Photo

Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JasonM8

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:56

I am interested in programming plugins for enigma 2 and I would appreciate if someone can help me get started, some links would be great.

I also have some specific questions, what is the preferred way of getting gcc on the box? And since I use windows I probably can't cross compile? So unless there are significant benefits to cross compiling I would opt to compiling on the box instead of doing it in linux VM.

Edited by JasonM8, 27 March 2017 - 08:57.

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #2 mfaraj57

• 1,605 posts

+286
Excellent

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:04

The best way to search for the simple plugins and to see how they work and and try to imitate them and a lot you will by googling

to start with you have to learn basic python and if know other program language will be very helpful

and next how to create enigma screens.

many plugins contain python part enigma part and good routine to separate pure python code in separate files from enigma files and enigma importing statement,may difficult to understand this part now but to know you can debug python files in windows python and then move to the box

no simple way to debug codes other than box,for me because i hate to set with laptop in front of tv i use frequently pc open webif(and is fantastic for this job) to navigate by webif remote to menu,plugin and take action then with aid of pc ftp program you can edit the box code(i like WinSCP) which open the plugin py files in windows python  idle

this my way learned myself after few years for working with plugins

some links  windows python https://www.python.o...se/python-2713/ better this version because version 3.xxx not used enigma2 boxes

http://www.espend.de...in-tutorial.pdf

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #3 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 27 March 2017 - 17:43

To compile on the box, you'd have to cross-compile the compiler first.

Installing Linux and the build environment takes about 15 minutes. And if you own a mobile phone, smarttv or tablet, chances are that you're already familiar with using a Linux system...
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 27 March 2017 - 19:00

Someone created and posted a ready-to-go Virtual Machine you can run in Virtual Box.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #5 JasonM8

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 March 2017 - 20:44

I am familiar with linux and I even have it installed along side windows, but since I use windows for work and most other things it would be a bit inconvenient having to reboot each time I switch between programming enigma 2 and doing everything else.

So my choice would be cross-compiling my programs in linux under VM or compiling directly on the box. What would be the preferred approach?

Edited by JasonM8, 27 March 2017 - 20:47.

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #6 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 27 March 2017 - 21:07

Use Linux under VM.
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 27 March 2017 - 21:56

So my choice would be cross-compiling my programs in linux under VM

That's why I said, search for that thread and download the Virtualbox VM, I think it's configured using Ubuntu, and ready to compile images. 

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #8 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 27 March 2017 - 23:30

I don't know any developer who compiles the code on a e2 box (well maybe gutemine does). Compiler, linker, needed libraries are not on the feed. So if you want to compile on a e2 box you first need to setup your own build environment on a Linux pc/vm and build compiler and needed packages.
I tried it several years ago and could compile a hello world without makefile and so on. I guess it's not so easy to create all packages you need.
So I also propose to use a linux on your pc or a vm.

99% of the plugins only use python. For that you don't need to compile anything. Only few plugins use c/c++ libraries.
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #9 pcd

• 759 posts

+88
Good

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:08

It is not difficult to compile any c++ source for a plugin. For example git clone the openpli build environment and look in plugin vlcplayer souce. There is a servicets build using c++ source. Just replace it with what you want and build.

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #10 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 28 March 2017 - 17:29

Would it be possible to make plugin, which can handle very simple html and JavaScript? Without the clumsy browser openopera. I'm afraid that it's not easily possible? If Yes, then event could be design specially for enigma2 plugin, what makes the cooperation with the simple html

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #11 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 28 March 2017 - 18:59

I used to google:
https://brobin.me/bl...wser-in-python/
https://docs.python....webbrowser.html
http://lynx.browser....rent/index.html
http://edbrowse.org
Do we have something for enigma2 exist? I have not come across, But if it would be in the browser, then it could be a Web Developer to do specially for the sat receiver-oriented pages.

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 28 March 2017 - 19:03

You need a javascript and html renderer. Webkit using QT is being looked at, and is may be the way to go, but not done overnight.

Re: Getting started developing python and C++ plugins on Windows #13 JasonM8

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 April 2017 - 11:50

I finally have the time to play around with VU+ this weekend and try some development. I could not find thread with a ready to go Ubuntu VM that was mentioned by WanWizard, would appreciate if someone can give me a link to it.

Failing that I found this thread:

https://forums.openp...p-ubuntudebian/

Original post is from 2011, and the thread has 24 pages. Should I read through that entire thread, starting from the end, or maybe someone has a link with up to date setup?

Edited by JasonM8, 8 April 2017 - 11:50.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users