Photo

Streaming live TV buffers, streaming the same channel after recording it works fine!

Streaming buffers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MatsF

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:47

Hi,

I have the latest OpenPli (from yesterday) with a Vu+Solo2.

I am connected from Cyprus to Sweden through OpenVPN (from my own router in C to my own router in S) and get a steady 33 Mbps through VPN (that is always on), watching 4k movies from Netflix/Amazon Prime Video without any problems.

I have no problems watching recorded HD television content, no buffering whatsoever (in my latest test it was about 11-12 Mbps steady).

When I watched the same channel live (Nat Geo Wild HD) it buffers rather often, like 10% of the time. When I watch the bandwidth that is about 8-10 Mbps!

Anybody has any tips what can be wrong and what to change to get this working?

/Mats

Edited by MatsF, 29 April 2017 - 09:48.

Re: Streaming live TV buffers, streaming the same channel after recording it works fine! #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:53

The bandwidth is not the issue. The latency (or rather the variance in latency) is the culprit.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Streaming live TV buffers, streaming the same channel after recording it works fine! #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,215 posts

+1,713
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:38

If your box at home is able to transcode, use that, the trancoded signal is more resilient when it comes to latency and jitter. But you will lose HD.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Streaming live TV buffers, streaming the same channel after recording it works fine! #4 MatsF

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 May 2017 - 13:09

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

It works with transcoding but I can´t seem to change the bandwith in the box so it is 2 or 3 Mbps and the quality of the picture is really really bad so that won´t work... 

I have about 120ms between my box and where I want to see it (3000km). So you mean there is nothing I can do about it?

I have an Nvidia Shield Android TV as client and:

If I use Kodi as client it gets worse.

dream Player TV is much better.

But it is right as you say, because I have the same problem with SD-channels. I haven't even tested SD channels before because I was so sure they weren't a problem.

Is it really no way around this? There must be a buffer setting somewhere or whatever?

Re: Streaming live TV buffers, streaming the same channel after recording it works fine! #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,215 posts

+1,713
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2017 - 13:25

The default transcoding settings are very low. You can change them either through the web interface (it has a transcoding tab under settings) or via the transcoding plugin.

Note that "bitrate" is in bytes, so "2000000" is around 2Mbps. And I have the resulution set to "720p". And do not forget to reboot after making this change, otherwise it won't stick.

With this setting, I have a pretty decent picture on a normal TV, using a VU+ Zero as client, and a connection from the client to my home box through an OpenVPN tunnel. The only hickup I sometimes have is because of the wifi connection I have to use when I'm travelling...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Streaming live TV buffers, streaming the same channel after recording it works fine! #6 joeuser

• 9 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 3 May 2017 - 22:54

Last year I had the same problem. Here is a link I had bookmarked which may help you. https://forums.openv...pic.php?t=20946

In the end I still had problems even after tweaking my openvpn settings. (Best results were with udp and compression off).

Not sure if this is an option for you, but I ended up using a linux server I had on the same net as my stb to be a proxy using the following one-liner:

while true;do  nc -l -p 8001 0<backpipe |nc 192.168.1.12 8001 1>backpipe; test $? -gt 128 && break; done

Then I created a playlist which pointed to my linux server instead of the stb. (192.168.1.12 is address of stb) You may also need to change the port if you are using transcoding.

The default buffer settings of netcat worked fine for me, but you may need to play with them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users