Photo

Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #21 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,435 posts

+62
Good

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:16

They are in the file called settings located in /etc/enigma2/ Transfer it to PC and read it with Notepad++ or other linux compatible editor.

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #22 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2017 - 15:41

Abu, do you respond to my question about the words memorized for the EPG search? If it's ok, I shall see again the file settings, I've red it too quick ;) .

WanWizard, sorry but I don't understand. If I want to flash a new box, I plug the new image USB key and when I read the flashing is finished, I swap the autobackup key ?

And when I've restored an old backup, how can I load the most recent settings stored with autobackup ?

Vu+ Ultimo 4K - OpenPli 8.3

Xtrend ET9200 - OpenPli 6.2

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #23 greatred

• 268 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2017 - 16:43

Sorry if I`m misunderstanding  something, but in my opinion restoring autobackup`s created on another box require at least one of the below:

1. the naming convention for, both the PLi-AutoBackup${MACADDR}.tar.gz and autoinstall${MACADDR} contain the MAC address of the box where the backup has been created.

So in order to let the restore happen automatically during first boot of the box, both these files need to be renamed and corresponding symlinks need to be recreated.

2. eventually one could rename PLi-AutoBackup${MACADDR}.tar.gz into PLi-AutoBackup,tar,gz and the restore process should kick in  :)

/etc/init.d/settings-restore.sh
/etc/init.d/autoinstall.sh

Edited by greatred, 16 October 2017 - 16:46.

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #24 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,559 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2017 - 16:46

You should also have a file without the mac address in the backup directory. If the filesystem supports symlinks, it's a link to the latest backup. Otherwise it is a file as well/ The MAC address is only there to allow backups of multiple boxes into the same directory.

I use a USB stick with the same backup for every of the dozen or so boxes on my test stack, without any issue.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #25 greatred

• 268 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2017 - 16:54

Fair enough, so it looks like I misunderstood the concept  :P

Nevertheless copying only the PLi-AutoBackup${MACADDR}.tar.gz file wont activate the automatic restore on another box, right ?

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #26 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2017 - 17:08

I've understood you can use it on other box despite the mac address.

WanWizard, can you respond to my further questions please :) ?

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #27 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,559 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2017 - 17:12

Fair enough, so it looks like I misunderstood the concept  :P

Nevertheless copying only the PLi-AutoBackup${MACADDR}.tar.gz file wont activate the automatic restore on another box, right ?

Correct. The restore script first searches for the MACADDR version, and if not found, it searches for "PLi-AutoBackup.tar.gz", and if not found, it gives up.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #28 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,559 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2017 - 17:20

I've understood you can use it on other box despite the mac address.

Yes, as long as you have the complete backup directory, as it will need to file version without the mac address it in, as written in my previous post.

WanWizard, can you respond to my further questions please :) ?

Not sure what your further questions are, but the backup directory needs to be readable with the box boots up. It doesn't matter on which device it is, as long as that device is mounted at boot time.

The issue with USB devices is that the bootloader isn't very smart when it comes to detecting USB devices for flashing. It expects the image files on the first device detected, and otherwise it won't prompt for a flash. So when you flash, only the USB device containing the image files can be connected to the box. So:

• if your backup is on the harddisk: no problem, remove the USB stick after the flash, new image will boot, see the backup on the disk, and will prompt for a restore
  • if your backup is on THE SAME USB device as the image files: no problem, leave the USB stick connected after the flash, ignore the flash prompt after the reboot, the new image will boot, see the backup, etc...
  • if your backup is on ANOTHER USB device than the one you flash from, you have to remove that device first, otherwise the box wont see your flash files. As soon as the box starts flashing, you can already reconnect that USB device again, if you have a box with mutliple USB ports. If your box has only one USB port, wait until the flash is finished and the box reboots. Then switch the box off (don't wait until you see the OpenPLi bootlogo !), swap USB devices, switch the box on again.

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #29 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:39

Sorry WanWizzrad, I haven't seen your response. In fact I haven't received the mail :blink: .

Then I tried to install OpenPli on my new Ultimo 4K (too much fails with my Xtrends : power and other, I'm disgusted) and I have copied autobackup on the hard disk. It detects it after the flash but it asks this question :

Do you want to restore settings

Yes

And I haven't found how to reply. I pressed Ok on the remote control, nothing, I pressed the power device sensitive button (the only device button), nothing, I waited several minutes to see if It would do something but it stays with the question :unsure: .

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #30 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,559 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:38

Saw the discussion in the other topic. It should timeout (there's a number of seconds in the title of that popup window) after 10 seconds. If that number doesn't count down, Enigma has crashed or hangs...

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #31 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:51

Yes I've responded on the other topic, it works now. Something hanged Enigma.

Now I have another problem with the TNT tuner. Perhaps because the driver TNT USB loaded makes a problem with internal tuners. I've deleted them but it doesn't work. I'm going to inspect.

Re: Is it possible to restore only parameters stored with autobackup? #32 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 21 October 2017 - 14:20

In fact it works fine but as I use another skin, I had only 4 tuners by page and I don't saw the TNT tuners, only "virtual" tuners (4 tuners for tuner A and 4 tuners for tuner B). Then I couldn't configure them.

Now it's good. Very good job for developers, thank you very much :P .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users