• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:45

Hi very first post  :ph34r:

Just trying to get a general feel for what Openpli is

I own several E2 boxes and have used many images and have a good understanding on most things

Thing is I see 'advanced' users are usually running an Openpli image

What is the difference with Openpli to the other images out there, there is obviously more of a learning curve 

Am I right in thinking its a bare bones package and you add to it what you will

The reason I ask is I got a used Edision Osmini this week and flashed it with Openpli yesterday and now I can open PVU channels without stream relay

I also own a Mutant HD51 and have seen online this is also possible 

Sorry for the dumb questions just wanting to expand on my knowledge a little

Re: OpenPLI #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,584 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:56

Welcome!

General difference is we build for stability, not for "bling".

So there is nothing in the image (by default) that shouldn't be there, we don't start or load anything that isn't needed, we don't do bleeding edge when it comes to drivers, and we don't do skins with so many featurres it looks like a Christmas tree.

This is also reflected in our codebase. We don't do workarounds or quick fixes, we dig for the root cause of an issue and try to address that. We also try so solve things in a generic way, instead of littering the code with all sorts of box and vendor specific stuff.

As a result, OpenPLi images in general run much more stable and more responsive.

So you're "sort of" right in what you were thinking. ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenPLI #3 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 16:19

Welcome!

General difference is we build for stability, not for "bling".

So there is nothing in the image (by default) that shouldn't be there, we don't start or load anything that isn't needed, we don't do bleeding edge when it comes to drivers, and we don't do skins with so many featurres it looks like a Christmas tree.

This is also reflected in our codebase. We don't do workarounds or quick fixes, we dig for the root cause of an issue and try to address that. We also try so solve things in a generic way, instead of littering the code with all sorts of box and vendor specific stuff.

As a result, OpenPLi images in general run much more stable and more responsive.

So you're "sort of" right in what you were thinking. ;)

Excellent well after using it on my osmini for a day I am more than happy, have learned how to change a password in linux 'passwd' lol

How to install cacheflush via usr/lib/enigma2/python/extensions/plugins

How to change an epg path

I now plan to flash my Mutant hd51 and have another play

Thank you for the clear and concise explanation  :)

I just have to work out what's what ie openpli 4 or 6 - much reading to do methinks

Re: OpenPLI #4 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 16:31

My mutant has an internal ssd - how do i create an epg path to this

Obviously it will not be recognised as 'usb'

Re: OpenPLI #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,584 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2017 - 16:47

What do you want with "cacheflush"? I wouldn't know what that is useful for?

The mutant should recognize the SSD as a disk, and make it available as /media/hdd. The EPG path can't be set (better: there is no point setting it), since it isn't stored in a file, but in memory.

And yes, a set password option in the GUI would be handy, I'll add that to the todo list.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: OpenPLI #6 Dream1975

• 1,634 posts

+14
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 19:33

As you are new start with 6. This one is very stable and has the latest "engine" (4 is more or less not really being updated anymore).

Start at https://wiki.openpli.org/Main_Page you'll learn a lot. Good luck, and I think you'll love the OpenPLI KISS approach

Edited by Dream1975, 24 July 2017 - 19:34.

Mutant HD2400, OpenPLi nightly, 2x DVB-C & 2x DVB-S

Mutant HD51, OpenPLi nightly, 1x DVB-C & 1x DVB-S

Wavefrontier T55 (Astra 1,2,3 en HB)

Smartcards Ziggo (Irdeto) and CDS (Seca) on Oscam

Re: OpenPLI #7 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 20:47

What do you want with "cacheflush"? I wouldn't know what that is useful for?

The mutant should recognize the SSD as a disk, and make it available as /media/hdd. The EPG path can't be set (better: there is no point setting it), since it isn't stored in a file, but in memory.

And yes, a set password option in the GUI would be handy, I'll add that to the todo list.

Cacheflush to clean the box on startup?

So the epg sources in EPG Import would automatically save to the SSD?

The password thing is no biggie  :lol:

As you are new start with 6. This one is very stable and has the latest "engine" (4 is more or less not really being updated anymore).

Start at https://wiki.openpli.org/Main_Page you'll learn a lot. Good luck, and I think you'll love the OpenPLI KISS approach

Ok got it, I am the owner of an electrical company and try to apply the KISS principle to most things I do

You are preaching to the converted  ;)

Re: OpenPLI #8 Dream1975

• 1,634 posts

+14
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 21:03

No need to clean the box (at startup). Linux and/or enigma2 will handle this in due time and when there is a need for it, so interfering with this process through plugins is useless and can do only harm.

When closing the box a file epg.dat is written (to the SSD) and read after restart (so EPG data is available after a short while without it being imported in the DVB stream as this takes more time). You can change the location etc/enigma2/settings, but why would you (want to) do that? There is a reason it is not configurable in the standard settings as enigma will choose the best location. This file is only written during shutdown and read during startup (which won't happen much). If the box is in standby or something it isn't touched.

Start with the bare OpenPLi, and only download plugins for functionality you need. Keep the system as clean as possible  ;)

Edited by Dream1975, 24 July 2017 - 21:08.

Re: OpenPLI #9 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 21:15

No need to clean the box (at startup). Linux and/or enigma2 will handle this in due time and when there is a need for it, so interfering with this process through plugins is useless and can do only harm.

When closing the box a file epg.dat is written (to the SSD) and read after restart (so EPG data is available after a short while without it being imported in the DVB stream as this takes more time). You can change the location etc/enigma2/settings, but why would you (want to) do that? There is a reason it is not configurable in the standard settings as enigma will choose the best location. This file is only written during shutdown and read during startup (which won't happen much). If the box is in standby or something it isn't touched.

Start with the bare OpenPLi, and only download plugins for functionality you need. Keep the system as clean as possible  ;)

Ok i am learning again so just let the epg do its own thing thanks

Re: OpenPLI #10 Dream1975

• 1,634 posts

+14
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 21:21

Handy starting plugins (in my humble opinion, and all downloadable in the OpenPLi application feed through the user interface) are:

Oscam (softcam) -> For smartcard use

Autobackup which also contains autorestore if configured (let it run daily) -> After a new reflash the settings and plugins will be restored as they were before the flash even if you flash a complete new version of OpenPLi

Autotimer

Graphmultiepg

openopera (fot HbbTV)

Optinally:

imdb

xmltvimport

xmltvimport-rytec

Youtube

And from there on only things you need more and miss (but this will be the learning curve, with above plugins you already have a lot of functionality).

Edited by Dream1975, 24 July 2017 - 21:24.

Re: OpenPLI #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,584 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2017 - 21:49

Correct, the EPG file is just a backup file so you don't loose your EPG data when you restart the box. It isn't otherwise used.

Re: OpenPLI #12 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 21:57

Handy starting plugins (in my humble opinion, and all downloadable in the OpenPLi application feed through the user interface) are:

Oscam (softcam) -> For smartcard use

Autobackup which also contains autorestore if configured (let it run daily) -> After a new reflash the settings and plugins will be restored as they were before the flash even if you flash a complete new version of OpenPLi

Autotimer

Graphmultiepg

openopera (fot HbbTV)

Optinally:

imdb

xmltvimport

xmltvimport-rytec

Youtube

And from there on only things you need more and miss (but this will be the learning curve, with above plugins you already have a lot of functionality).

well funnily enough if i install openopera on my osmini it goes into a bootloop (satdreamgr not pure openpli)

Thanks for the tips on plugins, what does the xml import do?

Correct, the EPG file is just a backup file so you don't loose your EPG data when you restart the box. It isn't otherwise used.

So am i right in thinking epg is automatically created once i view a channel say on 30w for example

Wow i have spent so much of my time downloading epg lists lol

Re: OpenPLI #13 Dream1975

• 1,634 posts

+14
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 22:03

Normally the epg is being imported through the DVB stream and then only for the stations related to the provider of the channel you are watching to (and for the number of days they provide)

The xmltv import does also import epg, but then through the internet and for all available channels and days configured (if available on the source). It is maintained on this forum at https://forums.openp...nd-epg-support/ but used by a lot of other images and plugins also (but here you are at the source, the import is written by Milo a developer of OpenPLi and maintained by Doglover and friends at the mentioned forum section.

As you spend so much time on your epg, this plugin will be a real gift for you so you'll have a lot of time exploring the other openPLi possibilities

Re: OpenPLI #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,584 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2017 - 22:04

HbbTV support for different hardware is flaky at best, and most so called "open" solutions aren't open at all, and ymmv with them.

As to EPG, it depends.

If the provider adheres to the DVB standards, its EPG data is broadcasted via EIT. it is used by all German providers, M7, Freeview in the UK, etc. Other providers use the Freesat or MediaHighway format, which we can receive and process as well. All this data is broadcasted, and you will recieve it while watching, although on some channels it can take a while before sufficient data is received.

For providers that use a proprietary format, for example SKY in the UK and Italy, we can't process that yet. For those providers, you can use the XMLTV importer. It is a plugin which allows you to download EPG data from the internet, once a day, and it supports most European providers.

Re: OpenPLI #15 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 22:18

So the xmlimport is basically similar to the epgimport plugin

Re: OpenPLI #16 Dream1975

• 1,634 posts

+14
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 22:22

Epgimport is the plugin to import, xmltv import are the sources the plugin uses to get the data

Re: OpenPLI #17 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 23:26

Cheers for the help guys, Mutant HD51 good to go

mutant.png

Re: OpenPLI #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,584 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2017 - 23:30

EMU? Tsssss...

Re: OpenPLI #19 gap30

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 July 2017 - 23:33

EMU? Tsssss...

guilty....

Re: OpenPLI #20 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:28

Except when there is a power cut or when your baby switches off the extension cord. :)

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users