11 replies to this topic

#1 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:01

Does anyone has an opinion to the pro's and con's of IGMP snooping (managed switch) vs an IGMP proxy (router)?

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: IGMP #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:29

Planning on building a multicast network? ;)

These options aren't mutually exclusive, and depend on your requirements and design.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: IGMP #3 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:35

Can you explain/enlighten that with examples. In my case, I want to "spread" the multicast to my VLAN's and it works with a IGMP proxy.

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

Re: IGMP #4 mrbeam

• 300 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:36

Some usefull information in this pp.

https://alor.antifor...lks/IGMP-v3.ppt

Wavefrontier T90, Vu+ Duo 4k SE (DVB-S2x FBC, DVB-T2, DVB-C USB), Octagon SF4008 (dual DVB-S2, DVB-T2 & DVB-C USB), Mutant HD51 (DVB-S2 & DVB-T2), TBS6920 & TBS6925

Re: IGMP #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:38

IGMP proxy is something you would use on your network gateway, i.e. your firewall or your border router. IGMP snooping is something you would use in the LAN, it is a technique the switch uses to build a multicast topology.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: IGMP #6 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:53

Thanks to you both for your reply, @WanWizard, yes, I understand that, as I want the multicast on different subnets, the switch seems the logic choice to send the multicast over all VLAN's? For now, I use the firewall/router with a IGPM proxy option to do so, as the various options the switch offers, I'm not familiar with.

Re: IGMP #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:59

That is not how it works. IGMP snooping is a layer-2 thing, IGMP proxy is a layer-3 thing.

You need IGMP snooping to make sure multicast traffic only goes to LAN subscribers. If you don't have it, it is flooded (broadcasted) to all ports in the LAN by the router, which can considerably increase your network load. The IGMP proxy routes incoming multicast steams to the different internal networks (VLANs in your case).

Re: IGMP #8 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 22:14

Yes, that's why I choose the router to do the job, using an IGMP proxy. As IMHO flooding was a risk to set multicast using my switch across my VLANs using IGMP snooping. I got confused as most people only use the router/firewall (IGMP proxy) when they want to let something from the WAN into the LAN as in TV and this is not the case here, I just want a multicast across my VLAN's.

Re: IGMP #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 22:20

From a technical point of view, the proxy distributes inbound multicast, like any other proxy will do (for example an HTTP proxy). Although people tend to define "inbound" as "WAN", technically that is incorrect, any source of multicast traffic that you want to distribute is inbound, whether that comes from outside, or from servers in your own datacenter for example.

Re: IGMP #10 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 22:36

I choose to do "it" using the router/firewall using an IGMP proxy. As apart from the getting the multicast across the VLAN's there was the access to and from the different subnets and this is solemnly done by the firewall. So to speak, to keep it all into one hand and not devide it between a switch and the router/firewall.

Re: IGMP #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2018 - 17:04

Which is the logical place to do "it". ;)

Re: IGMP #12 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2018 - 19:38

I thought so too ;), yet still interesseted if someone has other thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users