• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,962 posts

+334
Excellent

Posted 2 November 2016 - 08:56

Who wants to have this opportunity, replace the file /etc/init.d/umountfs, right 755

My patch is not accepted:

https://github.com/O...8b6d9fff784cc34

I think this is wrong, because:

1)

Heads in the natural / right state, according to the authors of hard drives and writers systems should calmly, electrically, when you turn off the system, to park, stop and disconnect. That is, when you turn off the system hard drive receives a command to stop and park the heads. This occurs in the default, the soft mode, calmly and correctly to the hard drive. If power is suddenly lost, then the modern drives have a backup power system. That is promoted spindle switches into generator mode and generates an electric charge is applied to the head for their parking, and stops the spindle inertia. But this - freelance parking, that is abnormal, it is a rigid disc and therefore more traumatic. That is one thing head quietly taken aside, another thing to dramatically impact that is heard. Hence the conclusion. Emergency parking, more rigid (judging by the sound), and therefore mechanically more traumatic for zhёskogo disk.

If in the form of associations, then, every time you drinketh tea, you easily put a glass on the table and it is natural for the glass ... but if every time you throw it on the table will, sooner or later, mechanically, you get porcelain chips ...

2)When use docking stations HDD, e.g. http://www.raidsonic...ng/index_en.php

HDD not sleep after power off.

This HDD will always running.

It must transferred into sleep mode.

Who agrees with me?

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: Feature - HDD goto sleep before shutdown/reboot #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 2 November 2016 - 17:43

Current operating systems don't spin down harddisks (for the sake of powering off). Harddisks are designed to be shut down by removing the power.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Feature - HDD goto sleep before shutdown/reboot #3 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,962 posts

+334
Excellent

Posted 2 November 2016 - 19:31

After power off my Windows and Linux harddisk do not publish any clicks, they just quietly stop.

Why can not we do the same?

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: Feature - HDD goto sleep before shutdown/reboot #4 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 5 November 2016 - 12:43

I don't understand. Your STB runs the same Linux kernel as your desktop...

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Feature - HDD goto sleep before shutdown/reboot #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 5 November 2016 - 14:45

Never heard any harddisk clicks when switching of an STB. Under which circumstances do you hear it? Which box and which disk?

Some older disks have incompatibilities when running in AHCI mode, causing these clicks on shutdown. Hitachi disks were famous for it.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Feature - HDD goto sleep before shutdown/reboot #6 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 November 2016 - 17:09

I remember the "park" command from the days of MFM and RLL harddisks, but the IDE drives have all been auto-parking as far as I can remember. So unless your disk is 20+ years old, it won't need explicit parking.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Feature - HDD goto sleep before shutdown/reboot #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 5 November 2016 - 17:12

Afaik it is not a problem, it's just an irritating click...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Feature - HDD goto sleep before shutdown/reboot #8 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 9 November 2016 - 17:41

Do you really think Windows or Linux will go parking all harddisks before a shutdown?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users