h9 wpa h9 wpa2 h9 wifi

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 nokias

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 June 2018 - 11:11

Hello,
I do not know if it has ever been reported by anyone, but it seems like there is a problem with all or at least most of the wifi interfaces on the Zgemma h9.
This problem happens in other images as well and what I was able to determine directly with the brand, they say it has something to do with kernel 4.4 and hisilicon cpus.

The problem is that whatever wifi interface is used, it works but only if there is no encryption involved. It is possible to scan, but it is not possible to use wep, wap or wpa2.

The Brand told me it would work if the native drivers were used, which I honestly do not understand. They said that in the image that the h9 factory (atv) using the native drivers for rt5572 and rt3573, which atv replaced in their repositories, would be working, but I have not those chips and could not confirm.

What I find strange is that if it happens with all the chips, I thought it was not a problem with drivers, but rather related to the "wpa suplicant" or something, but if I knew how to respond to the problem, I would not be here asking for help from the experts

I tested with rt2800 and zd1211 and the problem happens with both!

In a more recent contact with the brand, they said that the atv image had already solved the problem in order to work with all the wiif modules and for me to test the next nightly build from few days ago, but the problem continues and so far there is no update of what either in the repositories.

I thought that if it really was a driver problem, I could use the atv in pli, since they use the shorter kernel version, but I decided to ask for help here, because
it seems to me that neither the brand nor the ATV have "competence" to solve the problem.

If somebody also know a way to turn off the "air logo" led through a shell command, please tell me, since trying to control the "/proc/stb/power/standbyled" does nothing.

Thanks for everything!

Edited by nokias, 4 June 2018 - 11:16.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #2 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 4 June 2018 - 11:50

Think you missed a commit  :lol: 

https://github.com/o...7626ceecadc753b

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

:rolleyes:                :rolleyes:

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #3 nokias

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 June 2018 - 23:48

Yes thanks.

This goes to meet with what the brand told me, and really who made the correction was an ATV admin, but .... in practical terms, when is this available in new images releases?

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #4 nokias

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 June 2018 - 04:27

Ok, I noticed that today's image has already come out with the included fix, but the problem is that as the name implies, it is only for WPA and not for WPA2 as well!

With wpa, it works!
Will there be a solution for Wpa2?

Edited by nokias, 5 June 2018 - 04:28.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #5 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 5 June 2018 - 07:53

Ok, I noticed that today's image has already come out with the included fix, but the problem is that as the name implies, it is only for WPA and not for WPA2 as well!

With wpa, it works!
Will there be a solution for Wpa2?

WPA and/or WPA2 works fine by me.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #6 nokias

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 June 2018 - 10:40

Not here! Here "wpa or wpa2" works if ap is limited to wpa! If ap is in wpa2 only, it dont work. (tested with rt2800 and zd1211)

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #7 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:05

Can confirm what nokias tells. Still not fixed.

kernel-module-aes-generic cannot be installed...

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #8 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 29 September 2018 - 14:51

Have seen this problem before in the past with other boxes and installing kernel-module-aes-generic was/is the solution.

Unfortunately the kernel-module-aes-generic is missing in the feed of the H9.

So, @PLI-team: please explain howto install kernel-module-aes-generic in the image of the H9 because that probably fixes the problem.

Edited by Dimmie, 29 September 2018 - 14:52.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 29 September 2018 - 16:13

Kernel modules need to be enabled in the kernel config, which is in the BSP, which is in the manufacturers control. 

But I wonder this is the issue, according to https://forums.openp...-kernel-module/ it is no longer used in more recent kernels, and none of the boxes I have connected here have it.

If I check the feed, I only find the module for:

./h7/kernel-module-aes-arm_4.10.12-.1.1_h7.ipk
./e4hd/kernel-module-aes-arm_4.10.12-.0.1_e4hd.ipk
./vs1500/kernel-module-aes-arm-ce_4.10.12-r0.2.1_vs1500.ipk
./hd51/kernel-module-aes-arm-bs_4.10.12-r0.2.1_hd51.ipk

which is a different series of boxes than the H9.

Usually if wpa2 fails, it means the firmware can't be found or loaded, which should be in /lib/firmware. The last few times this issue was reported it was by multiboot users with something else than OpenPLi in flash, so the wrong libs were used.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #10 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 30 September 2018 - 00:04

Can confirm what nokias tells. Still not fixed.

kernel-module-aes-generic cannot be installed...

Reason is because your using Openpli image 6.2 and this isn't update for almost 6 months.

The fix was added on 2 Juni 2018 but Openpli 6.2 uses the BSP layer from 16 May 2018

I use an own build image and this works fine by me with follow wifi modules

Mt7601u
RT3070

RT3572

RT3593

RT5370

RTL8192su

RTL8192CU

RTL8188

ZD1211

Carl9170 (Fritzlan)

I will build for Openpli 6.2 an image tomorrow. You should only replace the uimage file probably to get it working.

Edited by WTE, 30 September 2018 - 00:09.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #11 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:09

If this is true then I don't understand why the BSP isn't updated by the OpenPLI team in the image.

Thank you for the help so far, I will grab and test it when you have uploaded it :)

Edited by Dimmie, 30 September 2018 - 01:10.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:00

Our experience has learned to not update BSP modules in a "release" image, or it will become a "develop" image, in terms or reliability.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #13 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 30 September 2018 - 15:54

Ok then just explain howto update the BSP layer in the excisting 6.2 image. Then I try and see if it is the solution for this problem.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 30 September 2018 - 16:46

Compile one yourself (but if you can, why not use a develop image?).

It is all very simple, major upgrades (which include BSP updates) means a new develop -> rc -> release cycle, which is a lot of work, not only because all images with are updated need to be retested.

At the moment even more so since release-6.2 is till using OE "Morty", develop is on "Pyro", "Rocko" is being skipped, and currently BSP's are being made compatible with the upcoming "Sumo" release.

If you now update the BSP is release, you're essentially backporting an evolved Sumo-ready BSP to and old "Morty" environment. Which will be like trying to get something for Windows 10 to work on Windows 7...

Instead I would prefer a new release, which is what we're currently looking at.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #15 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 1 October 2018 - 00:30

I have to take a look into self-compiling of OpenPLI in the future. But I am used to debian, not ubuntu.

So I will wait for this moment for WTE.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #16 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 1 October 2018 - 11:50

Develop and release-6.1 branch the ipk update files are ok but on release-6.2 something is wrong.

I will check first if I can find the bug in release-6.2 why it doesn't make the right packages otherwise you need to execute the update manual.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #17 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 1 October 2018 - 15:21

I'm using develop for my h9, if you want I can share it (I just compiled a new image today) but it's not pure PLi as I do some tests for my own build ...

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #18 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 1 October 2018 - 16:27

Only for test as proof of concept.

The BSP update files you need to place it in /tmp/

Run the in telnet/putty the manual package update for the files.

opkg --force-downgrade install /tmp/kernel-image_4.4.35*
opkg install /tmp/zgemma*
opkg install /tmp/kernel-module*

reboot

files: https://we.tl/t-QR0cqZxnXQ

The rfkill module isn't load automatic so you have to load it manual first

insmod /lib/modules/4.4.35/kernel/net/rfkill/rfkill.ko

Place wifi stick after loading the rfkill module

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #19 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 1 October 2018 - 19:13

Thanks WTE. Just tested, works.

Now only automatic loading of rfkill module and all is fine I guess.

Re: Zgemma h9 wifi encryption #20 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 1 October 2018 - 20:51

@persianprince: thanks for the offer to share it. Always nice for testing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users