Photo

XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?!

XP1000 software update

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #21 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:16

OK - I've changed the password and now have access to all the files on the box.

Are there any files that you want me to post here?

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #22 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:16

no framebuffer available

So indeed, a failed security board.

If you scroll back through the dmesg output, you'll see a similar message and an error about loading the drivers.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #23 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:18

If all the files are available and accessible - and I can get access to the box - then what is stopping the box from starting up?

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #24 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:19

So the online software update has buggered my box for some reason?

What can this be and what would have done this?

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #25 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:22

Is there anything that I can do to fix it somehow - or is it a brick now?

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #26 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:29

I'm afraid it's just a coincidence.

And yes, it's a brick now, unless the manufacturer either offers new security boards as a repair (Xtrend did for a while), or releases new drivers in which the security board check is removed. Since it is an EoL box, and the changes of the chinese cloning this outdated design is virtually zero, I'd say removing the check is the way forward.

But we don't control that, all we can do is ask, and push for a solution.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #27 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:35

So is there a way we can contact them and ask them?

No we have, yes we can get - and lets face it, these receivers where advertised as being great value a few years ago.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #28 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:44

For you as a consumer, your retailer is the first step, they sold you a product with a design/production fault. They can contact their distributer, and they in turn can contact the manufacturer.

In the meantime, we've already contacted the people we know, but don't hold your breath, as it is an EoL box, the chances of them willing to further invest in it will be small. We've seen a similar (lack of) response from Xtrend.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #29 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:59

Well lets hope many other users will see this topic and as such will change there thoughts on buying these products then.

Please update this topic should you hear that they have changed their minds on this and taken the security codes away.

I will be looking now for something else - and guess what, not a Maxdigital nor a Xtrend.

Any ideas for a small good HD box? Don't want 4K yet - too early and will not change my screen yet.

Thanks for your help nevertheless - you do take your changes with the Chinese - and you cannot beat 'coincidences' - its like winning the lottery I suppose.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #30 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 13:30

I can only give you personal experiences. I have (in the same segment) a VU+ Zero and an Edision OS Mini+ in use, and both do their job just fine.

Note that the Zero is sold as a "zapper", of out the box it can't record.

You may also check https://wiki.openpli.org/comparison as a reference...

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #31 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 9 May 2017 - 09:00

One more idea I'm wondering if this would work???

Could it be if you put the ORIGINAL image on that the Maxdigital XP1000 came with???

That surely would have all the correct drivers and codes in it?

Or is this wishful thinking?

If not - where could I download an original image to try?

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #32 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2017 - 12:10

The problem is not the drivers, the problem is the security board. And that is hardware.

The SB registers itself as a USB device (you can see it with lsusb if it is working), the drivers talk to it, and if it refuses to respond, or give the incorrect response, the drivers don't load. The SB is there for protection against the box being cloned in China.

As mentioned before, the SB is powered by a small battery, and if that runs out, or losses it's connection, the memory chip on the SB looses it's data, and the SB no longer works.

So there are only two possible solutions: get a replacement board from your dealer, or get a driver without the SB check from the manufacturer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XP1000, software update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users