OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN

VPN OpenWebIF

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JasonM8

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 November 2017 - 15:40

I'd like to have access to my receiver (OpenWebIf, streaming) from the internet without directly exposing it to the world. I already OpenVPN server running on my PC and I'd prefer to use it over installing OpenVPN on the receiver.

I googled a bit and several posts noted how VPN should be enabled in Openwebif ,but I did not see that option either on Openwebif page or in Menu/Plugins/OpenwebIf. How do I enable it, and do I need to take any more steps to have receiver accessible through VPN?

Thanks

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,306 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 19 November 2017 - 15:53

Access from what? From your PC?

To setup a VPN you need two components: a client part and a server part. What do you intend to install where?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #3 JasonM8

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 November 2017 - 16:01

Access from what? From your PC?

To setup a VPN you need two components: a client part and a server part. What do you intend to install where?

PC and receiver are connected on the same LAN so receiver is already accessible from the PC. What I want is to access receiver through the internet from the tablet and tunnel all the traffic through the VPN installed on the PC. VPN server on PC and VPN client on tablet are installed and configured, and everything works fine, I just need some assistance in making receiver accessible through that VPN (that is running on PC). Hope that made things clearer.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,306 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 19 November 2017 - 16:40

If your VPN client uses bridging (i.e. your tablet gets an IP address through the VPN tunnel in your LAN range), it should work without any additional work.

If not, your VPN server (= your PC) needs to route between your LAN subnet and your VPN subnet, and your LAN devices need to know how to access the VPN subnet. Which is not for novices I'm afraid, so avoid this situation if possible.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #5 JasonM8

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 November 2017 - 21:52

My setup uses routing not bridging. If bridging works without any additional work won't I potentially get IP conflicts (192.168.1.*) when tablet is connected through public wifi?

Edited by JasonM8, 19 November 2017 - 21:53.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,306 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 20 November 2017 - 00:25

No, if you use bridging your DHCP server in your LAN will be used, the same as for clients in the local LAN. You might have to read up on client configuration, depending on the client.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #7 Pippin

• 103 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2017 - 00:29

Stay away from bridging if routing suffices which is the case here.

You have provided just about 0 info...

HOWTO: Request Help !

This question should probably be asked on OpenVPN forum.

You have a working OpenVPN server.

Expanding the scope of the VPN to include additional machines on either the client or server subnet.

Possibly a few extra directives in the server config and the rest is routing and firewall which is actually more daunting ;)

Your PC is NAT`ed so you need to either set a route on your router or do MASQUERADE on your server.

I googled a bit and several posts noted how VPN should be enabled in Openwebif

Your receiver is not part of the VPN, so no need to do anything there.

Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. Nikola Tesla

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #8 JasonM8

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:55

I did not provide OS and OpenVPN version details because I thought it was not necessary for such a generic question. I'm on Windows 10 and I'm using OpenVPN 2.3.10-1603.

One of the links you pasted said: "One of the benefits of using ethernet bridging is that you get this (including multiple machines on the server side) for free without needing any additional configuration. Do disadvantages of bridging outweight those in my particular case?

It is very late in here, I'll try setting this up tomorrow once I decide if I want to go the bridging or routing way. And if I don't get it working I'll ask for further assistance on OpenVPN forum.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #9 Pippin

• 103 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:53

You can find info on deciding what you need here:

BridgingAndRouting

From info you provided so far, "(OpenWebIf, streaming)", you need routed TUN.

Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. Nikola Tesla

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,306 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 20 November 2017 - 13:01

I don't agree with "stay away from bridging", from a setup perspective, it is a lot simpler.

If you go for routing, you need to setup either a routing protocol or setup static routes, as your LAN will now have two routers: your ISP router (to internet) and your PC (OpenVPN routing to remote clients).

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #11 Pippin

• 103 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2017 - 13:48

He already has a working server. It`s possibly a matter of adding one push directive, setting one route on his router and set firewall.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,306 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 20 November 2017 - 13:57

That is what I said. ;)

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #13 Pippin

• 103 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2017 - 14:19

Yes, me too ;)

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #14 Robinson

• 2,613 posts

+30
Good

Posted 7 August 2023 - 10:00

Hello, 

I have a similar question. 

I already have a working VPN server on my Ubiquiti UDR router and Wireguard clients installed on our mobile phones and laptops. 

I also have access to OpenWebif using this VPN setup. 

Is there perhaps any other setting in OpenPLi I need to use to be able to stream TV to my mobile phone or laptop? Some authorization, authentication etc.? 

Edited by Robinson, 7 August 2023 - 10:00.

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,306 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 7 August 2023 - 15:33

If your client device access your box on an private (RFC1918) IP, you need to set "Enable access from VPN's" to "yes" ( menu - plugins - openwebif ).

If not, you are required to enable HTTP authentication.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #16 Robinson

• 2,613 posts

+30
Good

Posted 7 August 2023 - 18:52

Thanks WanWizard.

I cannot see any VPN-related option in the menu.

I am on 8.3.

Also, I am not sure how to check if my Xiaomi mobile phone is on a private IP. My IP is from a mobile phone operator and here the GMS signal is rather weak.

It probably depends. Sometimes I may be on a private IP (for example at someone's house, using wi-fi) and sometimes on a public IP, perhaps if using GSM signal.

Attached Files

Edited by Robinson, 7 August 2023 - 18:56.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #17 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,306 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 7 August 2023 - 19:20

If you use a VPN, the IP address that is relevant is the local address of the VPN tunnel endpoint, not the network you may be connected to.

And you have Authentication enabled, which makes the "Enable access from VPN's" option no longer relevant.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #18 Robinson

• 2,613 posts

+30
Good

Posted 7 August 2023 - 21:55

Is there a good way to investigate the reason why streaming does not start on my mobile phone?

I can zap channels on TV through OpenWebIf but somehow streaming does not work.

Also, MENU - INFORMATION - STREAMING CLIENTS INFO does not show any clients.

It does not work when I'm in the local network either (without VPN), so it is probably not a VPN issue.

Is the address generated correctly?

http://192.168.1.101:20000/web/stream.m3u?ref=1%3A0%3A1%3A3DD2%3A640%3A13E%3A820000%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A&name=Tvn+24+HD&device=etc

Attached Files

Edited by Robinson, 7 August 2023 - 22:01.

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #19 Robinson

• 2,613 posts

+30
Good

Posted 8 August 2023 - 11:14

Perhaps I need to indicate a default movie player on my Android device (such as VLC) so that it is opened every time I click "stream" on OpenWebIf. I'm not sure how to do that though. 

Re: OpenWebIf and streaming access through VPN #20 Robinson

• 2,613 posts

+30
Good

Posted 8 August 2023 - 11:40

OK, I have some success finally by swapping web browsers on my phone. 

There are however problems with higher bitrate channels. My upload at home should be more than enough. Is my download/upload at work too small? 20 Mbps - 5 Mbps. It is LTE+.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users