Xtrend ET 10000 as "router"

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gregoire

• 81 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 January 2017 - 20:18

Hello,

in the room I have one cable which provide internet, I have ordered a television and I was wondering if I could use the second rj45 connector of the Xtrend ET10000 to provide internet for the television ?

Thank you very much !

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,304 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2017 - 21:13

Techically, probably yeah. After all, it's a linux machine.

The question is if you want to do this, as the interfaces aren't the fasted, high troughput may put a strain on the boxes primary functions, and a simple router costs near to nothing these days.

Apart from that, it would mean you connect your TV and box directly to the internet without any security, which is a disaster waiting to happen!

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #3 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 11 January 2017 - 19:13

I've tried this. You'd have to enable the bridge device in the kernel and that will break your kernel signature and the drivers will no longer load. So theoretically: yes, in practise: no.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #4 mocho

• 42 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 January 2017 - 22:10

Not possible (in practice). Bridge support is not enabled in kernel. Do not understand why?!?!?!??!

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,304 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:00

You need a bridge device to enable IP forwarding? Making your STB a bridge is imho a bit pointless, in that case it's better to buy a 10 quid switch...

Of course, if you want to make it an "ISP style router", you need something like iptables as well, as you need to have masquerading available to NAT your internal network to your public IP. And iptables isn't available too.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #6 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 January 2017 - 19:41

From what TS writes I assume he wants the same subnet without routing on both interfaces. And that implies a bridge. Which indeed is not in the kernel. And cannot be enabled as well due to kernel signature for the drivers.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,304 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 12 January 2017 - 21:23

That can only work if the TS:

- either has a router that runs DHCP and is able to provide both the STB and the other device(s) with an IP (in which case this is a non-issue)

- or his provider provides the DHCP service with multiple IP's (in which case any cheap switch will bridge a lot better)

So I don't see the use-case for wanting to bridge on the STB.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #8 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:50

I do see a use case, which I think you missed. Connect one interface to your local infrastructure (switch, router etc.) and use the other interface to connect yet another device to the local infrastructure. That way both the et10000 and the "other" device are connected. Saves one from installing another UTP cable or buying another switch. That is what I intented it for, anyway. Layer 2 connectivity.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 13 January 2017 - 11:50.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #9 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 13 January 2017 - 14:31

I've tried this. You'd have to enable the bridge device in the kernel and that will break your kernel signature and the drivers will no longer load. So theoretically: yes, in practise: no.

To elaborate on that: You CAN put a kernel on the box that supports bridging. You will no longer be able to watch TV on it (or do anything else that requires audio/video output) though.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,304 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 13 January 2017 - 14:45

I do see a use case, which I think you missed. Connect one interface to your local infrastructure (switch, router etc.) and use the other interface to connect yet another device to the local infrastructure. That way both the et10000 and the "other" device are connected. Saves one from installing another UTP cable or buying another switch. That is what I intented it for, anyway. Layer 2 connectivity.

I get that, but for me that is no use-case, as it is easier to connect that "another device" directly to your local infrastructure.

Even if you need to split the cable between the STB and the local infrastructure because you can't get an additional cable in. It would restrict you to 100Mbps, but that is plenty for the STB, and bridging wouldn't give you more.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #11 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 January 2017 - 16:00

I had a practical use, where the receiver with two nic's was in the garden shed, I wished to add another device and didn't want to add either another cable underneath the garden (which is really not simple) nor want to add an energy wasting switch just for that. It's a niche case, but existing ;)

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #12 gregoire

• 81 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 January 2017 - 20:45

Nice thread : thanks for all infos, I put one switch before the XT 10000 and the television !!!

Thank you very much !!!

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #13 Satpal

• 299 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 14 January 2017 - 21:19

Just one additional question as the topic of the 2 LAN connections is still bugging me: the gigabit connection is marked V-LAN. In German forums I have seen the question what the meaning of this was. Either there was no real answer or the explanation came up that it had something to do with VDSL (faster DSL) to be used with Gbit-capable V-Lan compared to the older slower ADSL that should rather be used with the 100 Mbit connection. I doubt that's the case, though.

But is there a possiblity that the indication VLAN actually stands for what it supposedly should stand for: Virtual Local Area Network?

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,304 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 14 January 2017 - 21:31

There are providers that deliver IPTV via a second interface on the modem, and/or in a separate VLAN on the internal network.

The idea for the second interface was that you could use that to connect to this separate port, so you could use the box for IPTV providers. This has proven to work, but the main challenge is dat almost every provider uses his own system of delivering IPTV, and several of them also use additional security measures, so software to deal with these providers has never been developed.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #15 mocho

• 42 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 January 2017 - 22:54

The use case would be what Erik Slagter pointed and and I think thats a nice use for something that we have and not have to spend another 15€ or 20€ + the electricity bill.

I just do not understand why enabling bridge suport in kernel would not permit Watch Tv again? because of the drivers signature wich depends on manufacturers?

Are not kernels built by openpli?

regards

Edited by mocho, 15 January 2017 - 22:55.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #16 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 15 January 2017 - 23:13

Yes, kernels are build by OpenPli. But manufacturer delivers the drivers for the dvb hardware. You cannot change everything in the kernel config. E.g. you can turn off whole dvb sub system in the config. Afterwards you cannot load dvb drivers anymore.
Ok that sound logic but also other little changes in the kernel config can prevent loading the manufacturer drivers. And it seems bridging support is one of them.
@Erik did you test it?

Edited by betacentauri, 15 January 2017 - 23:13.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #17 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2017 - 19:10

Yes, with an et8500 I tried to add bridging and it alters the kernel signature. Which is not so strange if you think of it, it adds fields to the device config structs.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #18 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2017 - 19:13

But is there a possiblity that the indication VLAN actually stands for what it supposedly should stand for: Virtual Local Area Network?

Certainly not. The name is not more than a slip of the marketing department which apparently really didn't know what a vlan is. To add to it, the Linux kernel can push a vlan layer on every ethernet interface, not just the one labelled that way and really not only the xtrends'.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #19 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,304 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2017 - 23:06

It is called "VLAN" because those IPTV providers use the term "VLAN" in the modems/routers.

Which has nothing to do with the LAN side of things, but the fact that the WAN side as two VLAN's on it, one public going to internet, and one private going to their IPTV service. And sometimes even a third one if it is a triple-play provider, to transport their VoIP.

It has indeed nothing to do with the "network definition" of the acronym VLAN.

Re: Xtrend ET 10000 as "router" #20 Satpal

• 299 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:37

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I'm still wondering about the performance of the "VLAN"-port. Even as it's working stable now I'm still annoyed every time I transfer channel settings from or to the box. After every bouquet there is a big pause which makes the process even slower than I would imagine a 10 Mbit LAN would work. As I never found any other job like e.g. transferring data from the internal hdd to another box to be extremely slow could there be a special problem with FTP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users