Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 nor50

• 423 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:05

Why does it take so long to upgrade picons? VU+ Solo 4K/6.2?

VU+ Ultimo 4K, 19.2, 13, 4.8 E via switch on input/tuner 1. 1W. Inverto Unicable II LNB IDLU-32UL40 on input/tuner 2. OpenPLi 8.3

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 13 June 2018 - 13:09

Very good question. We've noticed it too.

Installing them is quick, even on a slower box and an USB 2.0 stick:

root@et10000:~# time opkg install enigma2-plugin-picons-srp-full.220x132-190x102.light.on.transparent --add-dest /media/usb:/media/usb -d /media/usb
Installing enigma2-plugin-picons-srp-full.220x132-190x102.light.on.transparent (2018-06-11--01-05) on /media/usb.
Downloading http://downloads.openpli.org/feeds/openpli-6-release/3rd-party/enigma2-plugin-picons-srp-full.220x132-190x102.light.on.transparent_2018-06-11--01-05-15_all.ipk.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-picons-srp-full.220x132-190x102.light.on.transparent.

real	0m18.810s
user	0m7.890s
sys	0m3.531s

But upgrading them takes ages for some reason.

It may have to do with the fact that opkg needs to track every file for version management, which means a lot of I/O for about 9000 image files and 12000 symlinks.

I've created a ticket for it: https://devtools.ope....org/issues/127

edit: for comparison, an update of the same picons package takes:

real 25m28.579s
user 24m56.715s
sys 0m28.376s

Edited by WanWizard, 13 June 2018 - 13:53.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #3 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,414 posts

+61
Good

Posted 13 June 2018 - 16:30

can we make it a removal of old and installation of new process instead of upgrade?

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 13 June 2018 - 16:39

Manually, yes. But I prefer not to have hardcoded workarounds in the code.

But I was more thinking about a different way of generating the ipk, by making a tarball of the images and symlinks and package that, or add a prerm script that removes them and find a way to tell opkg not to track them.

Needs some testing, but I've got more pressing issues to look at at the moment...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #5 nor50

• 423 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 14 June 2018 - 16:37

BTW, who/where etc to mention missing picons?

VU+ Ultimo 4K, 19.2, 13, 4.8 E via switch on input/tuner 1. 1W. Inverto Unicable II LNB IDLU-32UL40 on input/tuner 2. OpenPLi 8.3

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2018 - 17:21

Picons are maintained here: https://www.picons.eu

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #7 blunt

• 159 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:34

i have problems with auto updating picons.

I have re named picons inside the picons directory because the index have some faults , but every two days the auto updates plugins removes it and delete my renamed picons.

Is there a way to cancelled auto updating picons or a way to keep the renamed ones and have the new one in the same directory?

Just to say that weeks ago i do not have this problems cause it was upgrading not updating so the renamed picons were still in the directory.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:57

picons, like any other package. are under version control. If the source updates, so does the package.

If you discover a mistake, you should report it (here: https://gitlab.com/p...s/picons/issues) so it can be corrected at source and everyone enjoys your fix.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #9 blunt

• 159 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 27 June 2018 - 13:05

picons, like any other package. are under version control. If the source updates, so does the package.

If you discover a mistake, you should report it (here: https://gitlab.com/p...s/picons/issues) so it can be corrected at source and everyone enjoys your fix.

Ok then is there a way to cancel plugin auto update?

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #10 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,414 posts

+61
Good

Posted 27 June 2018 - 13:15

If you stop installing it from the plugins section, download from picons.eu, you won't get the issue you are having.

PLI build every Monday, the Ocram picons are built overnight if there is a change. So there is possibility that you will miss out on updates until next build and if someone uploads newer version.

Downside of installing yourself is you will need to manually install newer versions.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #11 blunt

• 159 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 27 June 2018 - 13:19

If you stop installing it from the plugins section, download from picons.eu, you won't get the issue you are having.

PLI build every Monday, the Ocram picons are built overnight if there is a change. So there is possibility that you will miss out on updates until next build and if someone uploads newer version.

Downside of installing yourself is you will need to manually install newer versions.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

i have start installing from the website since the picons plugins was removed from the feeds at a time.

i just copy my picon dir then remove the plugins then copy back the picon dir , all done , i will update it once a month from the website ipk :)

thanks

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #12 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2018 - 14:03

Stop using picon by reference and use picon by name this is far better and easier to maintain but WanWizard gives you the solution, if you find wrong picon reference or wrong picon report them to the "source" of them (see WanWizard link).

So they fix it once for all and for everybody.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2018 - 14:28

Eh, no.

OpenPLi picons are build from picons.eu, and are build and available on a daily bases. So no need to do anything manually. 

If the source is wrong, suggesting the TS should download and install packages manually won't solve the problem. The TS should report the errors so Ocram can fix them.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #14 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 27 June 2018 - 15:01

This is the stupid way of using picon - install / update picons as an IPK installation package. It is much better to install a "Picon Updater Plugin" and then to update your picons (for example, after changes in the userbouquet user lists of channels). Of course I can not handle all the users of set top boxes, but only more experienced (need to know the azimuth of the satellite, know how to set picon download source, etc.).

Regarding the use of picon files by channel name, that's what I think stupid. The service reference code is unique in Enigma systems (it can not be clogged). However, the name of the channel may change at any time, and also different providers may use different names for the service, here is an example for the Slovak channel:

Markiza
Markíza
Markiza HD
Markiza (HD)

TV Markiza

Markiza TV

So the use of channel names is unreliable.

Edited by s3n0, 27 June 2018 - 15:02.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #15 blunt

• 159 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 27 June 2018 - 15:04

Stop using picon by reference and use picon by name this is far better and easier to maintain but WanWizard gives you the solution, if you find wrong picon reference or wrong picon report them to the "source" of them (see WanWizard link).

So they fix it once for all and for everybody.

I use the SNP not the SRP

but its mostly some channels name that my cable provider used as channel name.

Like "nametvhd" ,  not "nametv" or "tvname".

I will report the wrong name in the index when I will have some time to refer maybe 50 channels.

like s3n0 says.

Edited by blunt, 27 June 2018 - 15:06.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2018 - 15:09

We support both the SNP and SRP packages, so users have a choice.

This is the stupid way of using picon - install / update picons as an IPK installation package. It is much better to install a "Picon Updater Plugin" and then to update your picons (for example, after changes in the userbouquet user lists of channels). Of course I can not handle all the users of set top boxes, but only more experienced (need to know the azimuth of the satellite, know how to set picon download source, etc.)

You may think it is stupid, but it is all there is at the moment.

If you can point us to the source of such a plugin that we can build as part of our feed, and that is as well stocked as Ocram's picons, we would sure like to know.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #17 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,414 posts

+61
Good

Posted 27 June 2018 - 15:21

@Wanwizard, I didn't realise there was a daily build by PLI. Thanks for the correction/information. Anyone else who read my previous post, please disregard it.

SRP has prioroity over SNP. The SNP sets have SRP references where there are clashes.

If the channel has different names depending on satellite, we can add them too. For clarification purposes,

Markiza HD will use picons in this order: reference > markizahd > markiza
Markiza (HD)
will use picons in this order: reference > markizahd > markiza

The "(" and ")" are not allowed and skipped

If links need adding, just submit a pull request/raise an issue. There are several contributors to the Ocram project who are active on this forum.

Edited by Abu Baniaz, 27 June 2018 - 15:23.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2018 - 15:46

It's been active again since a few weeks.

Still ironing out some details, the standard ipk as generated by the supplied scripts is dead-slow with updates, and ideally I also like to split them per sat position, to make them smaller (and not everyone needs them all).

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #19 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,414 posts

+61
Good

Posted 27 June 2018 - 16:18

Service references "die" and get re-used for services after some time. If those links are still in srp.index, they will link to the wrong logo. Historically, Ocram used to use a lamedb file from a channel list. The advice was always add new link at top, forget old. The same problem exists with the EPG importer references. I spent the better part of  two hours fixing some UK cable links because someone stopped using SNP and started using SRP.

People who use the SRP picons really need to request updates regularly.

Re: Why umpten hours to upgrade picons...? #20 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,414 posts

+61
Good

Posted 27 June 2018 - 16:20

ideally I also like to split them per sat position, to make them smaller (and not everyone needs them all).

That should be possible if you can filter the references. Or build with lamedb files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users