscreen. So reflashed it back to openpli.

Would be nice if OpenPli can make prebuild images for desktop usage (debian) of enigma2 stb's.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #13 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 16 September 2016 - 15:02

Please READ the BA documentation, if you didn't have any possible Boot device like an USB stick attached during (!) installation this is exactly the correct behaviour and the installation log from telnet event tells you that it didn't find a suitable BA device.

My Debian (which is Jessie) on my dm7080 needs almost 6GB, so there is NO way to put it in Flash which means it is totally useless and unrealistic to ask for an prebuilt flashable image = nfi.

And hopefully your 8k is an orignal one, because if it is a clone the behaviour you experienced is also correct.

Edited by gutemine, 16 September 2016 - 15:07.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #14 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2016 - 20:29

htpc@Desktop:~$ ssh root@192.168.1.207
root@192.168.1.207's password: 
root@dm8000:~# opkg install /var/volatile/tmp/enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_11.93_all.ipk
Installing enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen (11.93) to root...
=================================================================
Installing Barry Allen
Barry Allen stops automount, reboot after installation to get it back
Barry Allen stops udev, reboot after installation to get it back
Barry Allen will be on device /dev/sdf1 !
Erasing Barry Allen device ...
Making empty ext4 Filesystem ...
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen.
Barry Allen feels home at /dev/sdf1
Barry Allen installation or upgrade is now finished !
If this is a new installation, then please reboot NOW
to check if Barry Allen Plugin shows up in the Plugin List !
root@dm8000:~# reboot

It's working on latest OE2.0 from dreamboxupdate.com

Thanks to the attached manual.Attached File  BarryAllen_6.0.6-en.pdf   2.76MB   20 downloads

Great work Gutemine this song is for you !  :lol:

Edited by Jeroensky, 16 September 2016 - 20:32.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #15 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2016 - 21:14

Now about Debian.

I see in BA documentation:

Wizard for Debian:
Command only via Telnet: ba.sh extract_debinan <imagename>

So is it like:

htpc@Desktop:~$ ssh root@192.168.1.207
root@192.168.1.207's password: 
root@dm8000:~# ba.sh extract_debinan <Debian>

Or do i have to change

ba.sh extract_debinan <Debian>

to

ba.sh extract_debinan </media/ba/debian-8.5.0-mipsel-netinst.iso>

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #16 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2016 - 21:29

OpenPli is (unfortunately) not supported in BarryAllen. So you need for example the original DMM experimental image (more uptodate then default / stable DMM image) dreambox-image-dm7020hd-20160701.nfi

I see that your DM7020 HD is also oe2.0 (like my DM8000) then you can use the attached BA 11.93 ipk (it's not for OE1.6 and OE2.2 !!)Attached File  enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_11.93_all.ipk   2.07MB   13 downloads

Be sure to read the Barry Allen documentation.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #17 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 16 September 2016 - 22:49

First this is NOT the latest Documentation

Second PLi is NOT supporting Multiboot, and gutemine is NOT supporting PLi, so they will NOT enjoy when you post here these things.

Third BA for OE 2.0 has a kit and support thread in OoZooN's board which is now closed because there is no support or new kit anymore, despite that it is still fully working and you can even unpack and boot PLi Images on the BA device, but NOT have them in Flash..

Fourth READ the documentation which clearly says that you specify in telnet ba.sh extract IMAGENAME and not any imagepath.

Last gutemine doesn't need ANY songs!

PS: It is Debian NOT Debina, Debinan, etc ... and NO support means NO support. If you WANT support buy a recent DreamOS Dreambox or live without it.

Edited by gutemine, 16 September 2016 - 22:53.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #18 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:00

Flash, this is good song, and thanks for the explanations. Gutemine, what is the latest version of the documentation, what do you suggest? It would be good to hear from the Master, not to read the hundreds of wrong versions. Obviously, I'm going to take this a try (at the moment, unfortunately, I do not have the time).

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #19 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:51

I'm sorry, I forgot that you can only read the latest englisch BA documentation which really is 6.0.6, because only the German one was updated until 7.8

But for the BA Debian part this hardly makes a difference.

Anway, in OoZooN's board there is also a documentation section with a BA thread where these guides are ppsted, so there is no need to ask.

And it is not about good or bad songs ...

Have fun with Debian on your Dreambox and as I already explained, if you want to see how it is done check the shellscript or run it with -x so that you see the debug output.

Edited by gutemine, 17 September 2016 - 07:53.

Re: Install Debian or FreeBSD mipsel os on DM8000 ? #20 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:32

Thanks for explanation and patience Gutemine (and Pli team for tolerating this treat).

So my solution for my OE2.0 device(Dm8000) is:

DMM OE2.0 experimental image in flash, so a basic image from manufacturer and with Barry Allen added.

The with help of Barry Allen OpenPli on usb drive and Debian mips.

Great combination.

Edited by Jeroensky, 17 September 2016 - 09:33.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users