Power options in menu principal is perfect

the rest of the options remain unchanged

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #62 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2018 - 16:19

But when "Standby / restart" is renamed to "Power options" should I keep the translation already present? It would make no sense.

It is better to show users with other languages the original translation than an English string. 

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #63 nautilus7

• 229 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 18 October 2018 - 16:37

@WanWizard ok, i'll do it like this then.

So for start, I'll change the "Standby / Restart" to "Power options" and change/unify the "Deep standby" and "Shutdown" to "Power down".

I'll change all instances of the above in other places in the code as well, and I'll change all .po files accordingly, so the old translations can be used despite being less accurate.

Let's see how it plays out and we decide then for the "Restart enigma" to "Restart user interface" change. Are we ok?

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #64 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2018 - 16:39

I would keep restart enigma2...

Edited by littlesat, 18 October 2018 - 16:40.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #65 nautilus7

• 229 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 18 October 2018 - 16:47

Yes, I understood that from your previous post.  :P

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #66 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2018 - 17:01

But I do not have a veto ;)

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #67 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2018 - 18:34

I really don't see why we had all those discussion about this. I really see no advantages to use "Power" instead of shutdown / restart. At least "shutdown / restart" clearly state what the menu is for.  "Power" is a non-sense... and about the translation would be better if we can avoid to retranslate everything...

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #68 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2018 - 18:45

You should ask a english native speaking his opinion about this change. But in french if i translate Power literally I need to use "Puissance" which also means nothing.

In english you need to use "Power Up" that I translate in french into "allumer", or "Power down" en french "éteindre", "stand by" in french "mettre en veille".

"shutdown / restart" i can translate with "Arrêter / redémarrer".... "Power" won't means anything if translated into "Puissance".

So this is a total non-sense to just name it: "Power"

Please read the english definition of "Power":

https://en.oxforddic...efinition/power

So if you want to use proper english your menu must be called "Power Up/Down" and not just "Power".

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #69 nautilus7

• 229 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 18 October 2018 - 18:55

The, let's say, final decision was to call the menu "Power options", not just "Power". But you seem to have missed that...

Also, Windows 10 (and previous version I think) use JUST "Power" for their menu... I guess there are no native English speaking people working on Microsoft either, huh? Perhaps you should send THEM the link with the definition of "power", not to me...

If you don't find a reason to rename some options, here's one for you: Because I know no device that has a menu called "Standby / restart" and an option called "Deep standby". I believe this is enough for a change. If you don't agree and most people share the same opinion like you, then we need to change nothing.

But backing up your opinion, which I respect, with the excuse that we'll have "everything retranslated" is bullshit. Thinking like this make enigma2 contain some nice ginglish for years now...

Edited by nautilus7, 18 October 2018 - 18:59.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #70 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 19 October 2018 - 17:04

Windows 10 is using mostly an icon for this, you retrieve the term "power button" in the settings when you want to change its behaviour.

About the translation I say that it is better to keep the existing ones because the terms are used since a long time and are understood by every user (never read any complaints about it except yours).  We only have a few languages really updated by translators, so if you change this many languages will be back to english... but who cares since anyway nobody takes time to translate for those languages... For the french don't worry I will translate all the strings that you will change, this will perhaps means nothing but who cares!

There are more important sentences to improve in OpenPLi than caring about the shutdown / restart....

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #71 nautilus7

• 229 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:13

Windows use an icon as you said, but when you hover it, you get "Power".

Attached File  windows-power.png   42.36KB   2 downloads

Edited by nautilus7, 19 October 2018 - 23:14.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #72 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:18

I wouldn't call Windows an example to blindly follow... ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #73 nautilus7

• 229 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:21

I didn't support that, but pr2 said that using the word "power" or similar for this menu is wrong use of English... 

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #74 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:29

I agree with Pr2, but then we didn't decide on that work for the menu, did we? The word "Power" suggests an action, not a menu with options.

And like Pr2, I'm currently struggling to translate "Power options" (which does make some sense in English) to Dutch. But I don't know anything better...

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #75 nautilus7

• 229 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:32

There are more important sentences to improve in OpenPLi than caring about the shutdown / restart....

Yes, but if such small changes like this menu, result in so much controversy, it makes me think if old members, involved in openpli for years, really want anything to change.

This reminds me of the proposal I did here: https://forums.openp...us-and-screens/ almost a year ago. Another minimal change, that brought up objections as well.

And since such small changes, which are time consuming but I am willing to do, because I feel that will brink a more professional look into the openpli project, raise such controversy and negativism, I loose my joy and motivation to do them...

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #76 nautilus7

• 229 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:34

I agree with Pr2, but then we didn't decide on that work for the menu, did we? The word "Power" suggests an action, not a menu with options.

And like Pr2, I'm currently struggling to translate "Power options" (which does make some sense in English) to Dutch. But I don't know anything better...

That's fine. We can keep "Standby / restart". Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

P.S Just for the record... On my first post I also suggested the "Power control"...

Edited by nautilus7, 19 October 2018 - 23:37.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #77 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:42

The challenge ( I wouldn't say problem ;) ) is the same for all open source development projects. 

They start by some "geek" in an attick room, for his (usually) own pleasure. At some point other "geeks" join in, code gets published, people outside the scene start using the project, and before you know it, you have "endusers".

Now the dynamic of the project changes. And usually it changes in two possible directions:

• the project doesn't want "endusers" nor the responsibility, "geeks" abandon the project, or retract back to their atticks
  • the project "professionalizes", the project changes to adapt to the new audience, attention is given to support, user interface, documentation, release cycles, versioning, etc

OpenPLi is (and has been for the last few years) struggling between the two, being sort of "forced" by events to take the second path due to the popularity of the project.  Professionalizing requires a completely different team organisation, it needs to create some hierarchy in the anarchy, and it requires different still sets as new roles in the organisation need to be created.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #78 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:44

That's fine. We can keep "Standby / restart". Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

I didn't say that, I agree it needs changing, but I also acknowledge that it isn't easy. But I think we need to go for something that sits well in English (which "Power options" sort of does), and leave the rest to the translators.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #79 MCelliotG

• 443 posts

+35
Good

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:08

Hmmmm, I like "Power Options" which is very accurate, but I'm afraid it won't translate well to other languages.

For instance in Greek Power is called "Ισχύς" which also means "strength", so "Power Options" will translate to "Επιλογές ισχύος". I'm not sure how many Greek users will actually take this translation from a technical side of view!
You see, in Greek we don't really use "Power" when we refer to turn on/off a machine.
On the contrary "Power Menu" should be more immediate as "Μενού Ισχύος".

Alternatively, why don't we use "Standby & restart options"?

Edited by MCelliotG, 20 October 2018 - 00:10.

Re: Proposal from renaming the "Standby / restart" menu #80 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:20

Hmmmm, I like "Power Options" which is very accurate, but I'm afraid it won't translate well to other languages.

I know, the same issue exists in French and Dutch. But that shouldn't stop us, this discussion is about the proper English name for the menu item.

How this is translated is up to the translator, he (or she) should select something that makes sense in his (or her) language. In Dutch the word "power" isn't used at all, there is no "power button" but an "on/off button", "power on" is translated as "switch on", etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users