←  [EN] Enduser support

Forums

»

Small receiver for PLi Image

dfdream's Photo dfdream 27 Jun 2008

All,

I have a 7020 with PLi image on it and SKYEPG and it works a dream. (pardon the pun)

What I want to do is to have 2 small receivers around house that talk as clients to DB 7020.

An alternative to the DB 600 would help as this device is too dear to have them in different locations.

I see other linux boxes and wondered if 1: PLi works with other boxes (€130 max) 2: if sky epg works with other boxes and weather I can share my free view sat card with thr other boxes..

Thanks

D

Roodkapke's Photo Roodkapke 27 Jun 2008

Only possible model i know of is the DM500+.
It's compatible to the 7020, and should be cheaper then a DM 600.

Yulaf's Photo Yulaf 27 Jun 2008

I guess by other boxes dfdream is talking about the DM500S clones.
Those are cheap but you cant guarantee future releases will work.
Also DM500S s network performance is not that great. I have an original 500S by the way.
And there is no original 500S is sold at the moment by Dream Multimedia. Lowest config is 500+ as Roodkapke said.

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 27 Jun 2008

You can always see if you can find an original DM500 second hand. Or, if form factor is not an issue, a DM7000, although these still are quite expensive. I've seen people pay 250 euro for a 4 year old box easily... ;)

dfdream's Photo dfdream 27 Jun 2008

By alternatives I didnt mean clones.

I mean boxes from other vendors that have linux and hardware capable of running PLi.

Question - Are clones identical receivers sold as dreambox or devices that look completely different under a different name but identical under the hood ?

What I want to achieve is like having low cost receivers at the commonly used tvs which can record to a network storage and share my freesat card from the 7020.

Ideally i would like it to with PLi as its very stable and I would have a common interface for all to use.

Df

Roodkapke's Photo Roodkapke 27 Jun 2008

Other linuxbased receiver are there, but not in this price range.
Some have ported dreambox images to work, like DGstation.
But it's tricky, and often you will have to live with the fact that not everything is running.
What Wanwizard proposes, trying to buy a second hand dreambox, is the smartest way.

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 27 Jun 2008

Question - Are clones identical receivers sold as dreambox or devices that look completely different under a different name but identical under the hood ?

Some are virtually undetectable as being fake, some are sold under different brand names and have a different look, but inside it's the same clone.

What I want to achieve is like having low cost receivers at the commonly used tvs which can record to a network storage and share my freesat card from the 7020.

This is exactly what I do with my 7000's. They all connect to the same Linux server, and as a PLi image allows concurrent access to the recordings.epl, they all use the same movies directory, so I can record on one box, and watch on another (even while it's still recording).