Photo

GNU Screen for Dreambox

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bartender

• 207 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:33

I have been wanting "screen" for my dreambox for some time and after a lot of playing around I found out that I was making my life much too hard.

After checking out the DM600PVR source using the well documented process of:

wget "http://schwerkraft.e...in;cvsroot=open
dreambox" -O Makefile-opendreambox

make -f Makefile-opendreambox image

I then found that openembeded already included screen, and I just needed to use bitbake to download it and compile it, how sweet is that!.

However one of the files bitbake was trying to download (the screen 4.0.2 -> 4.1 patch) couldn't be found, so I had to change this file: openembedded/packages/screen/screen_4.0.2.bb to say:

SRC_URI = "${GNU_MIRROR}/screen/screen-${PV}.tar.gz \
http://debian.linux-...diff.gz;patch=1 \
file://configure.patch;patch=1"

After that I did:

cd build
. ./env.source
bitbake -i
build screen

And I was done... too easy!

then I just picked up the attached IPK from: build/tmp/deploy/ipk

Now I can run "screens" offline from my DM and re-connect to them later. This is great for runing apps like Bittorrent etc so you can monitor the progress of the app.

Will also test it on a DM500 to make sure it will work, then upload a tgz for that as well.

Attached Files

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #2 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:52

the screen utility has been available for quite some time, on all our openembedded images (including the 7025) in the ipk feed.
You could have saved yourselve some work ;) but now at least you've got some openembedded/bitbake experience yourselve ;)

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #3 bartender

• 207 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 February 2008 - 20:12

Ahh ok... no worries :).

One thing that would be really nice is a web interface into the plipanel to allow you to download software via a regular browser on your desktop instead of via the blue menu. For some time my DM wasn't internet connected (hadn't bothered to wire CAT5 to behind my tv).. so downloading patches etc did prove to be a challenge.

Overall I am really happy to have screen on my 600... and going to compile the 500 image to see if that will take it as well.

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #4 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 29 February 2008 - 20:25

One thing that would be really nice is a web interface into the plipanel to allow you to download software via a regular browser on your desktop instead of via the blue menu.

It's on our feature database but postponed for now.

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 29 February 2008 - 21:40

I'm not completely sure what the question was.

I interpret this as: I want a web page on the website, from where I can download whatever there is available from software management on the box, so I can use a PC to download it, and then FTP it to the box for manual installation.

Am I correct?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #6 bartender

• 207 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 February 2008 - 21:55

Yep.. that's what I am looking for, some way to download all available software (instead of downloading the menu.xml document, then manually extracting out the URL's for the particular apps I want, which is how I have done it in the past).. Then I can upload those to my DM at a later date.

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #7 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,469 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 1 March 2008 - 10:29

For some time my DM wasn't internet connected (hadn't bothered to wire CAT5 to behind my tv).. so downloading patches etc did prove to be a challenge.

how do you update from your pc to the box without a wire?

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #8 bartender

• 207 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 March 2008 - 03:35

My internet and TV's connections were in completely different areas of my house, the only way I could internet connect my DM was to either move the TV, or run a 20 meter CAT5 cable over the floorboards (due to very tight 35cm fit under the house). Cable on the floor is not child friendly. It's sorted now. But it still would be a help to be able to access the whole download server and browse files with a real browser instead of via the OSD.

Re: GNU Screen for Dreambox #9 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,469 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 2 March 2008 - 13:07

we are looking into the possibilities...

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users