Photo

How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 16 February 2018 - 19:43

Hi,

I've shared directories from a second disk (D:) on a PC with Windows 7 and I can access them from my Vu+ but with the same parameters on The Windows 10 PC, I can't access on a D: shared directories even if I can access on the C: shared directories.

I can access to the D: shared directories from the Windows 7 PC.

Thank you :) .

Vu+ Ultimo 4K - OpenPli 8.3

Xtrend ET9200 - OpenPli 6.2

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2018 - 21:22

Probably related to the fact that SMBv1 is disabled on the latest Win10.  So you might have to include "vers=2.1" in the mount options.

It could also be that simple authentication methods are no longer accepted, so you might also want to try "auth=ntlmv2" in the mount options.

The VU+ runs an old kernel version, so it could well have outdated defaults.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #3 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 17 February 2018 - 15:12

Ok. It was only for a test because I have the same problem with a Zidoo box. And it seems it's also a SMBv1 problem. Otherwise I don't use it because it hangs the Pli box when the PC is off, it's not very convenient. I've bought the Zidoo box to get around the HDMI recording Vu+ problem. It's running Androïd and even if it's less evolved than Pli, it doesn't hang.

I've red the option command "_netdev" of mount command allows to wait the other device is connected before trying to mount it. Can't it be used to avoid box hangs?

Thank you WanWizard :) .

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 17 February 2018 - 15:36

Whether or not something "hangs" depends on the way you mount it.

For devices which aren't always on, you can use autofs, which automatically mounts and disconnects depending on usage.

But in both cases, if you try to access a file via a mount on a server that isn't there anymore, you'll have to wait for a timeout.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #5 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 17 February 2018 - 22:20

I use the Pli screens to mount and access a network device. And when the device is not present, we get the spinner and I have to stop the box because the spinner works a very long time. I tried to wait an hour and I stopped the box. if here is a timeout, it's very very long ;) .

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 17 February 2018 - 23:03

The problem is that in the SMB protocol there is no provision for this, it is designed for Windows server, which should always be there. What happens is that Enigma requests data from the server, and because of it being gone, the driver retries indefinitely, and never returns control to Enigma.

As said, the only workaround is autofs with a short timeout, which basically does an automatic umount after inactivity or timeout. So it doesn't fix the problem, it just breaks the connection...

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #7 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:04

Yes but it would be better. Then do you think somebody could correct it in Pli to avoid to have to restart the box?

And I'm not sure I've understood : my Vu+ use an old protocol to connect to network and Windows 10 doesn't use it any more? The protocol depends of the firmware of the box and not from Enigma or Pli :huh: ?

Edited by sjlouis, 18 February 2018 - 11:07.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2018 - 14:03

No, the problem (of the "hanging") is inherent to the CIFS linux kernel driver. Every linux installation has this problem. It's been a long standing issue that hasn't been addressed for years.

There are several versions of the SMB protocol, v1, v2.0, v2.1 and v3. (see https://blogs.techne...-are-you-using/ for more in-depth information).

Recently, due to severe security issues, SMBv1 has been disabled, not only in Windows 10, but also in the Synology NAS for example. Windows has the option to cycle through all available and allowed protocols, so you as a user don't notice anything, and don't know which protocol is used. But the Linux kernel driver doesn't. It connects using the version it has been programmed with, and if you as a user needs a different version, you need to specify this in the mount options.

Up to kernel v4.13, the default was SMBv1, after that, the default has been upgraded to SMBv3. So if you box has a kernel older than 4.13, and your "server" doesn't support SMBv1, you need to specify the version on the mount. Likewise, if your box runs 4.13 or higher, and your "server" doesn't support SMBv3, you also need to specify the version on the mount.

This is a good overview on this subject: https://www.happyass...ol-version-fun/

The same is true for the authentication mechanism. This used to be NTLM, but in Kernel 3.8 the default has changed to NTLMv2, as Windows no longer supports NTLM (also because of security issues). But depending on the version and configuration of Windows (especially Windows Server), you might need to specify an alternative mechanism on the commandline too.

Edited by WanWizard, 18 February 2018 - 14:07.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #9 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 14:18

Waouaw! It's a little complex :P ! Ok, I begin to understand.

Just a little surprise, yesterday, I could access Windows 10 C: disk (and not D: disk) but I can't today. No matter. I've tried also with the Xtrend and it's the same result. It accesses Win 7 but not Win 10.

Thank you WanWizard :) .

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2018 - 15:12

I've added this information to the wiki: https://wiki.openpli...anager_Problems

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #11 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 16:08

Thanks, it's interesting but perhaps I haven't understood because I've replaced "rw" by "rw, sec=ntlm", restarted the box, re activate the link ant it does not always work :unsure: .

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #12 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 16:15

I've red the wiki for SSD disks and now I can understand why when I copy file to a SSD disk, it's not so quick, but there is a surprise : it's much faster in ext4 format than in NTFS while it's similar for an USB key. I've done these tests today.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2018 - 16:20

Ho, halt, stop. ;)

There are TWO different issues with CIFS.

1. The default authentication mechanism changed from "ntlm" to "ntlmv2" in Linux kernel v3.8.
    You need to add "sec=ntlmv2" to your mount if your box kernel < 3.8 and your server doesn't support it. You need to add "sec=ntlm" to your mount options if you connect to a NAS that doesn't support ntlmv2. Windows always supports ntlmv2.
  2. The default smb version changed from "SMBv1" to "SMBv3" in Linux kernel v4.13.
    You need to add "vers=2.1" (or a lower version) if you box kernel > 4.12 and your server doesn't support SMBv3 (a NAS, old Windows systems). You need to add "vers=3.0" (or a lower version) if your box kernel < 4.13 and your server doesn't support SMBv1 (up to date NAS systems, up to date Windows 8 and Windows 10, Windows Server).

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #14 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 16:30

I don't understand : the mechanism changes to "ntlmv2" with kernel v3.8 but I have to write "sec=ntlmv2" if my box kernel is < 3.8? Isn't it contradictory?

My Vu+ kernel is 3.14.28.

On a Zidoo forum, we are several users to have this problem and another user said to write "DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:SMB1Protocol" in a Windows command screen. Can it interfere with your solution?

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2018 - 16:45

Before 3.8 the default in the kernel driver was "ntlm", from 3.8 onwards, the default is "ntlmv2". So you only need to specify "sec=ntlmv2" if your kernel is older than 3.8, and you need ntlmv2 to connect.

Re-enabling SMBv1 on a server is a very bad idea, it has been disabled by the manufacturer for a reason, SMBv1 has a few big security holes. If the client supports SMBv2.0, SMBv2.1 or SMBv3, it is always better to use it. And all OpenPLi boxes do support it.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #16 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 17:00

Before you answered, I have found how to activate and deactivate smb1 in Windows 10. I've deactivated it. I've tried also "rec, sec=ntlmv2" (it's the good one with my kernel, isn't it?) but it doesn't work no more.

Yesterday, I can't access to Win 10 but when I change the ip address from a Win 7 link to Win 10, it worked. I've tried again but no success. It's tough. And with the Zidoo, some boys access to Win 10 and others not whine the parameters seem to be the same.

If you don't know, no matter, it's not really important ;) . It was for challenge.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #17 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2018 - 17:36

I think we're talking on different plains here.

You DONT NEED the "sec" parameter, your kernel is newer than 3.8, and Windows wants ntlmv2, so the default is fine. the "sec" parameter has NOTHING to do with the SMB version!

If your server doesn't support SMBv1, you need to add "vers=3.0" (or "vers=2.1").

p.s. "rec" is an invalid option, so I can imagine the mount fails with that option.

Edited by WanWizard, 18 February 2018 - 17:37.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #18 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 18:14

Sorry, it was a writing error, I have "rw". It does not work with "rw, vers=3.0" and "rw, vers=2.1".

It's frustrating but no matter ;)  .

I hope you a good evening WanWizard :) .

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #19 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,636 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2018 - 18:29

I'll find a Windows !0 system somewhere, and I'm going to test it.

Re: How to access a shared Windows 10 directory on a D: disk? #20 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2018 - 20:14

Waouaw! Thank you WanWizzard but don't spend too much time ;)  .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users