• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #21 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 18:39

Or use a SCR switch and then "no need for a programmer" ;)

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #22 VenimK

• 37 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 July 2018 - 18:44

Or use a SCR switch and then "no need for a programmer" ;)

Anyone here with such a setup ???

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #23 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 19:02

Yes. Me :)

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #24 VenimK

• 37 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 July 2018 - 19:03

Yes. Me :)

You have a screenshoit or posting about that ?
Are you also using TVheadend or so ?

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #25 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 19:36

I am using (a.o.) a VU+ Ultimo4k with two FBC tuners fitted (1 C and 1 S2) and an additional double "regular" S2 tuner, making 18 tuners in total.

I am using 8 quattro LNB's for 8 positions, they're connected to two JESS switches. One of the switch'es output goes into input 1 of the FBC S2 tuner and the other switch is connected to input 2 of the FBC S2 tuner. I have assigned tuner I/K/L/M/N/O to the first input/switch and tuner J/P to the second switch. Furthermore, I have connected a splitter to the second switch'es cable and connected that to the remaining dual tuner (Q and R), so I have 6 tuners for the first switch and 4 tuners for the second switch.

There is a way to program both switches such that they can share a single cable, but it has the drawback that less tuners (user bands) can be active simultanuously.

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #26 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,229 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 23:53

What JESS switches? I bet they cost a fortune.

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #27 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 14 July 2018 - 14:26

Erik records on a NAS, he doesn't use local disks.

Which, by the way, makes things more difficult as the internal SATA controller is way faster than the network. So Erik's setup proves that it'll even work in tougher situations.
As for bandwidth, it'll be difficult to find any stream that uses more than 10Mbps (the "b" meaning "bit"). With 18 recordings, Erik does not even begin to push the limits on his effectively 480 Mbps network connection to the NAS, as it'll only use about 180 Mbps.

You should also consider the fact that even the ancient dm7025 box (with something like 128MB RAM and a 250MHz CPU) had no problems whatsoever recording 8 simultaneous streams. And yes, that box could record HD streams too (though it could not decode h264 or receive the S2 transponders).

Edited by MiLo, 14 July 2018 - 14:27.

Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #28 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:35

Just a few notes here:

- the UHD receives are fast enough (inclusing NIC) to achieve real Gbps speeds, so my pass through is 1 Gbps minus IPV4/TCP/NFS overhead

- my NAS is a low power ARM device that can't achieve more than 50 Mbps on however fast disks, so that is where the bottleneck is

50 Mbps is quick enough for about 10 HD services, 50 Mbps = 400 megabits/s, say it's 300 megabits/s actual without overhead, then still every service can be 30 megabits/s, which is not realistic.

Re: From 4 to 8 channels at the same time? #29 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:38

What JESS switches? I bet they cost a fortune.

The ones I have, yes, but it seems there are now more affordable ones. A few years ago I bought a Unicable switch for 2 positions to 8 receivers and it costed only 100 euro's. I guess JESS switches should go that way as well. Are there already other manufacturers besides Jultec that make them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users